• Position of the hotel is of course a must as it is the only hotel located close to Machu Picchu (no need to take the bus from Agua Calientes)
• The orchid garden, if you have time I suggest to hang around and spot flowers and birds
• The massage therapists are very good: we enjoyed our massage after the hike to Waynapicchu
• Very noisy (but the hotels in Agua Calientes should be even worst)
• The massage rooms (there is no spa) are located in front of the stairs and are very noisy too. I would suggest management to use the small house which is now the courtesy room (and which has a wonderful view on the orchid garden) as a spa
• The restaurant is a total disaster: first you have to wait for hours even though you are the only guest in the restaurant (and I mean from when you order till when the food comes it last at least half an hour). Second: the food is not good at all. After having mistakenly tried local food I decided to have something international: I had a ceasar salad the first day which was made with fried chicken! And the second day I asked for an hamburger: the meat was cold and the cheese has never been hot, it was solid and cold too, just out of the fridge and the bread was not an hamburger bread at all..
Despite all the negative aspect I would suggest it anyhow as there are no alternatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No picture of Machu Picchu can prepare you for seeing it with your own eyes. Perched high in the Andes, it is one of few places in the world that can be described as truly unmissable. It’s on everyone’s travel wish list, attracting a million visitors each year. But there’s only one way to see it in style: by staying at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge. When we say we’re one of a kind, we mean it. Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is the only hotel that sits at the entrance of the ancient Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. For years we have been the unofficial gateway to the Inca world, inviting our guests to explore with unrivalled access and expert guidance. While most visitors to the citadel endure a winding bus ride from Aguas Calientes, our snug retreat is a few footsteps away. Wake before sunrise and be the first through the gates. The mountains look magnificent emerging from a thick cloak of mist, and Machu Picchu is stunning in solitude. Stop, breathe and soak it all in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Belmond Sanctuary Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge By Orient-Express Hotel Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Hotel
- Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu