“Fantastic time with QUECHUAS EXPEDITIONS”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Inca Trail

and up
5-Day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Tour from Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Slatington, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fantastic time with QUECHUAS EXPEDITIONS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I did the 4 day trek on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchua on November 10-13, 2014 with Quechuas Expeditions and it was a fantastic experience. We did a lot of research on the trail and several companies, and chose Quechuas Expeditions because they are locally owned. We were disappointed at first when we found out that it would only be the 2 of us, 1 guide,1 cook and 4 porters. We expected more hikers. But it was great! Like a private tour and we able to set our own pace without feeling like we had to keep up with the group. Our guide, Carlos was was excellent! He was very informative explaining things about the trail, the flora & fauna, and all of the ruins along the way. He was very supportive and encouraging and safety was the #1 priority. He shared all of our excitement of the trail and hugged us when we made it over Dead Woman's Pass, acting silly with us in our pictures. The whole team was very supportive. They showed care and love in everything they did for us. From carrying all of the equipment, setting up the camps and cooking. When we struggled on day 3 and ended up hiking in the dark, 2 porters climbed back up the trail, carried our packs and hiked with us to our camp, we they all cheered for us. .
What can we say about the food? FANTASTIC !! We were asked at our briefing if we had any food issues. We said we were open to all things Peruvian.We are avid backpackers, and lunch on a trail for us is sitting on a rock and eating fuit or a freezed dried meal on the Jetboil. Our lunches and dinners were served in a dinning tent with a table & chairs, table cloth and real plates and silverware. In celebration of our 30th anniversary, we were served a special meal of roasted Guinea Pig and all the trimmings, including a cake with pink icing. Amazing what the cook was able to accomplish at high elevations and on gas stove.
The camping euipment was excellent! We had a 3-person 4-season tent, down sleeping bags( that we rented) and the really good, thick Thermarest sleep pads. We were never cold, wet or uncomfortable.The rental trekking poles were top notch.
We bonded so well with the entire team. It was very emotional when we had to say goodbye to everyone. Lots of tears & hugs.
Every detail was taken care of, including our train tickets and a driver to take us back to Cusco. We planned for 2 years for this trip of a lifetime and is was beyond anything we expected.
There are not enough words to thank Quechuas Expeditions and "Team Charlie Brown" for making this THEE best trip we ever had. Keep up the good work ! Should you decide to go with this company. please tip your team well. They are very hard working and deserve it !!!

A truly amazing trip to Machu Picchu, and an amazing company !

** a side note for basic info: we could've skipped the extra money for the vista dome train ticket. It was raining and the windows were too foggy to see out of. And we were so exhausted from the trek to even pay attention. Besides... we just saw one of the 7 wonders of the world ! How can you top that !!!??

Visited November 2013

• Polish first
Cleveland, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Couldn't have planned it better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Back in November my wife and I used Adios Adventure to our first trip to Peru and though we knew we didn't have to worry much we had no idea how perfect everything was going to be. Our guide Hubert Jaquehua Callo was awesome the whole trip and full of way more information than our brains could soak up, the best part of having him as a guide was it was more like being shown around as a friend that opposed to someone being paid to give you info. If yor going to plan something special that allows you to just enjoy the ride while taking great cultural aspects then these are your people. We can't say thank you enough to Jacquie and Hubert.
We had decided to get married in Peru. We wanted a very spiritual and unique ceremony. Jaquie made plans for us to have an Andean Shaman Edgar perform the ceremony in a location called the Sacred Valley. We new it was beautiful, as are most places in Peru, but we still didn't know what to expect. When Hubert brought us to the location we were blown away. Not only was it breathtaking, but it was more than we could have ever hoped for. The Shaman was spectacular, the ceremony was one of a kind, and having Hubert there to help us celebrate and share in our journey was great because it was having a friend with us we didn't expect.
From day one we didn't have to worry about a thing. Jaquie took care of everything making our trip a relaxing one, and Hubert took such great care of us and was so informative that we will never forget this trip, and we look forward to going back to Peru and using Adios Adventure again.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Daniel S
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“One of the most amazing things I've ever done in my life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Inca trail is no walk in the park, it's a tough hike over and around the mountains following the ancient trail to Machu Picchu. It's an expensive trip too, but I'd still say it is worth every penny.

The trail itself is around 45km long and takes you all the way up to 4250km. Day two is sweat and tears, ask anyone who has hiked inca trail(: Day three was my personal favorite with 9h of hiking, several inca sites on the way, jungle, up and down the hill... just amazing! And the sense of accomplishment you get when you finally make it to Machu Picchu is just incredible.

You can choose to carry your own personal stuff or hire a full porter. The porters carry all the tents, kitchen, food, everything - and they make the trail in sandals or worn out converse shoes, double the speed you'd ever be able to do it. Remember to carry enough cash with you to tip them well at the end! The food was awesome and we even got a cake up in the mountains(:

Tip: arrive to Cuzco 2-3 days prior to your hike to get used to the altitude. If you've never been so high up in the mountains, start taking altitude pills two days before and continue taking them + drink coca tea, eat coca candy and munch on coca leafs (not a drug, will not make you high but might show cocaine in drug tests if you have to take them back home, so keep in mind) to feel better. I personally did all of those and it really helped. You don't want to miss the trail because you get altitude sickness!

Accommodation tip: stay in Ecopackers Cuzco, amazing hostel!

Visited December 2013
12 Thank EmmaHeikkinen
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“'Quechuas Expeditions' a good local company!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Good planning is the key to a successful trek on the Inca trail. Top on the list would be a good tour company to lead you. We did our research and would highly recommend a small local company to those who wants a short cut. Quechuas Expeditions based in Cusco served us well from time of contact, transferring money, acquiring our permits and delivering what they promised. Our guide, Juan, Armando our cook and our porters were friendly and couldn't be more professional. We were very happy with our equipment, service and care on the entire trek. There was one night of torrential rain and we didn't have a single leak in the tent.If anyone is considering this trek, bear in mind that you can do it at any age, but you must be relatively fit with good knees and get acclimatized to the altitude before you embark on the trek. We are senior citizens, spent 4 days in and around Cusco ahead of time and that prooved beneficial. If you do a lot of walking at home that is good, but try some exercises that will prepare you for going down tall steps.....there are miles of those! A pair of good hiking boots, worn in, are another must. Anyone considering this at all should do it! The sense of accomplishment is tremendous when you reach the Sungate and catch that first glimpse of Machu Picchu below you. A final thank you to our guide, Juan, who made all this possible.

Visited October 2013
11 Thank pico49
Swansea, United Kingdom
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Tough but worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I felt I had to visit Machu Picchu by trekking the Inca Trail. I trained as much as I could but although I was fit enough, the altitude got me.. As soon as I arrived in Cusco, I had difficulty breathing. I did not suffer from any sickness, just breathing. After the first day, I really thought I would not be able to complete the trek as I struggled to breath after walking just a few steps, but my lovely guide Elias persuaded me that I could. He said it is not a race, just take my time. Thank goodness I did as the sense of achievement is amazing. I went with Gecko on my own and everything was well organised.
The most amazing part for me, was watching the porters running - yes running - up and down the steps with 25Kg on their backs wearing cheap sandals. Terrific guys. They would reach our camp before us, set up the tents and have hot water for us to wash, then prepare a 3 course meal. On a couple of burners. How? They probably don't even have sleeping bags. Then after breakfast and lunch, they would pack up and run to the next campsite and set up all over again.

I wanted to give a much bigger tip than that suggested but my mean Australian co-walkers did not want to tip more. These porters are supermen and deserve as much as we can give them. They get paid very little considering what they do over 4 days...

My tent was great and the sleeping bag I rented was so snuggly and warm. Don't take a regular one, you will freeze unless it is of polar standard.
The trek was hard (I am 61), long days walking up steps but the scenery was amazing and my arrival in MP was such an achievement.
Just before the Sun Gate we approached the "Oh my God" steps. As you round the corner and look up and see the narrow, steep steps, we all said "oh my God".. I did not think I could get up, but Elias said climb like a monkey on all fours. I am sorry to say I had to as they gave me vertigo.

Drawback is that despite numbers being limited, there are a lot of people on the trail every day.
We would wait till most left their camp in the mornings so at least had the feeling we were alone, some of the time.
There are parts which are quite dangerous, narrow ledges to walk over, rocky steps which could twist an ankle, very steep drops if one is not careful. So if you suffer from a bad head for heights, this is not for you.

At the camps there were toilets/showers with cold water. I did not see anyone showering! And with so many people using a couple of toilets (with the paper going in a bin), they very quickly got full and smelly!! They were washed down every morning though! So take plenty of wet wipes with you. Luckily I did not need to pee during the trek as in many parts, there is no cover. Okay for boys of course!
I went November 2012 and it was so damp that it was impossible to dry anything in camp, so I slept in my dry clothes and put my damp socks and trousers on again in the morning. They dried a bit during the walk unless it rained again. Also take walking poles - I could not have completed the trek without them. Most especially going down as the rocky steps are very dangerous.

I am so glad I did the trek - a great achievement for an old lady of 61. Something to remember all my life but I now know not to undertake any more treks at high altitude....

Visited February 2013