“Uncover Latin America - Inca Trail Trek and other Peru attractions”
Review of Machu Picchu

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Phoenix, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Uncover Latin America - Inca Trail Trek and other Peru attractions”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My friend and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Peru, which involved a tour of Lake Titicaca, an overnight homestay on Amantani Island, tours of the Sacred Valley, Puno, Cusco and Lima ending with a 4 day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. All was handled by Chris at Uncover Latin America. We were most impressed with the superb organization of the trip. There was a message at our hotel each evening about the next day's itinerary and what time we would be picked up. We were met before each excursion (even if it was just a transfer to the airport) by a driver and guide. Uncover booked flights for us inside Peru and the guide escorted us through check-in and to the security entrance at each airport to ensure we were exactly where we needed to be. Nothing was left to chance. We were in contact with Chris often throughout our trip and he answered every request quickly and professionally. He even took us to lunch in Lima before our flight back home. As two women traveling alone, we felt extremely safe and well cared for the entire time. Uncover also provides travel services in Argentina and Brazil and I plan to use them for our first trip to Argentina next year.

Machu Picchu is truly an experience and was the highlight of the trip. While the weather on the trek was rainy, we still felt a great sense of accomplishment at completing the trail. The porters were heroic and we loved our guide "Jimmy". It was much harder physically than we expected but worth every step! The best months to go are apparently April and May, as the dry season has started but the weather isn't too cold. We were unable to see MP from the Sun Gate as it was clouded over, so next time would go a little later in hopes of getting a clear day to see that magnificent site.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Carmichael, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“It is worth the time and the money to get here!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I loved Machu Picchu....it is just like the all the photos that I have been admiring for years and years. It was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be....pleasantly surprised.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Popogranny
Svelvik, Norway
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Yes!!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A nice experience of a lifetime. To see what people could to do 500 years ago. WoW!! I had my own guide for three hours, walking around. Magnificent!

Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Do not pass up on this trip!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I am 45 years old and I have waited for a while to take this trip. I had to time this trip just right. I needed my children to be self sufficient and old enough to appreciate MP, but I didn't want to be so old that I would struggle. I did very good! My children loved it and I was able to keep up with them, this is a very challenging trip! Not for the weak. Lol. We backpacked and The altitude on some mountains throughout Peru was quite challenging and breathtaking! If you are able to, take this trip when you are young.

We arrived at the top by bus at 0900ish, the day started out perfect, very sunny, not too cold. The buses of tourist just pour in one after the other. We went in passed the entrance and immediately the view just leaves you breathless. I'm terrified of heights but here, I was able to forget about my fears, I was taken away by the beauty of it all.

Take some ponchos!! We spent about 3 hours there before it quickly became overcast, and right before our eyes, there was an eerie dark mist that moved in, the llamas almost seemed to sense it and immediately ran for shelter ( not too much of it up there), it poured for about 45 min, we had ponchos which helped somewhat but we did get wet anyway. We waited a bit, in the meantime, the crowds disappeared, most people headed back down to the town. Lines for busses were long, travelers were anxious to get on busses and became very frustrated, small riots, fights broke out because people were cutting in or forming other lines. After a while it stopped raining and we were able to go sightseeing again without the crowds. We spent about 8 hrs there and covered pretty much everything!

The restaurant there was full and we were not able to get in without an advanced reservation. We ate sandwiches from the small concession stand near the entrance, I thought it was a bit pricey but the food was a lot better quality than our USA fast food. For 4 sandwiches, 2 juices, 2 hot chocolates, we spent a bit over $50 usd.

Random misc. notes:

i didn't climb huayna picchu, so I can't comment
Restrooms - only ones I remember are by entrance, below concession stand, long lines for ladies.
Don't remember seeing any kids there at all.
Wear comfortable appropriate shoes - don't wear flip flops too slippery
Bring ponchos
Not too many places to sit, u sit mostly on floor, rocks.
No shelter from elements.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank SandieG
Michigan
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Beyond words!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

No words can adequately and fairly describe Machu Picchu. The place is breathtaking beyond words. An engineering marvel. We were there for 2 days and still couldn't get enough of it. One has to take time to just silently admire the surrounding; possibly ponder why it was abandoned by the Incas. You have to have good ambulatory skills to manage the steps & winding paths although we saw a few climbing some steps with canes. A must in everybody's bucket list.

Visited October 2012