“Once in a Lifetime”
Review of Inca Trail

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Everyone must do this trek once in their life. You go through a lot of different ecosystems while passing by many Incan ruins. Words can't describe how amazing it is.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,948)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"lunch and dinner"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We came from the Sacred Valley and exited the train at kilometer 104. Be sure to get your permit and round trip train tickets well in advance as both tend to sell out way in advance. From the train station at Kilometer 104 to Mach Picchu is 6.8 miles. Because reservations are required the trail is far from crowded; you will see the crowds at Mach Picchu. We went with a group, but the trail is very clear and there would be almost no way to get lost. Just go up and down a lot of stairs

4  Thank bbmf4
Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you are thinking about doing the inca trail, Say YES!!!! because its an experience you dont fully understand until your actually there! Make sure you do the actual Inca trail and not the other options because its amazing! we did it in November 2012 and it says that its 4 out of 5 difficulty but I think its a little it harder than that, its alot of up hill and mostly stairs, big stairs and by the 3rd day all your muscles are sore but honestly you forget everything when you finally get to macchu picchu!!!
The scenery was just incredible, and there are lots of old left ruins along the way which you dont get alot of in the other tour options! when it rains its either really heavy for a short time in which you get saturated or very light and annoying because it goes all day! and the weather is so unpredicable and your constantly taking your jackets an things off!
we didnt use hiking shoes and we were really lucky it was only light rain and our ponchos stopped alot of the rain but i would probably suggest that hiking shoes are a good idea if your planning on going in the wet season.
I would also reccomend water proof pants, I wore good workout tights which repelled the water a bit which was ok but my husband only had track pants and they got pretty wet!
definately take
poncho
hiking shoes
water proof pants and if not definately a waterproof jacket
hat
sunscreen
beanie
head torch
hiking pole( we took our own but you can hire them instead which i would suggest)
sleeping bag( you can hire them, we did its better than having to pack one)
a tiny pillow
camera with second battery
a few extra pairs of socks
toilet paper
tissues
hand sanitizer
Gastro stop( I got sick and this came in so so handy)
you dont need water crystals because when your thirsty you dont care that the water tastes a bit different
money, there is a few spots where you can purchase powerade and things which i needed coz I got sick
a different top for each day
deoderant
a mirror
thermals( we didnt really need them coz the sleeping bags were super warm but definately take them)
panadol for headaches becuase of the altitude
we took altitude sickness tablet which your suppose to take two days before we got to cusco but we forgot and i had a dull headache the whole 4 days

The Porters were amazing and so nice!! most of them cant speak english so its beneficial to try and learn a bit of spanish because its not like thailand or bali where alot of people speak english. The tour leaders speak almost perfect english barring a fe words and things! and the food is AMAZING!!!! the best food you will get on the entire trip and its all healthy and mostly organic!

so just if your thinking about doing it, I would definately recommend it, its something you need to be there to understand when someone tells you its just amazing! and the fact that you treked 43km to get there and feel like a train has hit you just makes being there so much better! It was incredible!!!!

16  Thank Shannon B
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Although the trail is quite strenuous and one has to be in very good condition, the views from the trail and the sense of exhilaration one feels at reaching the end of the trail are beyond belief. This is an experience NOT to be missed!!

9  Thank evelyn_abravanel
See more reviews
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Camino Inka is the one of the finest ways to see Machu Picchu! If you can; you should. Those taking the bus will miss so many tangible perks along the way, like multiple other ruins and explanations of their use; increadible vistas; edible berries; cold showers [brrrr]; llama's walking through your camp in the middle of the night. Not to mention the friends you make, the locals you meet; the history provided by your guide; the meals, the sense of accomplishment, especially after making Dead Woman's Pass. And so much more.

Xtremetour Bulencia is the trekking company I went with after hours of research. Wilber [the owner] picked me up at the airport and drove me to my hostel. He explained the basics and answered all my questions. He was polite, professional and took all the time I needed.

Rolando was our guide; very polite, fun, patient and knowledgable. Our group was scheduled for nine trekkers, but four others failed to show due to altitude sickness. So, we went with only five; it was great having such a small group. The porters worked very hard and were very focused on every aspect of our comfort. The equipment was in excellent condition. The food was wonderfull! There was great veriety and plenty of it; you couldn't go hungry if you tried. They brought hot coca tea to our tent each morning. And, brought warm water both morning and night to wash up with. We had plenty of boiled drinking water as well. The porters could have been better dressed, but they appeared comfortable and in good spirits all the time. My cost was $440 USD which included a single suppliment for my own tent. Still a little high, in my opinion, for off season but not out of the realm of reasonable.

Everything was excellent. The whole trip was well planned out and executed without one problem. I highly recommend this company! Enjoy the journey

5  Thank TrailRabbit