“Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu”

Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Machu Picchu
San Francisco, California
“Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

OMG! This place is great. Our room was fifteen steps from being outside in Machu Picchu. How awesome is that? We stayed at Sanctuary Lodge on Machu Picchu for 3 days and 2 nights in July 2014. The lodge is small, because there just isn't a lot of space to put something like this on the grounds of something as wonderful as Machu Picchu, but they have done a great job of making the very best of it. The place is very clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful and very beautiful people to be with. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner here and the food is excellent. After a long day of hiking and exploring Machu Picchu, to come back "home" to this place and have a great meal is just perfect. We were able to get up early in the morning and walk out into Machu Picchu in literally just a couple of minutes and view the sunrise which is breathtaking. If you can plan a night or two here on your visit to Machu Picchu, do it. You will be rewarded with a wonderful experience to highlight your vacation.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have patios with deck and lounge chairs you can sit in to see the sky at night or...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SFKenA
oeperu, Gerente at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate for choosing our Lodge as a destination to organize your visit of Machu Picchu Citadel.

I am deeply pleased to know that you could appreciate our location and facilities; our hotel offers the privilege to overnight on a platform of the Citadel who has been allowed to fully enjoy your visit to the magical citadel while you giving us the opportunity to take care to provide you an unpredictable experience.

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for your comments, to given us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.

Marc Yeterian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Location, location, location.

As the only hotel AT Machu Picchu, you cannot beat it. Literally - it has no competition.

We arrived via the Hiram Bingham train from Cusco, and had our luggage handled for us as we boarded the bus, and took the switchback drive up to the lodge.

The hotel is smaller, not quite as posh as some other venues, but they do a lot with what they have. We did not have a view from our room, but really who's going to be spending much time there? We were comfortable, had a hot shower, beds were nice, and the food and high tea were tremendous!

I had read that staying at the Sanctuary Lodge enabled us to have the ruins virtually to ourselves at sunrise, if we so chose, so I was quite excited by the prospect. I learned from the staff that the gates opened at 6, sunrise would be around 7, so... I figured if I was out the door by 6:15 I'd be in great shape.

Nope.

Tour buses come up bright and early, too. The line from the gate was several hundred feet long by the time I stepped outside, passing the front door of the lodge. It took about 25 minutes just to gain access to the park, but since I'd been there a day earlier, I'd already decided where I wanted to view the sunrise, so I sprinted to the top. And...the sun was obscured by clouds. But still, what a wonderful adventure, and I felt incredibly pampered by the staff at the hotel. They took care of everything.

We explored the property a bit, and located their gardens. If you have some time to relax, I recommend you do so, too. They're not huge, but quite lovely and have a water feature and a few chaise lounges - terrific way to unwind after a hike to the Sun Gate.

During our final high tea before we left, they even had some TVs playing the football games, which drew a large crowd, obviously.

Room Tip: No idea. Mine was quiet enough that I slept well. Not a great view, but who cares?
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to extend our most sincere gratitude for your encouraging words. It is very satisfying to know my staff was able to provide the service you deserve.

We are very glad to know that you had an exceptional stay in Belmond Sanctuary Lodge and hope we can host you again to improve our service.

Warm regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 16, 2014

WOW! I dont even know where to start. For starters, it took me 1 month to consider spending a premium on the hotel and I am glad that I did. The service is impeccable.

When we arrived at Machu Picchu station, there was a personnel to meet us at the exit of the train station. He took our luggage for us and we had to buy our own bus tickets to head up to Machu Picchu. On our way up to Machu Picchu, I realised that I left my Montana machu picchu tickets in my luggage and I needed the tickets urgently as we had a cut off time of 11am to climb the mountain and it was already 1050am. I got into the hotel, and told them about my problem. They said that my luggage will only arrive in 1130am and I couldnt wait that long. So they took our passports, keyed in our names into the system and somehow they manage to extract our bookings and reprinted our tickets and brought us to the main gate and got entry into the mountain and we continued our excursion there. The service was incredible!!

2nd of all, the hotel is barely 30-40m away from the main entrance gate and it was extremely convenient. We climbed up the montana machu picchu at 11am, by the time we finished the climb it was 2pm, then we did a 3.5 hour excursion of Machu picchu with a guide and by the time we ended, it was 530pm, and our entire bodies and legs were aching. We went back to the hotel, got our keys to the rooms and just showered and rested there. It was superbly convenient. The rooms arent big, but it was sufficient and very comfortable. After our dinner, we took a short walk around the area, where there was no one, no crowds, just guests of the hotel walking and it was very peaceful and surreal.

Next morning, we got up at 5am, dressed up and went to the gate to watch the sunrise, we were the first inline and we just waited. Then we climbed sungate to see the sunrise, went back to our rooms to have breakfast by 8am, then we went back in again just to sit on the lawn and admire the beauty of Machu Picchu. Then we checked out at 12pm, took the bus down and went back to Cusco.

In case you are wondering, all meals and basic alcohol are provided part of the package. You dont have to spend a single cent more when you are here. We had meals, room service, beers and basic cocktails all for free. PRemium alcohol comes with a fee. Breakfast selection was great, food was brilliant. You gotta try their risotto, it was so tasty.

Overall this place is worth the price. The convenience, the service rendered and being able to walk around Machu Picchu (out of the gates) and not have the crowds around was truly a wonderful experience. I would definitley do it again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank volvoc70m
Dear Guest,

First of all, let me thank you for your time and we appreciate your invaluable comments.

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you enjoyed a fantastic stay in Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.

Thank you for your sincere feedback, I hope we have the honor to welcome you in the near future.

Warm regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Although it is quite expensive, it is worth it. They pick up your luggage at the train station which makes it easy to take the bus. The meals are incredible. If you are planning on watching the sunrise at Machu Picchu they have breakfast open at 5:30 a.m. It was nice to be around when all the crowds had disappeared.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank kwr05
Dear Guest,

First of all, let me thank you for your time and we appreciate your comment.

Thank you very much for your kindness and invaluable comments; I hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Kindly regards,

Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The Sanctuary Lodge really is the perfect way to see Machu Picchu. We were able to go over to the ruins for both sunset and sunrise. Amazing. Here's my thought about whether to have a view of the ruins or not. It's about a hundred dollars extra for the ruins' view room. But here's the news. You can't see the ruins from the hotel. There are a couple of Inca terraces behind the hotel. Maybe that's what they were calling ruins. We had requested a ruins' view and didn't get it. What we got was an amazing view of the mountains. So pick the less expensive room. It will be wonderful.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alexander c
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments in Trip Advisor and helping us in improving our services with your comments.

I sincerely regret to know that the suite that you booked was not your expectations, considering that we offer different type of rooms with a beautiful view to the mountains and surrounding; the commitment of Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is to give the best to our guests and your overall impressions about your stay are very important to us.

Thank you very much for your invaluable comments.

San Francisco, Ca
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I booked grudgingly because I don't usually stay in this class of hotel. But I wanted to ;stay close to the entrance of Maccu Pi;cchu and this;; is the only place.
I was totally surprised at the; superb experience. Everything from the physical presentation of; the property to the high quality service of everyone I encountered plus some of the. Best food I've had in Peru makes me give high praise to the manager.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cordially,

Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2014

If you don't want to travel by bus over a winding road from the train station up to the entrance to Machu Picchu, you must stay here. Particularly if you want to enter and exit the Park more than once a day! (Which is really necessary, if you'd like to eat something and use a restroom!)

The hotel has a lovely second floor garden with fountains and many orchids, and good views of Machu Picchu, to entertain when not in the park. The food is excellent, and the service is excellent as well.

The rooms were comfortable, and some of them had outlets to the gardens -- in some ways this was nice, as you could come and go without tracking dew into your room, but in other ways it was a bit troublesome as anyone walking in the gardens was also walking past your room!

Their lunch buffet was extensive and their sit-down menus offered multiple options as well, even for those with food allergy etc.

A pricey place, it is worth it in my opinion, for its very special location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank OaklandVisit2r
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate the time you took for leaving your positive comments on the Trip Advisor.

I am glad to know that you could enjoy our privileged location in front of the citadel, allowing you to enjoy as much as possible.

We sincerely appreciate your visit and moreover thank you for considering us to visit Machu Picchu while you giving us the opportunity to take care to provide you an unpredictable experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Machu Picchu
#3 of 24 in Aguas Calientes
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
#4 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Belmond Sanctuary Lodge? Share your experiences!