“Great place, great owner”
Review of Andean Moon Hostal

Andean Moon Hostal
San Salvador, El Salvador
“Great place, great owner”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I called the owner the night before from Aguas Calientes and asked for single rooms to which he agreed. The next day he was waiting for me at the train station. He was a very nice and polite man and remained so even though he got hammered with his brother that same night in front of us, which I thought was kind of odd. The hotel itself is very nice. It is very close to the city center and walking distance to everywhere in town. The rooms and hotel have a nice wood design. No internet in the rooms but internet in the lobby. The hot water does not work very well and this is a must in cold Peru. Breakfast is basically just like every hostel breakfast in Peru: pita bread, jam, butter, coffee, juice or tea. Don't expect to much. I only paid $20. Even though he got drunk and his brother and his brother's wife were loud drunks he was a helpful and polite drunk. It was a good night's stay.

Room Tip: Make sure the hot water is working.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Carlos R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed in this hostel in July 2012. The management of the hostel is not very professional and many things are wrong. Shower was cold, water in shower didn't go down the right way, no internet, the street underneath the windows can be very noisy, for breakfast I was given only one dry peace of bread, on the website they talk about Yacuzzy and sauna - they are not in use and look like they aren't used for a longggggg time! Or never? They look very poor and sad.
I booked three nights but after one night of sleep the owner threw me out of the hostel because he booked a big group with Americans. He even wanted me to pay for three nights! He didn't let me go without paying! In the end I didn't pay for three nights. I'm a teacher in the university, I've been very polite. I don't understand why the owner has been so rude!
Positive: young man at the door and woman in kitchen were very friendly and the wood work in the room was very nice.
There are many(over 25) hostels in Ollantaytambe. I stayed in two who were very nice and I'm for sure most hostels are good or very good. DON'T stay in this one!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Ollantaytambo hotels

NW California
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We spent one night here after visiting Machu Picchu. The room was clean and basic. There was a TV, but it did not work. There is no wi-fi or any internet connectivity. The beds were okay, comfortable enough, but we were pretty tired after a day of hard hiking. The location is excellent as it is about 2 minutes from the main plaza. It is a bit of a walk from the train station, however. There is no breakfast.

We stored our bags during the day and went to tour both the town and adjacent ruins. We decided to go back and get a few items out of our bags and the doors were locked with no one around. We knocked but got no response. We went and had some lunch, came back an hour so so later and someone was at the desk. It seems this is a very small business, so if they have to do some shopping or run errands the doors get locked.

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. I might try to find one closer to the train station, if only to minimize the walk after our long day in Machu Picchu.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Very nice, quiet, pretty hostal a few minutes from the main square. Near restaurants and grocery stores. My room had two beds with about 30 pounds of blankets, a private bathroom with hot shower, a chair, table, large bamboo shelving unit, a working TV, and a balcony opening out to one of the ancient cobbled streets with a view of the Inka ruins. Wooden floors, rustic feel, simple but pleasant decor. Seems very secure. There was a jacuzzi downstairs that didn't seem to be in service.

I did not try the continental breakfast so I don't know how that was (continental breakfasts are usually dull in Peru so I prefer to go out for something spicy). They don't sell much here, just bottled water and Cusquena beer.

If you go here, check out the restaurant El Alcazar a block away on the same street, which had great food and vegetarian options. Too bad they don't have a listing on this site.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 20, 2010

The location is great - within 2 minutes walking distance of the Ollantaytambo ruins and the main plaza - and 15 minutes walk to Ollanta Station.

Ollantaytambo is a small town - and if this place wants to compete well with other hotels/hostals in the area, they need to step up their game just a little bit.

We stayed in room 4 for one night and the bathroom desperately needs to be repaired. Our shower flooded the bathroom floor each time we took a shower - no matter how we adjusted the shower curtain or direction of the shower head, the stall would flood and water would drain out onto the bathroom floor. In addition, the lock on the bathroom window (which leads directly out into the outdoor hallway) is missing. I had to use a curtain pin to secure the window shut.

We also found the staff to be a bit too relaxed. When we gave them our passports (required when checking into a hotel in Peru), and they had them stacked hours later on the reception counter - essentially out in the open, and available for anyone to snatch.

When my Mom and I came down to the dining room for breakfast - approx a couple hours after a large group had left - every table in the room had not been bussed yet. It was a messy sight. Although, our server immediately set up a table for us and brought out our breakfast, she didn't clean up the surrounding tables.

Andean Moon has alot of potential, but we feel there's alot of room left for improvement.

• Stayed October 2010
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed June 30, 2010

If you go to this hostel, make sure there will be somebody at the reception.
We came at midnight from Machu Picchu and we had left our bagage there the day before. They knew we were arriving on that date at that time. When we arrived at midnight there was nobody waiting for us. We spent more than 30 minutes knocking on the door and nobody opened the door. The day after we asked why nobody was there and they didn't even said "sorry".
We went to Chaska Wasi, which is cheaper and just next to it.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We stayed here in May 2009 as part of a GAP Inca Trail trip. This is a cute rustic little place - very compact and basic. and would suit someone who is just looking for a place to rest their head and nothing more. Good location just minutes walk down a passage to the main square. We also had breakfast here which was also very basic but good enough for our needs - they don't have an actual restaurant, but there is a little dining room between the rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple