“Not as scary as I thought”
Review of Huayna Picchu

$420.00*
Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Day Tour from Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Huayna Picchu is located towards the north of the Inca city of Machu Picchu. To climb the mountain of Huayna Picchu, should reach the checkpoint and entrance to Huayna Picchu and the road begins a few meters from the Sacred Rock is followed, it is an area with very dense vegetation, this road is very steep and quite and includes sections of narrow stairs and steps made of granite stone placed irregularly, there are some that appear carved into the rock. The promotion lasts between 45-60 minutes depending on the physical state of the person.
Wesley Chapel, Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Not as scary as I thought”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We bought tickets for the hike before our arrival in Peru. After reading all I could about the climb I will admit I really didn't think it was something I could do. I am afraid of heights, middle aged and of average health. It is a definite climb up a lot of stairs, some on narrow paths. There are wire rails to hold on to in most of the tighter areas. There was no problem with people passing on the path. There are places with room for people to get around each other. As far as the climb up,what worked for my husband and I was to just take a break or a photo opportunity when we needed a break. slow a d steady. We took our time and wore good hiking shoes,which i think would be really helpful especially if it is damp, we made it to the top. The views were amazing and worth the effort. I was a little more worried about the climb down and this went fine too. Just take your time. There were a good number of people much older than me making this climb.

2 Thank Kim W

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fantastic view”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

myself and my partner hiked up Huayna Picchu after completing the 4 day inca trail hike to Machu Picchu. This seemed quite easy after hiking the inca trail, and is definitely worth it for the views from the top.

3 Thank amy_five
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Tough Hike but WORTH IT!!!!!!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is in addition to the Machu Picchu ruins entrance.

1) Book your entrance ticket weeks or months in advance as only 200 visitors are allowed from 7-8, then another 200 from 10-11am.
2) WRITE down your reservation # if you don't have a printer. And make sure your VISA credit card goes through after purchase (pagado!).

3) Sunscreen. Bug spray. Water, Water, Water. Bag pack for once you want to peel off clothing layers (which you will).

4) The hike up isn't easy but also not hard. Take your time, take breaks if need be. The allocated time is more than enough. The shortness of breath was my only issue if any, not soreness.

5) I wore sneakers not hiking shoes and was just fine.

6) Take time up top to take it all in, not just pictures.

7) The hike down is easy but steep and can be dangerous if not careful. So take your time down.

8) I saw people of all ages do it. So you can as well.

ENJOY!!!!!!

4 Thank Worldbefree1
New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Scariest moment of my life....but worth it!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

As someone who is a bit afraid of heights (and by a bit I mean very), I was hesitant to do this hike. I heard so many people rave about the view, I knew I would regret it if I missed it. The first half was a breeze and I thought, oh what a piece of cake! But as you get closer to the top, it becomes very steep. You are literally climbing up stone steps that seem to be at a 90 degree angle, with only a small rope to hold onto. Don't look down, just keep going! There are platforms along the way where you can rest, pull yourself together, before continuing the climb.

The last 20 minutes were the worst for me, I felt I needed a harness to be strapped in so I wouldn't fall and roll down the side of the cliff. There are no bars, no signs that say "watch your step", just a rope that runs along the side. I thought to myself, what happens if I die up here, or get lost. But they have everyone sign in at the bottom, probably for that reason. I wonder how many people would make it out today (I'm sure everyone did ).

There is one last platform at the top, then if you want, you can climb onto the boulders that bring you up even higher. "Lets go" my friend said. Sure why not, my nerves were shot, I sweat through all my clothes and I'm out of water, might as well go to the tippy top.

Once I found my seat in-between two boulders holding on with a death grip.....I took in the incredible view. It was completely spectacular, unlike anything I've experienced before. When you look at MP down below, you realize how high up you are. You can see across the entire mountain range, it really was such an incredible sight. Even though I was panic stricken, I will never forget sitting up there and looking out. What a sense of accomplishment!

The way back down there are two routes. I asked someone sitting next to me, which way down is less scary, he said go to the left, down the back of the mountain. He was right, it was less scary/steep, but it took us twice as long to get back to MP. Still a beautiful hike and we had the time so it was nice to take it slow on the way back.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank MjM1129
Tucson, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Mountain”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

It is a bit of a hike to get all the way to the top, but once you are on the top of the mountain it's well worth it. Take snacks and plenty of water. Take lots of pictures the views are incredible.

Visited July 2013