“A long walk for average ruins”
Review of Moon Temple

and up
Mystical Horseback Riding Tour from Cusco
Ranked #13 of 50 things to do in Machu Picchu
Reviewed November 15, 2012

It took about 40mins to walk to from Huayna Picchu and a difficult 1.5hours to climb back up. I am glad I did the full loop as not many do, but the ruins themselves are not spectacular.

4  Thank TravellingBurgs
All reviews
"gran caverna"
in 4 reviews
"huayna picchu mountain"
in 2 reviews
"we visited machu picchu"
"walk up"
"descent"
"sun"
"incas"

Reviewed September 12, 2012

When we reached the top of Huayna picchu we saw a sign that said 45 min walk. It was more like 2 hours. Straight down and then straight back up. There were a couple of times I did not think I would make it. It was not worth the extra climbing to me.

3  Thank KLHUsa
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We made a side-trip to visit the Temple of the Moon after descending from Huayna Picchu. The path branches off as you near the exit/entry-way from Machu Picchu. Told by a hiker who had just finished visiting that “the Temple is just a few minutes away,” we were somewhat surprised to find that the hike took almost an hour and was quite difficult, both arriving and departing. The Temple of the Moon itself seemed rather ordinary, with none of the impressive stone work or terraces found elsewhere at Machu Picchu. There was an underground cave protected by a huge rock overhang and a fairly impressive double-jamb doorway but aside from that the structures failed to impress and the amount of time and energy expended to get here was barely worth the effort in my opinion. To be fair, some of this sentiment may be due to the fact that we had been hiking for five days straight and saw dozens of more impressive ruins along the way. If you’ve run out of challenges while visiting Machu Picchu by all means give it a try but for most I would consider it an optional visit.

(As an aside I found it somewhat amusing that even the moniker "Moon" is somewhat dubious as there is no indication that any lunar ritual was performed here in ancient times. In the words of my guidebook: “It is likely someone simply called it Temple of the Moon as a counterpart to the Temple of the Sun, and the name stuck.”)

5  Thank midway42
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I went there after I had climbed Wayna Picchu. It's a 40 minutes trip down in a poor staircase and about 1,5 hours to climb up again. When I was down there, in the temple, the aspect was not good and stunk a lot.

2  Thank douglasnespoli
See more reviews
Reviewed May 23, 2012

You have to buy a ticket to the Huayna Picchu to visit. The entry is either 7-8am or 10-11am for a total of 400 people pr day.
Most people would do the loop to visit the mountain top and the Temple of the Moon. If you want to visit just the Temple you need 3 hours round trip using the same trail. The temple with overgrown plants and the giant cave close by does give you a feel of adventure. I don't believe anybody would just go there without going up to the top of the mountaiin. The view on top of the mountain is also spectacular .It takes zabout 4 to 5 hours doing both. Then it will give you 3 hours to see the citadel if you only have a full day at Macchu Picchu.
If you are short of time, Inca bridge (1 hour round trip) and Sun gate (2 hours Roundtrip) are the alternate and both of them are included in your entry fee.
I highly recommended climbing the Huaynapicchu or the Montana Machupicchu at the other side of the citadel if you have time.

4  Thank dennisk32