“Room was fine, vibe kind of odd.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andean Moon Hostal

Andean Moon Hostal
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Room was fine, vibe kind of odd.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Everything was fine but it was not great. If you want spectacular, stay at Casa de Wow a couple streets over. I was staying there and kept extending my stay but there were two nights that Casa de Wow was totally booked and I had to stay at Andean Moon which they referred me to.
The hostal is quite nice with rooms upstairs around a garden courtyard. I negotiated a good rate in the cheapest room which had no windows but was still very nice, basic, with private bath.
I speak very passable and intermediate Spanish but the odd vibe came from everyone looking at me like I was an alien when I tried to speak to them. Very frustrating. Not a very friendly staff and no such thing as customer service. If you want exceptional service, go over to Casa de Wow. But again, all in all, this place was fine. Hot water, quiet room, all good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Normal, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

After finding the hostal, which was a little difficult, although it is close to the central plaza where you were dropped off by your bus, things seemed okay. The hostal is quaint, has a good view and its fairly rustic. The rooms are fairly sparse but enough for a hostal. Here is where the big problem comes in. I dont know if this is next door to a nightclub or something, but at about 930pm music started pumping into the room. Maybe it was the holiday, I am not sure, but it continued until 435am!!! It sounded like it was right outside and I made a point to check but it wasnt. So this pumping music, with the combination or our room window facing the street where people walked by at all hours, it was impossible to sleep. That morning was our trek to Machu Picchu, as I am sure was the case for most people. Its hard to enjoy that when you get 3 hours of sleep. When the owner should have at the very least been giving immense apologies at checkout, or even a refund, he offered nothing at all. It was actually a fairly awkward checkout. This was the worst nights sleep of my entire life, and had it not been for our own resiliency, our trip to Machu Picchu may have been ruined. I dont know if this happened nightly, on weekends or what, but you will be taking your own risk when you stay here.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from street facing windows, if possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Ollantaytambo hotels

Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Of the places to stay in Ollantaytambo, this was a good last-minute pick. A little bit off of the main square, it seemed quieter than many of the comparable places we looked at. It was basic, but clean. Hot water and wi-fi. Breakfast was the basic coffee/bread deal. The owner was a gem - kind and very helpful (he even assisted us in getting a taxi to Cuzco!). Not much English spoken here (though this was the case around a lot of the town and surrounding area).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mvs333
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very peaceful, tranquil lodge tucked away down one of the ancient narrow Inca streets only 50 metres from the main plaza. We stayed in the low season so were able to negotiate a good price. We got a price almost half that of the normal price. I kind of felt bad but pretty much all of the accommodation in Ollantaytambo was more than what we would normally pay in Peru so we agreed on what we could afford.
The building is very old and has loads of character and charm. There is a lovely central courtyard and a bit of a roof terrace which is primarily used for drying laundry but does offer great views over the town and the ruins. Breakfast is included but is only the usual bread, jam and concentrated coffee affair. We were told we got eggs but they never appeared on the second day. Wifi is free and reliable and we found the staff very friendly. This is a nice place to spend a couple of nights if visiting Ollantaytambo, which you really should.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iammmattdoran
Portales, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We bought a tour to Machu Pichu and this hotel was a part of that itinerary. Upon our arrival the host was very accomodating. Very nice atmosphere. The employees also are friendly and helpful. If you don't speak spanish you will have a hard time communicating not only at the hotel but in the whole town. The shower worked well and there WAS hot water. The secret is don't turn it on full blast like you would in the U.S. A quarter of a turn is sufficient. The breakfast consists of hot coffee or tea, flat bread with jam, a glass of juice and a scrambled egg if you ask for it. Very common breakfast in Peru. Clean enough for a day or so. Common area is swept and mopped daily sometimes more often depending on foot traffic and weather conditions. There is a balcony to view the nearby ruins and mountains. We found it to be safe, secure and comfortable. When there aremany people staying there, it can get a little noisy but that is usually the story everywhere. All in all we had a very good experience and would recommend it to any traveler. Just remember YOU ARE IN PERU.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne T
San Salvador, El Salvador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I called the owner the night before from Aguas Calientes and asked for single rooms to which he agreed. The next day he was waiting for me at the train station. He was a very nice and polite man and remained so even though he got hammered with his brother that same night in front of us, which I thought was kind of odd. The hotel itself is very nice. It is very close to the city center and walking distance to everywhere in town. The rooms and hotel have a nice wood design. No internet in the rooms but internet in the lobby. The hot water does not work very well and this is a must in cold Peru. Breakfast is basically just like every hostel breakfast in Peru: pita bread, jam, butter, coffee, juice or tea. Don't expect to much. I only paid $20. Even though he got drunk and his brother and his brother's wife were loud drunks he was a helpful and polite drunk. It was a good night's stay.

Room Tip: Make sure the hot water is working.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Carlos R
Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed in this hostel in July 2012. The management of the hostel is not very professional and many things are wrong. Shower was cold, water in shower didn't go down the right way, no internet, the street underneath the windows can be very noisy, for breakfast I was given only one dry peace of bread, on the website they talk about Yacuzzy and sauna - they are not in use and look like they aren't used for a longggggg time! Or never? They look very poor and sad.
I booked three nights but after one night of sleep the owner threw me out of the hostel because he booked a big group with Americans. He even wanted me to pay for three nights! He didn't let me go without paying! In the end I didn't pay for three nights. I'm a teacher in the university, I've been very polite. I don't understand why the owner has been so rude!
Positive: young man at the door and woman in kitchen were very friendly and the wood work in the room was very nice.
There are many(over 25) hostels in Ollantaytambe. I stayed in two who were very nice and I'm for sure most hostels are good or very good. DON'T stay in this one!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo