“Machu Picchu and Outstanding Travel Agency”

Santuario Historico de Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu Day Trip from Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed January 26, 2013

1. We had a group of 4 guys with just a few days in Cusco to see as much as possible. I quickly realized it would be better and just as cheap for the 4 of us to hire a driver/guide instead of trying to take local buses to visit Machu Picchu. Based on good reviews and an informative website, I contacted South Adventure Peru Tours. The owner, Ruben, was outstanding in all aspects of planning and I realized he could handle all the logistics and accommodations cheaper than I could do myself. Instead of spending a day travelling from Cusco to Aguas Calientes, we were able to spend the day visiting the Sacred Valley with our guide and at the end of the day catch the train to Aguas Calientes so we’d be ready to visit Machu Picchu the next morning. Our guide, Victor, spoke excellent English and was very knowledgeable about all the sites which enhanced our enjoyment. He even climbed Huyna Picchu with us, which was an added bonus in addition to given us a walking tour with history of the site. I can’t say enough great things about Victor and the owner, Ruben, as they run a first class operation and if I go back to hike the Inca Trail someday I will use South Adventures again. I even recommended a co-worker to them in late December. We did the normal touristy things around Cusco but having a guide made the difference. If you have 3 or 4 people it’s an easy decision to use them; our experience could not have been better and we thank them and all their staff for an awesome trip to Cusco.

3  Thank Malibu_Man1901

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Wonderful Thanksgiving Trip, The small children did great. Watch the Little Eisteins DVD on Peru so they get a travel video in advance. The Orient Express train to get there was great. We had a wonderful light lunch snack in the hotel to warm up as it was raining and delightful wait till the train time to return. Very exciting and great experience for the kids to see the architecture from so long ago. Further, to learn about the Explorers coming and the effect of that on local people. One of the children's nanny was origianlly from Peru so it meant alot to kids to see her birth country.

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I've seen Chichen Itzá and Tulúm (Zuma) in Mexico, wonders of the old world. But Machu Picchu is the top of my list as far as wonders are concerned. Why? Because you are still allowed to walk amongst the ruins and into the temples, touch the stones and really explore.

Machu Picchu is huge: you need hours here, and that is why you feel like you are exploring! Machu Picchu does not have the carvings and etchings that other ruins still do, but the fact you can wander through an ancient city is a humbling and magical experience that I will never forget.

The bus operators are awesome by the way, prompt, clean, efficient and it's a great 30 minute journey up and down to the site.

1  Thank AngeleneFay
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Cusco, I walked around its beautiful surroundings and Inca ruins following for an impressive journey to Sacred Valley of Urubamba and archaeological site of Ollantaytambo. Then I enjoyed a train ride to the enigmatic citadel of Machu Picchu with its magic energy center, indeed a wonder of the world. My journey continued to a beautiful capital, Lima, where I enjoyed its historical center with beautiful colonial churches and mansions. I took a ride thru suburbs and enjoyed spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean.

It was an awesome experiience for myself and I recomend enyone to visit this magnificent place.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Possibly the greatest concentration of tourist traps and groco shops on earth. Some restaurants are actual pretty good but very pricey, probably due to transportation costs. Hotels are more reasonable.