“Perfect position, average hotel”

Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Machu Picchu
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Plus:
• Position of the hotel is of course a must as it is the only hotel located close to Machu Picchu (no need to take the bus from Agua Calientes)
• The orchid garden, if you have time I suggest to hang around and spot flowers and birds
• The massage therapists are very good: we enjoyed our massage after the hike to Waynapicchu

Minus:
• Very noisy (but the hotels in Agua Calientes should be even worst)
• The massage rooms (there is no spa) are located in front of the stairs and are very noisy too. I would suggest management to use the small house which is now the courtesy room (and which has a wonderful view on the orchid garden) as a spa
• The restaurant is a total disaster: first you have to wait for hours even though you are the only guest in the restaurant (and I mean from when you order till when the food comes it last at least half an hour). Second: the food is not good at all. After having mistakenly tried local food I decided to have something international: I had a ceasar salad the first day which was made with fried chicken! And the second day I asked for an hamburger: the meat was cold and the cheese has never been hot, it was solid and cold too, just out of the fridge and the bread was not an hamburger bread at all..
Despite all the negative aspect I would suggest it anyhow as there are no alternatives.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TripNatureLover
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear guest,

We deeply value your comments and apologize if we didn´t meet your expectations. We can guaranty you of our permanent commitment in keeping on with all the efforts and focus, reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers always rank.

Marc Yeterian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)

Reviewed April 4, 2013

It has taken me a while to write this review but I was thinking of how much I appreciated my stay at the Sanctuary Lodge after hiking the Inca Trail. The park assigned us the Phutamaryca camp site for our last night. This meant we would have 5 or 6 hours of hiking in the morning (compared to approx. 2 hours from Winay Wayna) before we got to the site. We decided to hike the trail so that we arrived at the Sanctuary Lodge for our third night. Best decision ever. We didn't have to push hard to accomplish the necessary distances. Nothing could be beat the awe of arriving at Macchu Picchu from the trail and seeing it come into view as we head over the hill and around the bend. My understanding is that the sun gate is misnamed and that there really isn't anything special to see about the sun rise in the morning from that position. Some think the Lodge itself is overpriced and not special but everything is so white and clean and soft that after 3 days on the trail it is wonderful to the senses. Getting up to use the restroom in the middle of the night without having to unzip the sleeping bag and find a headlamp is great. We had a garden room and being able to lay down on the lounge chair and hear the birds was relaxing. I got a 1/2 hour massage to work out the kinks in my joints and sore muscles. The massuese was brutal but it probably helped me in being able to walk around the site the next morning. Huyana Picchu is not scary so much as very crowded. It is on par with what you experience on the Inca Trail itself. All in all, to truly appreciate the glory of the Sanctuary Lodge, especially when spending $1000 a night, hike the trail first. You're money will feel well spent and it's a real treat after accomplishing a fun but demanding hike.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hockessin

Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us and the lovely description you have made of the hotel.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Sanctuary Lodge is a bit hard to rate. It is the ONLY hotel adjacent to Machu Picchu. All others are in Agua Calientes, a 30 minute winding bus ride up a mountain away from Machus Picchu. So Sanctuary Lodge can charge a very high preumium and it does. No room at the Lodge overlooks Machu Picchu, so don't book here expecting sunrise views over the site. We booked here to see Machu Picchu in the early morning. We had tix for the day we arrived and, upon check in, the hotel told us we could get tix for the next day as well at their desk. We woke up pre-sunrise the next day to see if we had a clear day. I went to the desk to get a ticket to go back into Machu Picchu and was told I'd have to go into Agua Calientes to get one. I could have been more informed, but a hotel charging these prices ought to have access to tix or they should have told us when we checked in that we'd need to buy the tix that day instead of waiting.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Lisa S
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Sanctuario Lodge in Macchu Picchu, was okay. They had an exceptionally nice lobby area with free Wifi. After about 5 hours of climbing steps and walking around the inca sights of Macchu Picchu, my husband and I checked in, only to discover that there is NO elevator, which meant that we had to carry our overnight suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. Not a pleasant entry, especially for myself who had a knee surgeries. Here is what I noticed right away. Musty smell as I entered the room, dingy, and my view was a bunch of weeds and a shack.
The Television was antique.

I detest bedspreads because I think they are filthy, and that is what I saw on the bed. Very small bathroom with a small shower stall. A sign that warned you not to throw paper in the toilet bowl, but in the trash can. The toilet did not flush and the shower water fluctuated in temperature throughout the shower, from scalding hot, to cold. Therefore, you had to move away whenever the water became too hot or too cold I called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room, as it was after 12 midnight, my patience were worn, I was tired and I was not about to wait for the repair man to come up and fix the toilet.

My second room was a little better, brighter, bigger, and cleaner. Nevertheless, the interior design was plain, but that was fine with me because functionality and cleanliness are my first priorities. No musty odor, but still, the bedspreads were on the bed. This time, my view was a stairway. The toilet worked well but the shower was the same in fluctuating temperatures. I assume it is a problem throughout the hotel because when I asked my friends the next morning, they had the same experience while showering with the temps.

To make improvement to this hotel, my suggestions are, that I would change the toilets out, fix the plumbing for the showers, make more hanging rods for towels and clothes, and have a space for personal care items because there was no counter space, just a stand alone sink. The drop from the bathroom floor to floor level what pretty steep, so coming out from the bathroom was was potentially dangerous if you were not aware. I would also include a better choice of soap, shampoo, and cream rinse. Also, I would like to suggest to have a bellman provide the service of taking up your suitcases up the stairs.The weeds on the side of the hotel is unsightly and needs to be cleaned out.

The sheets were clean, the beds were comfortable, and my sleep was finally a good one.The next day, the breakfast was very good. The staff was very pleasant, but they do need some improvements.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel for location to Macchu Picchu. If you are planning to stay here, just be ment...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Screenmeem
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for helping us to improve our services with your comments.

Based on our regular’s guest’s comments, their experiences may be very different from yours but, however, it is good to know the reasons why we couldn’t achieve your expectations, so we can take special attention to each one.

Hotels located in in the town of Aguascalientes, none of them offer the privilege to overnight nestle in the flank of Machu Picchu Citadel. Also, in the case you overnight in town, the for concerning prices none, our hotel is an all-inclusive and offer the privilege to overnight on a platform of the Citadel when our guests do not suffer any noise disturbance from evening to morning as they overnight “alone” in this Sanctuary. Also, in the case you overnight in town, you may suffer from the noise a town generate until late at night, also the time consumed by the bus trip means that between the line to purchase your bus ticket, the queue to get to the bus, the half an hour trip to get from the town to the Citadel, all round trip take away an average of two hours on your visit of Machu Picchu Citadel. Also, staying in our property offers to our guests the freedom to enter and exit the Citadel as many times as they wish during the day in order to lunch, refresh or rest for a while before to continue the discovery of Machu Picchu.

We can guaranty you of our permanent commitment in keeping on with all the efforts and focus, reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers use to rank.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Critics of this property are right to moan at the price and the budget hotel size and feel of the rooms. The bathrooms are nothing special and tiny to boot. But here's why I would do it again.
1. Location. The hotel is minutes away from the entrace to Macchu Picchu. There is no other way to visit MP five times in two days.
2. Service. To get to MP, you take a train and then a bus ride up the mountain. It is tricky to navigate the move between the train and coach. Hotel employees not only wait in line for you for the coach down the mountain, but they also meet you in Agua Calientes, carry your bags, and take you to a waiting room for Orient Express customers. When your train pulls in, they tell you where and when to get on it. The hot tub at the hotel is worth it, but we could not see the ruins because it was raining.
3. Food. Yes it is expensive. We spent around 1200 a night for two rooms. But they provide three meals, and the food is very good. I had a trout that was beautifully prepared. Everyone enjoyed the meals.

All in all, I would stay here again if I return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank travelsonitsstomach
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Lodge is the only hotel actually at the site of Macchu Picchu so it is possible that the staff would let service slip since it's the only game in town. However, not only is the Lodge perfectly located and nicely appointed, the service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and accomodating; the rooms were nice with good views; the food was wonderful and they have an on-site spa. There is also a "day room" for guests who have checked out but need to check internet or shower etc before their departure. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank annaperon

Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I finally made it to South America to cross off 2 items on my bucket list. I went to the Iguasu falls Argentina/Brazil and Machu Picchu. I knew that the hotel was not the usual 5 star quality but I wanted it for the view. It was a foggy, rainy experience! I was sick from the altitude and caught a cold/cough...but I was determined to enjoy the experience and MP. I enjoyed getting into the park although my guide would not take me at 6am we went about 8:30 because of the weather. It was beautiful and I enjoyed walking through carefully and taking many photos. We were happy with the hotel service and the food. The soups, breads, dessert, entries and everything overall was tasty. Our meals were included, I would have eaten more but I was being careful not to get to stuffed! The one thing that did disturb me was the total lack of hot water in our shower. It was lukewarm. All the snacks in the mini bar were included and chips, cookies were somewhat stale. Juices and water were good. Service at the hotel dining room very good. I would like to come back and check it out when I am feeling better and really enjoy a massage and another walk in the park.

Room Tip: The location in the park is the best value, and having the nice waiting area for the train is great...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Popogranny
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which will aid us in constant improvement and upkeeping of our level of service.

We remain at your service.