“good & bad ....”

and up
Private Guided Tour in Machu Picchu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Huayna Picchu is located towards the north of the Inca city of Machu Picchu. To climb the mountain of Huayna Picchu, should reach the checkpoint and entrance to Huayna Picchu and the road begins a few meters from the Sacred Rock is followed, it is an area with very dense vegetation, this road is very steep and quite and includes sections of narrow stairs and steps made of granite stone placed irregularly, there are some that appear carved into the rock. The promotion lasts between 45-60 minutes depending on the physical state of the person.
Falls Church, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“good & bad ....”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had reservations when we decided to go ahead and buy the permit to do this. As with the Inca Trail, the Peruvian authorities limit the number of people they allow to climb Huayna Picchu per day and so permits / tickets must be booked in advanced. Huayna Picchu means "brother mountain" or something similar. It's directly next to MP and is accessed via the MP site itself. You therefore climb it as part of your visit to MP. It was highly recommended to us by a friend who did HP BUT came by train and did NOT do the Inca Trail 4d/3n as we did. So the main reason you want to climb HP is to get the panoramic view of MP from a very good vantage point. But frankly by the time we got to MP on the 4th day, we really wished we had not bought the permit to HP and half hoped we could sell it to someone else. Not possible btw. Also, with the fairly limited time we had to explore MP, doing HP took away precious time from MP. We only started our tour of MP at around 8:30am and then we had tickets to HP for the 10am slot -- meaning we had to enter between 10 - 11am. It takes approximately 45mins - 1hr to climb HP depending on your fitness and energy level. The permit costs $65 per person (at the time of Oct. '13). The climb and descend is quite hair raising as a lot of it was very narrow and very steep. Much narrower and steeper than any part of the Inca trail. I think if I had gone to MP by train, HP would not have been a bad idea. But given the fact that we were already so exhausted, and we were on a tight schedule to go down to Aguas Calientes to catch the train back to Cuzco, I would have preferred to have more time to spend on MP itself. I guess I will have to go back to visit MP at some point ....

3 Thank TCKinFC

• Turkish first
Medicine Hat, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“After hiking Inka Trail, this is a piece of cake”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

After the 4 day Inka Trail, I looked at Huayna Picchu and sais to a couple fellow hikers, I just didn't have the strength to keep going. But I looked at my ticket and it was for the next day so with relief, I decided to do a fifth day of hiking. It is an easy hike for pretty much anyone who completed the Inka Trail. For others, it might be a bit difficult. It isn't a long hike though. It is stair steps up and down and is pretty steep. If you are afraid of heights, breather deeply and take it slow. There are a couple tight squeezes to get to the top, but they don't take long to get through. The view of Machu Picchu is a treat befaur you can see it in its entirety. If you hiked the Inka trail, the view is at least as great as what you have seen along the trail. The beginning of the trail down is very steep and left me with sweaty palms and a bit of an adrenalin rush.

1 Thank Karen G
Sioux City, Iowa
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Get Your Tickets Early If You Want The Experience!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I loved the hike up Wayna Picchu. It took us about 2 hours round trip. It is quite a difficult climb, but if your fitness is average to good you will be fine.There was one guy who needed a cane and he was able to make it all the way up to the top. We came across a mom (early 40s maybe) and daughter (high school age) and they were miserable. They said they don't do much hiking. Most people loved the hike like I did.

There are some very steep stairs and parts where you need to use the rope. I love stuff like that! My husband is not a fan of heights. He was pretty nervous as the path is not extremely wide--he made sure to pass people coming down on the side to the cliff as opposed to the side over the edge. He was glad he did it thought he was nervous! My husband got to the temple at the top and decided that was his limit for heights. I continued to the top climbing the narrow stairs up the temple and ending at the rocks on top of the peak. What a view and sense of accomplishment! Towards the top you walk through a small cave like structure to a wooden latter and end up on top of huge rocks on the peak. It is a bit crowded on the rocks but not terrible.

You need to get your tickets well in advance. We met some people on our Galapagos cruise who were also going to the Machu PIcchu and they wanted to climb Wayna Picchu but couldn't get tickets. We told them we got ours about 9 months in advance and they said they wished they had done that. They limit the amount of people who can go up a day (for safety understandably). I don't get the people who are mad about this--you can't have a thousand people going up this mountain a day it would be dangerous. If you have ever been anywhere popular on a trip you should know to get tickets ahead of time. The days of spontaneity during travels are pretty much over you have to book things ahead of time unless you are going to spend months in one confined place and have all the time in the world. Machu Picchu is a popular destination so get organized and get your tickets if you want the opportunity to climb Wayna Picchu!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Angela_Houser
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Words cant.describe”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Took me about a hour and a half to reach the top and we were laterally the last ones to go up (. Numbrrs 399 and 400 ) with the lack of air and the incredible steepness its important to take your time going up . But dont take me wrong at first i thought there was big chances of falling , but i saw kids walking down probably 13/14 years old like me at the time . IT IS NOT CERTAIN DEATH , its certain enjoyment and reaching the very peak rock and looking down at everything ( being king of the rock ) its breath taking ! Also one of my favorite parts was just being able to yell while walking down and hearing my echo yell back at me several times .. To sum it up its a must go and see thing (bucket list worthy) and a experience of a life time .

Visited August 2013
1 Thank worldlovearie
Pleasanton, CA (Bay Area)
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Quite the chore, but worth the work”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Huayna Picchu hike is quite strenuous, but if you are in decent shape, it is well worth it.

The hike itself requires a ticket. You need to book this ahead of time and in addition to the main Machu Picchu admission. There are two start times: 7a and 10a. It is hit or miss which is better. If you are there on a sunny day, the 7a gives you a chance to see everything bathed in morning light. If you are on a cloudy day, the 10a gives the clouds some time to break. We ended up with the later time and the clouds broke.

The hike itself is quite strenuous. It is about 1:45 round trip for someone in reasonable but not athlete shape. It is half upstairs, so be prepared. You should not plan anything strenuous the day before or the day after. We did rafting the next day, and it was quite hard.

The views are gorgeous, but they come with a cost. The hike takes you up some pretty steep climbs. If you are afraid of heights, you should be a little bit careful. Getting down can be a pain. If you are ok with heights, it is so worth it.

Make sure you bring a poncho, but the hike is strenuous enough that you might not be able to wear it (makes you hot). So also bring a hat. You will want one person to bring a day pack with some water.

The best views are on the front side of the mountain, facing Machu Picchu. These are viewable after you get to the top and around the main top area. Don't worry too much about sitting on top. Get to the front side and spend your time resting there. There is more space, less wind, and fewer people.

If you have knee problems, you should bring your knee brace as the trip down can be a bit tough on the legs.

Overall, this was a big hit for us. We loved the experience. It is hard, but it is absolutely rewarding.

1 Thank BurgerMonster