“More stunning scenery with every step!”
Review of Inca Trail

$847.99*
The Inca Trail: 4-Day Trek to Machu Picchu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Manchester
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“More stunning scenery with every step!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Before you start do a thorough research about tour company you pick as many still don't look after their porters well.There is limited number of people allowed on the trail per day so book well in advance and also you are not allowed on the trail without a certified giude and porters. I did it with Gadventures and after talking with the porters themselves during the trek and observing them throughout I could tell they had one of the best equipment I've seen and seemed genuinely happy in their jobs. Make sure you have the right equipment like shoes, remember you'll be out there for 4 days and can't just pop off to the nearest shop!No need for boots, hiking shoes are fine as long as they are waterproof. You can hire a sleeping bag but I've read some bad reviews so I brought my own and for a small charge hired a foam mattress. Most people have to take it slow due to the altitude making you feel like you've just run 10 miles all the time but it's manageable if you are at least averagely fit. Remember altitude sickness affects people regardless of their fitness levels, so if you are having any symptoms tell your guide straight away!As I've mentioned in the name there is about a million photo opportunities so bring extra battery for your camera and take your time to turn around to catch the best views.It gets cold up there so pack some thermals.Hope you'll be lucky and the weather holds,it really doesn't matter what season you go in- I went during rainy season and it never rained!There was some fog, so The sun gate was really The fog gate but apart from that.....And lastly:don't look in the mirror when you get back! After 4 days of hiking,admiring the marvel of Machu Picchu but no showers, nobody looks their best :-)

Visited January 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Inca Trail”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My friend and I used the services of G Tours to hike the Inca Trail with a group of 16 hikers from all over the world and all I can say is to train well and enjoy. You will be dirty and tired but rewarded with a site that relatively few will see as the experience becomes very intimate since only 500 or fewer are allowed on the trail on any day in an effort to preserve it and due to wsear and tear it is closed in February for clean up. I can only imagine this will become more limited so I'm glad that I completed this trip on my bucket list. We went in late October which was sunny and comfortable. There is a tour group out of Cusco called Peru Advenuture Paradise which is owned and operated by a local named Ozzie Porcell and he makes the experience come to life as he is of Inca descent and has been traveled the world. He is loved locally and brings the trip to life beyond what I expected! Do not miss this trip!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank hoochiekpt
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Inca trail”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

What a experience travelling through the andes on our way to machu picchu. I am so happy we decided to take the trail rather than the quick route of the train. It was a test of determination and a willingness to complete the journey. I would highly recommend this trip. We used g adventures and everything from the tents, food etc to the treatment of the g adventure staff was wonderful.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Karen G
Elon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tough but so worth it.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Its hard. I am 47 and it took all i had to climb some of the hills but like all things that come with effort, it was worth it. The views are amazing and the people you meet is lifelong event.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank dbostranderElon
Toronto, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“4 years later... still my favourite vacation adventure!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did the Inca Trail hike in March 2009, and to this day... it is one of our best vacations that we frequently recommend to others! We booked it 6 months in advance due to the limited number of daily permits. We travelled with Gap Adventures (now G adventures) and our group of 16 came from all over the world (Australia, US, Denmark, Canada, Sweden). We started in Cusco and arrived a day earlier in order to help with acclimatization.

The next 4 days and 3 nights were really quite exhilarating! Memories of steep climbs UP on days 1 and 2 to the peak, chewing coca leaves for energy! Then back all the way DOWN on day 3 with beautiful historic Inca ruins along the way. Our fantastic porters would carry everything to the next camp site and set everything up for us while we hiked at leisure with our amazing guides Percy & Rosie. Comfortable tented camps & yummy hot meals awaited us at the end of each day. There was a warm shower facility on day 3 - which everyone appreciated! We woke up at 3am on the last day and trekked in the rain to get to the sun gate only to find views of clouds.

After hiking the 42km trail, there's a real sense of accomplishment when finally arriving at Machu Picchu!!! Nothing compares to the feeling of being all wet & sweaty before everyone else and having time to explore without the other "clean" tourists. Don't forget to bring altitude meds, antibiotics & a flashlight...and for those planning to go during the wet season like we did... ponchos & extra layers for the peak!

This was a trip of a lifetime. Highly recommend this original trail to anyone looking for a challenging adventure!

Visited March 2013