“Machu Picchu”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Machu Picchu
Las Vegas
“Machu Picchu”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The only hotel on the mountain just outside the entrance to the incredible Machu Picchu ruins. The lodge is worth the money and the rooms are nice as well. The value comes in staying at the lodge and being able to be the first ones to enter the ruins and the last to leave. You can come back to the hotel to eat, nap and have food and reenter as often as you like.

The morning breakfast was buffet and suite to order. The early evening dinner for live entertainment was excellent and then following that up with a nice time in the hot tub to relax the muscles after a full day of hiking

Just the best!

Room Tip: Don't stay in town and waster the half hour ride up and back when you can stay at the mountain e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greatplacesnv
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us and the lovely description you have made of the hotel.

Marc Yeterian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia

May 30/31 2013
We paid a premium price of approx. US$1,100 per night. After reading several reviews after our stay, it would appear that the first disappoinment was not being greeted at the train station and steered towards the buses. On arrival we felt part of a herd of cattle - there were at least 8 people needing attention and only 3 staff. Extremely poor skills from reception staff - we stood at the tiny reception filling out cards with people hassling to buy hats, wanting to leave luggage etc. Orient Express have a lovely dinning room and could have a member of staff focussed on new arrivals and take them to a comfortable seat with some refreshment. Something we experienced at our previos hotel in Cuzco which was $80 per night.
We were then informed by the staff that we should have purchased entry tickets for Machu Picchu before catching the bus - they had simply omitted to tell us that even though we booked our accommodation almost a year ago. They then offered to organise tickets and advised than unless we wanted to go down the mountain (half hour bus ride) ourselves to get cash from an ATM, we were obliged to pay a 10 percent credit card fee. Too hard, so we paid. Remember we booked a year ago for my husband's 60th, on arrival at the room found twin beds and not King. Also no privacy whatsoever from our terrace as overlooked by communial terrace for rooms cheaper than ours. They sorted out the bed issue with a quick fix of putting beds tgether with zip only to find we had a huge lump at the top end of the bed.
I enquired about the day spa and discovered that there are two rooms next door to each other but during most of the day luggage is stored all the way along the walls - can't imagine what kind of peaceful massage it would be with that much traffic. I was then shown to the day care centre which had been completely taken over by one family who had cases opened and clothes strewn everywhere. I was told this is where I could choose to change and have a shower before a very expensive massage - the prices are less competitive than New York - I don't think so . The lady showing me around was the masseus but I did not appreciate her attitude and when I started aking questions I felt that she feigned poor English to avoid being questioned further.
A positive perspective was our dinning experience - the food was good and although some waiters had difficulty communicating, we enjoyed the experience. We stayed 2 nights. The experience of being on the mountain after closure of the ruins was lovely.
I would only recommend the Orient Express due to location but would refrain from recommending to others. I think due to lack of competition on MP itself Orient Express obviously have a captive audience and haven't addressed many issues. We have read a lot of reviews and very few are expressing a wonderful experience. I believe senior management of Orient Express should read trip advisor regularly to understand the requirements of customers who are paying top dollar for a less than average experience.
I should mention that the hotel tried to make amends by leaving a bottle of champagne and fruit in our room but that definitely did not compensate for the disappontment

Room Tip: Here Orient Express have asked for rating on swimming pool - there is no pool!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Verena L
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for helping us to improve our services with your comments. The commitment of Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge is to give the best to our guests and your overall impressions about your stay in our property are very important to us.
Based on our regular’s guest’s comments, their experiences may be very different from yours but, however, it is crucial for us to know the reasons why we couldn’t achieve your expectations, so we can take special attention to each one.

We deeply value your comments and sincerely apologize if we didn't meet your expectations. We can guaranty you of our permanent commitment in keeping on with all the efforts and focus, reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers usually rank.

London
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Location, location, location. And you pay for it. The room was rather small and basic but clean and comfortable. Food was delicious. A positive surprise. Staff is friendly - despite this being a busy place (I believe most people only stay for one night, max two nights) around check-out time and whenever a bus arrives (which is every few minutes...). We enjoyed the pretty orchid and herb garden which has a good view overlooking Machu Picchu. Worth it to stay here to avoid the lines at 4:30am in Aquas Calientes for the bus up to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that even if this was a hut(and by no means is it that), it still would be the most amazing place I have ever stayed. As many have said before it is really all about the fact that you are literally steps from one of the most magical and mystical places in the world. Being able to experience Machu Picchu any time of the day really makes the experience special.The character of Machu Picchu changes dramatically from early morning to late afternoon. Also not having to take the bus up the mountain is a huge plus. Its not fancy but the rooms are fine, the food was excellent and a massage was included in the price. It is very expensive,no doubt, but i suppose its the price one pays for being next to the "lost city in the sky". If you're looking for the 4 Seasons or Aman resorts this is not for you...if you're looking for once in a lifetime this is it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jayraka

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Affiliation with the prestigious Orient-Express chain combined with a whopping USD925 nightly charge would suggest -- indeed, demand -- the best in accommodations and service. Sadly, neither was on display during our two-day visit to Machu Picchu. Our experience at the Sanctuary Lodge easily ranks as the most disappointing not only in our journey to Peru, but as one of the most underwhelming and downright frustrating hotel stays we've ever endured in several decades of travel to such other "remote" locations as Morocco, Guatemala, Egypt and even Uzbekistan.

First, the good stuff:

The property's location just outside the gates of the ruins is simply unbeatable. No half-hour bus ride to and from Aguas Calientes required, just a few steps out the door and through the turnstiles. We were thus able to enjoy the site both in the early morning hours, as clouds of mist wafted up from the valley and danced over the ancient city and mountains, and again at the close of day, after most of the bus-driven hordes had departed. (Do not, however, believe the advertising blurbs suggesting that a stay at the lodge enables guests to gain a head-start on others less fortunate. Both days of our stay, hundreds were already straining at the gates by 6 a.m.)

At least upon arrival by train from Ollantaytambo, the hotel also does a good job of putting its guests at ease. We were met by a friendly and gracious representative who took charge of our bags and led the way to the nearby bus station. We'd purchased a package that included transportation to and from the station, and those tickets were already in the representative's hand. When we discovered that, owing to our own oversight, we'd failed to purchase the necessary advance entrance tickets to the ruins, the desk staff at reception also arranged for those to be delivered to our rooms before we turned in.

At that point, however, all adult supervision appeared to end, and the hotel was taken over by what appeared to be raw trainees unaccustomed either to meet guest demands or perform their basic tasks with any degree of competence. A shocking level of ineptitude was on display until the very moment of our departure.

For instance:

Having made dinner reservations for that evening (all food is included in the tab, along with everything in the room minibar, alcoholic or otherwise), we arrived at the appointed time only to be escorted to a seat in the bar, where we were left unattended for twenty minutes. The restaurant being mostly empty, I eventually inquired of the bartender if perhaps there was some problem, at which point he summoned the young female maitre d', who explained that she'd simply "misunderstood." Misunderstood? Misunderstood that we wanted to eat dinner at the time we'd reserved? "I'm sorry," was the automatic response. If you stay at the Sanctuary Lodge, you must become accustomed to hearing that phrase in both Spanish and English. They say it a lot.

It gets better:

Told we should try out the jacuzzi, which boasts a drop-dead view of one of Machu Picchu's terraces from its secluded garden location, we eagerly made a reservation for the next morning. We arrived, again at the appointed time, to discover that housekeeping hadn't bothered to clean up the rather considerable detritus left by the doobie-smoking Spanish hipsters who'd submerged themselves the night before. Repeated attempts to rectify the situation proved fruitless. Again: "I'm sorry."

A sign prominently displayed on the registration desk encourages guests to "relax after a strenuous day's walk with a comforting massage." Fine. My wife booked a time. The masseuse never showed. When I walked downstairs to inquire, the two young (and I mean young) men on staff shrugged their shoulders, shuffled paper, juggled phones a la The Three Stooges, and explained that that "the lady called in sick" and that "we were just about to telephone you." Again: "We're sorry."

And so it went, up to and including check-out, when I was asked to pay for bus tickets back to Aguas Calientes that had already been included in the over USD2,000 package price. It was enough to make one forget about the fact that, in addition to its location, the hotel also had the fastest wifi service we encountered in Peru, and an above-average dining room. To his credit, the hotel manager later sent down a small but nicely woven traditional rug to the Hotel Monasterio in Cuzco (sister hotel to the lodge) after we'd registered our complaints with the staff there.

In his book "Turn Left at Machu Picchu," travel writer Mark Adams refers to the Sanctuary Lodge as "an Embassy Suites minus the parking lot and the pool." That's spot-on, though I've had better service at an Embassy Suites. Next time we'll stay in Aguas Calientes -- some of the newer hotels there make up in service what they can't promise in location -- and we'd recommend the same to travelers currently contemplating the Sanctuary Lodge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kirk E

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Having just left an Orient Express Hotel in Cuzco, we were looking forward to spending a night in another. Well with this hotel, you are paying a hefty price for the convenience of its location. Spending a couple of hours walking around Machu Picchu, and being able just to walk in, take off your boots and relax is a great benefit. The rooms however are small, and the bathrooms positively minute. The food in the restaurant was good, but the service was slow and the waiters speak very poor English. We tried to explain what a spritzer was to one waiter, and had to give up. For a once in a lifetime experience of visiting Machu Picchu, we are glad we stayed here as it gives you chance to revisit the site in the morning before the marauding hoards get there. On reflection I am glad we stayed but would not rush to recommmend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chrissybubs
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2013

San Jose, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Visiting Machu Picchu had been on my bucket list ever since I saw it in my Weekly Reader in 4th grade. When I finally booked my flight 50 years later I knew that there was only one hotel located at the top next to the park. When I looked into the pricing I was a little shocked and then when I booked the room I got the only one left which was the largest most expensive room. Double ouch! But since I had looked forward to this all my life I thought just this once I would splurge. I usually look for rooms about $150 per night. I was so happy that I had spent the extra! The staff was at the train station to help with bag. When I got there they were so accommodating. The room was very nice, nothing opulent but quite comfortable. All the food, drink, and spa services were included. But the best was not having to go up and down the switchback road. When I arrived I spent my whole afternoon exploring. Had a nice dinner and a good nights sleep, and the next morning was up bright and early and was again exploring before the busses started arriving. My room had a view over trees of the top of Huayna Picchu. In short, it was the Peruvian experience I had always dreamed of.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JamesC33020
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, June 4, 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Machu Picchu
#2 of 24 in Aguas Calientes
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
#4 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Belmond Sanctuary Lodge? Share your experiences!