“Incredible - Uncover Latin America, Do some Stretching”
Review of Inca Trail

and up
Private Overnight Tour: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Incredible - Uncover Latin America, Do some Stretching”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

A challenge but not only a reward at the end but the whole 4 days was amazing. We booked our trip through Uncover Latin America who not only prepared our trek but of whole 2 weeks in Peru. We were well looked after the whole trip. We were relly surprised by the food we really were not expecting it to be as good. The highlight of the trek was seiing Machu Picchu from the Sungate, the photos really do not do it any justice, being there surrounded by the nature and hearing the hummingbirds and smelling the flowers really is a relaxing and magical feeling. We finished up with a lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge afterwards where we te a delicious buffet. Our other time in Peru was spent afterwards at the Reserva Amazonica Jungle Lodge, which is the top jungle lodge in Peru just 30 minute flight from Cusco with several flights leaving daily. We also spent 2 days in Lima and met up with Ben from Uncover Latin America who took us out to a ceviche restaurant called La Mar. Was great to put a face to the voice over the phone, very plesant and gve us a call up our return home.

Some useful thing to pack for the Inca Trail that you may not have thought of previously is bring some Wet Wipes as well as toilet paper, does come in handy, nd bring a small torch to help navigate your ay around at night. Also while in Cusco before doing your trek Ben gave us some good advice, do some stretching exercises especilly for the knees and calves. We stayed overnight after the Inca Trail keen to soak those sore muscles, I brought some Radox!! I highly recommend the Inca Trail and Uncover Latin America for your upcoming trek.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Wheaton, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Cusco, the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My two friends and I used the company Culturas Peru for our trip to Peru, including tours in the Cusco area and the hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. I can honestly say that Culturas was the most amazing company I have ever worked with. From our arrangements while still in the United States to every detail in Peru--hotels, hiking, airport transfers, etc. there was no detail too small for them to care about. They even worked hard to get our luggage returned to us when the airline we flew from the United States did not bring it along on our flight down. As so many have mentioned the Inca Trail was a tremendous physical challenge, but so amazing at every turn. Our porters were kind and thoughtful, our cook prepared incredible meals while we were on the trail (we still cannot believe how he did this out in the wilderness), and we had an extraordinary guide, Hernan Hermoza who was thoughtful, knowledgeable, supportive, and attended to everything we needed. We could not believe how well versed Hernan was on so many different subjects--botany, history, zoology, astronomy, and he shared all of that with us. Truly when we departed from Peru, we knew we had made a new friend in Hernan and were sad that our trip was at an end. If you are planning a trip to hike the Inca Trail in Peru, you could not chose a better company than Culturas Peru, whose manager Marco arranged every detail from start to finish for us. Moreover, if you go with Culturas, try to get Hernan as your guide. It will be wonderful.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Pam Z
Canton, Michigan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Incredible”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. It was the most difficult and intense physical experience I've ever had, but I loved every minute. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Getting to Machu Picchu at the end was almost anticlimactic after the trail. Although exhausted, I was sad it was over.

The scenery, particularly over Dead Woman's Pass, is breathtaking. The husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'd love to return and do some of the other treks available.

My only tip that I haven't seen on this site is to get gloves if you use poles. Our guide, who was awesome, wore fingerless gloves, like weight lifting gloves while we trekked. I understood why after a few hours the first day, although ultimately I found it easier without poles.

Visited July 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“So good as Machu Picchu”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It's a must do life experience! The trekking worths each step!
4 days with amazing views and archaeological sites as good as Machu Picchu.
It demands a good endurance although the trail is very good marked and the guides are very helpful.
You need to book it at least 3 months before your travel in order to achive the Inca Trail. There are many other trails not so good though.
If you are not so strong to carry your backpack or if you want to relax you should plan to pay some lumper to carry it to you, it's not so expensive.
The entrance fee of Machu Pichu is very expensive in comparison with all the other sight seeing places.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Nidhog
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Experience of a lifetime”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hiking the Inca Trail was the experience of a lifetime. It isn't easy (day 2 has you climbing uphill for nearly 7 hours), but the views are well worth the effort. The trail takes you from the mountains to the jungle, with opportunities to visit several other ruins before you reach Machu Picchu.

I recommend training for the hike, carrying a pack the size you intend to carry on the trek. It may seem obvious, but being ready to hike many hours a day for several days in a row will make this a more enjoyable experience for you.

Check into the company you decide to go with: some treat the porters better than others, and some even sponsor programs in the communities (so you know your money is being put to good use). If you're thinking about it, do it: it's worth it!

Visited June 2013