When we stepped off the train from Cusco to Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu, we were treated like VIP’s. Our bags were taken to a holding spot specific for Lodge guests, and then we were escorted to a private air conditioned lounge, where we were offered complimentary drinks. We needed to get up to Machu Picchu, so we had to purchase the bus tickets to take us to the Sanctuary Lodge. The entrance to the ruins is only steps from the front door of the Lodge, (no waiting in line for buses to take you up/down to the closest town of Aguas Calientes, where most of other people stay). We stayed three day, two nights. The 1st room we were given was very small, but very clean, and the view outside the small window was nonexistent. The rooms have complimentary slippers for its guests with the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge logo sewn on it, (I love mine) ; but if you want the shampoo and conditioner cute clay containers as souvenirs, you will have to pay for those. The next day, we were upgraded to a larger much nicer room, by the terrace, with stunning views of the mountains. Not sure if it was because we were staying two nights, (most people we saw there, were only staying one night), or if it was because I was extremely sick when we arrived from Cusco. (Drinking mate with peppermint tea and taking a few Cipro pills made me better by next day). The staff is very nice, the food was very good, (they fly in their steak from US because it’s tenderer), and of course you can eat and drink all you want since it is all inclusive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Sanctuary Lodge enjoys a unique location just steps from the entrance to Machu Picchu; it is the only hotel beside the Inca citadel. This charming mountain retreat, set in orchid gardens, is the perfect place to relax, from early in the morning to magical moonlit nights. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Belmond, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Belmond Sanctuary Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge By Orient-Express Hotel Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Hotel
- Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu