“fabulous experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Best way to get to Machu Pichu - walk the Inca trail! To be at the Sun Gate looking down at Machu Pichu, all altitude headaches, sore muscles and 4 days without a shower are all forgotten. This has to be one of the best experiences ever. Take your time looking around and try to go before or after peak tourist season.

6 Thank bjm286

• Turkish first
Davis, California
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“One of those "pinch me--am I really here?" moments!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

No picture you have ever seen quite prepares you for the actual sight of Machu Picchu when you are standing at the overlook seeing the ruins in person. It is breath-taking. We were 4 sisters traveling independently so hired a guide right outside the ruins who spoke excellent English & took us through the ruins in about 3 hours. Very reasonable & he was very respectful of our need to take it slowly.
We had bought our tickets ahead online for the museum plus entry & hiking Wayna Picchu & entry the second day. Our biggest disappointment was there is no easy way to see the museum without walking there (about a mile each way---uphill back into Agua Calientes). It is not possible to take the bus unless you are willing to walk back into town & purchase a 2nd ticket for the bus ride up to Machu Picchu. This is something that needs to be addressed by the tourist company who handles the route.
Never the less we were mesmerized by the ruins & the history that goes with it.
We attempted the climb to Wayna Picchu but gave up early on as the drop-offs are huge, the trail is narrow & in our old age (60s) we have issues with great heights. Still was fun to see the trail & make the attempt. The altitude at MP is really not an issue as we had already been to Lake Titicaca (12,000 feet).

14 Thank Patty6-13
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Like in Avatar movie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Breathtaking! You won't regret if you go. I bought an early morning ticket and got there at about 7 am. 4 hours is enough to spend on site. I was solo and din't hire a guide. Toilets are outside and costs 1 sole so don't drink too much water but nevertheless take a water bottle because it was really hot up there ;)

10 Thank Liza L
Edmonton, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“trip of a lifetime, an absolute 'must-do'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have travelled a lot, having been in 37 different countries for personal or professional travel reasons. But my recent trip to Peru and the trek on the Inca trail to Machu Picchu was one of the highlights of all my travels. We booked our trip with Luz Marina Anaya, who is the general manager of ALL SOUTH AMERICA travel agency (allsouthamerica@yahoo.com). Not a single detail was overlooked! Luz met us at the airport and arranged an English-speaking driver to safely transport us to our fabulous hotel in Miraflores, Lima. The next day, Luz guided us around the city of Lima and took us to all the highlights in the city. She accompanied us to the airport for the flight to Cusco, and while in Cusco, Luz kept us busy (while we acclimatized to the altitude) with city tours and guided trips to the Inca ruins around Cusco. Luz is incredibly knowledgeable of and very pround of her Inca herritage. The three guides( Jario, Darwin and Elias) who joined us for the trek on the Inca trail, and the 37 porters were absolutely incredible as well. Luz and the guides are very respectful and protective of the porters and the extreme work they do. The food we had on the trek could only be described as gourmet, nothing at all like what I would expect to eat while camping on a mountain in Peru! Fresh trout, fresh vegetables, beef, lama, fresh baked bread, french toast and omlet stations for breakfast, hot mulled wine at 'tea time' after finishing Dead Woman's Pass... and champagne at the Sun Gate overlooking Machu Picchu. We did the classic trail in 4 days (many do it in 3) and I would highly recommend the more liesurly pace. We were up and hiking by 8 every day, but we finished each evening by 4-5'ish. We had time to see the Inca ruins along the way and enjoy the camp sites at night. Rather than getting us up in the middle of the night for the last day of the trek (as many outfitters do) to see the sun-rise at the Sun Gate, we made the downhill trek on the last day to arrive at the Sun Gate at 4. When we arrived, the hoard of visitors to Machu Picchu that day had already left the site and we were able to see Machu Picchu as it is in the postcards... without people thronging over the site! Luz's planning of this trek getting us into Machu Picchu late on the 4 day also allowed us to stay the night at a fantastic 5 star hotel (Incaterra) in Aguas Calientes, to be well rested and clean before going back up to Machu Picchu the next day for her guilded tour of Machu Picchu with time to explore at our liesure, and climb Huayna Picchu.... a grueling climb (1hr straight up, 45 min down), but well worth it if there are no clouds/rain and you can actually see Machu Picchu from the top. After Machu Picchu/Cusco, we hopped down Lake Titikaka to see the floating islands. The bus ride down was long and boring but you do see the rural country side on the 10 hour/300 km ride. I'd recommend flying instead of the bus or train. But even the long bus trip was worth it just to spend the 2 hours on the floating Uros islands... definately a site to be seen and experienced in person. I was so impressed with this trip and all the planning and organizing that Luz Anaya did... I can not say enough good things about the trip. I would do this whole trip again (the trek was not difficult) and if/when I do this or another trip to Peru, I will definately have Luz/All South America tour agency plan my trip.

15 Thank Marni W
New York City, New York, USA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Must see in person”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pictures don't do it any justice. I was able to survive the classic trail and saw the city at the sungate before sunrise. It's very breath taking and amazing. There is absolutely no one in Machu Picchu at the time and I was able to get some amazing pictures in before tourists start arriving by bus. The city itself takes about 2-3 hours to walk around (our guide was our tour). Pretty amazing, but we were not able to hike Huyana Picchu since our legs and knees were shot by the 3 days of hiking.

A must see destination but avoid the crowds of tourists. Our guide was excellent in telling us where to take pictures. My group and I were just annoyed because Japanese tourists pushed us to get onto the bus (without saying a word just pushing people) and we said something to them. Which their tour guide started yelling as us so we yelled back at them telling them any polite person would say excuse me. Other than that, it was an amazing experience.

Visited May 2013