“Living among the ruins”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Machu Picchu
philadelphia
“Living among the ruins”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Lodge is the only hotel actually at the site of Macchu Picchu so it is possible that the staff would let service slip since it's the only game in town. However, not only is the Lodge perfectly located and nicely appointed, the service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and accomodating; the rooms were nice with good views; the food was wonderful and they have an on-site spa. There is also a "day room" for guests who have checked out but need to check internet or shower etc before their departure. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank annaperon
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us.

Marc Yeterian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Carmichael, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I finally made it to South America to cross off 2 items on my bucket list. I went to the Iguasu falls Argentina/Brazil and Machu Picchu. I knew that the hotel was not the usual 5 star quality but I wanted it for the view. It was a foggy, rainy experience! I was sick from the altitude and caught a cold/cough...but I was determined to enjoy the experience and MP. I enjoyed getting into the park although my guide would not take me at 6am we went about 8:30 because of the weather. It was beautiful and I enjoyed walking through carefully and taking many photos. We were happy with the hotel service and the food. The soups, breads, dessert, entries and everything overall was tasty. Our meals were included, I would have eaten more but I was being careful not to get to stuffed! The one thing that did disturb me was the total lack of hot water in our shower. It was lukewarm. All the snacks in the mini bar were included and chips, cookies were somewhat stale. Juices and water were good. Service at the hotel dining room very good. I would like to come back and check it out when I am feeling better and really enjoy a massage and another walk in the park.

Room Tip: The location in the park is the best value, and having the nice waiting area for the train is great...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Popogranny
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which will aid us in constant improvement and upkeeping of our level of service.

We remain at your service.

Rowayton CT
Reviewed March 27, 2013

In order to really appreciate the spirituality of Machu Picchu and its Incan ancestors one must have some quiet time. The Sanctuary Lodge affords you a few quiet moments devoid of the crowds to really absorb this magnificent marvel.
Now, the reality of the hotel and its amenities. Understand before you book here, you are not paying for the size of the room or the view from the room, both are quite paltry. Liken it to a tight Holiday Inn room, with a small bathroom, a balcony on the ground floor and a table outdoors. It is clean and comfortable. Trust is placed in the hotel getting your bags to your train, though ours went without an issue, bags are placed on the floor in the lobby by the door and can be there for several hours before pick up. The only view of Machu Picchu is from the jacuzzi, so plan to take a dip.
Having commented on the hotel this still is worth the cost of your ho hum room. Come on its not about the room its about the most amazing adventure of a lifetime, it is Mach Picchu in case you forget. Dress appropriately...we went in rainy season, early March and had three days of sunshine. Lucky us. There is no denying the beauty and wonder of the Andes. Use your time at the Sanctuary Lodge to get into the park before the buses arrive and start at the village area and finish at the sacred sites last, this can help avoid the tour groups and crowds.
Another piece of advice, do not underestimate the altitude. My husband never had an issue in other high altitude areas so I didn't get the pills. He got very ill, as you are coming from Cusco or the Sacred Valley which are much higher elevations and you need to acclimate to the altitude.
Don't be afraid merely be prepared and go and love this magnificent adventure and the great food of Sanctuary Lodge but avoid the buffet and the mass of day hikers...go to the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Valarie G
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your opinion with us and the lovely description you have made of the hotel.

We will be happy to have you with us again.

Chicago
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed in a superior room for 2 nights. The location was perfect. It is located 30 steps from the entrance to MP. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. I emailed the hotel in advance of our stay and they were able to secure us tickets to hauyan Picchu. However, the rooms were average. We were surpised at the average rooms since this is an Orient Express Hotel. They definitely need to be updated. There were stains on the hotel and hallway carpets, uneven tile in bathroom, dated decorations, etc.... I know this sounds petty but when paying almost $1000/night, there are some expectations. We have stayed at other Orient Hotels and this hotel did not meet those standards. You are truly paying for the location. If location is number one priority then this is the hotel for you. If you want more value for your money, I suggest staying in town and taking the 20 minute bus ride to MP for approximately $20/day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elsa3
england
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is ideal for visiting Macchu Picchu. The staff are friendly and helpful. But, I simply do not believe that this is a 5 star hotel. The rooms are adequate and to be honest do not have the wow factor that I expect for a 5 star. The restaurant was fine but not exactly haute cuisine.

But, on the day I was leaving, I was due to take the 15.20 Vistadome train to Cusco. The staff assured me that my bag would be sent to the station and I would simply have to pick up my bag when I disembarked. That just did not happen. The bag remained at Sanctuary Lodge! Fortunately, I discovered this before the Hiram Bingham train left Macchu Picchu and the bag was put on that train and delivered to my hotel. I know that these things happen and it was just an honest mistake but it should not have happened.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 0n0n
houston
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I still can't believe that we paid $1000 per night, for each of our two rooms for our family to stay at this hotel. Of course the location is incredible, we walked out of our AWFUL hotel room, through the pack of tourist/hikers having the daily lunch buffet in the hotel dining room (lines out the door) and to the entrance to the Macchu Picchu Park. The staff was nice but overwhelmed with dealing with the daily onslaught of day trekkers. I haven't uploaded out pictures of the room, but it truly was the equivalent of a Holiday Express (if you are from the US). I can't imagine under any other circumstances paying more then $100 for the tiny room with knicked old furniture, a bathroom with green avocado tile from the 60's and not big enough for two people to stand in front of the toilet/shower area at the same time.
I am not exaggerating.
We had paid in advance or I would have left after the first night. I know that it is a 20 minute, winding road, bus ride down to the little town at the foot of the hill. But I cannot imagine that the bus ride is worth the extra $500-600 extra per night!!!!!
I have stayed at hotels in remote locations before. I am understanding of the difficulty in providing 5-star services. They tried. The fine-dining offered things that looked pretty on the plate. The food did not taste very good. It was probably the first time my daughters and I left a chocolate cake and ice cream uneaten. But again, at a reasonable rate with a surcharge for the location would have been understandable. I honestly felt sick when they led us to our rooms. With taxes, I wasted over $4000 for something that was supposed to be a fabulous treat. The carpets were dirty (probably from hikers) and the dark hallways and rooms smelled like mildew. Awful, awful, awful.
I have read the reveiws that talk about what a fantastic place this was and I can only say that their rooms were either VERY, VERY different (there are only 29 in the hotel) or the reviews are put up by someone working for the Orient-Exress or the hotel. I have heard that this is not an uncommon practice in the travel industry. As soon as I get pictures downloaded, I will add them.
Oh, but funny aside, I did hear from the bartender that since this is touted as '5 star' and is the only hotel at the attraction, they get their fair share of celebrities. If I had gotten to cozy up to Leonardo DiCaprio at the bar, I might feel differently about my experience. :-)

Room Tip: Our rooms were "Deluxe Mountain Views". They overlooked the buses that started bringing to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank calaway354
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for helping us to improve our services with your comments. The commitment of Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge is to give the best to our guests and your overall impressions about your stay in our property are very important to us.

Based on our regular’s guest’s comments, their experiences may be very different from yours but. However, it is good to know the reasons why we couldn’t achieve your expectations, so we can take special attention every one.

The food quality issue you mentioned depends on the perception of each guest and we can sincerely inform you that we use to receive a very high general appreciation of our gastronomy. However, we thank you for you impressions and will reinforce our food seasoning controls.

For what concern the competition in term of pricing, indeed there are cheaper hotels and hostels in the town of Aguascalientes but none of them offer the privilege to overnight nestle in the flank of Machu Picchu Citadel. Also, in the case you overnight in town, the time consumed by the bus trip means that between the line to purchase your bus ticket, the queue to get to the bus, the half an hour trip to get from the town to the Citadel, all round trip take away an average of two hours on your visit of Machu Picchu Citadel. Also, staying in our property offers to our guests the freedom to enter and exit the Citadel as many times as they wish during the day in order to lunch, refresh or rest for a while before to continue the discovery of Machu Picchu. Also our hotel is a Lodge which, due to its location and being part of Machu Picchu Citadel according to the ministry of culture, we unfortunately cannot do any structural transformation to the building. However we deeply value your comments and will continue with a permanent rooms and facilities improvement and keep on with all the efforts and focus, reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers always rank.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

No one can argue that the location of this hotel is incredible. I can't think of a more striking setting than the one this hotel has. That's where the superlatives end. The food was good. The drinks were good. The rooms were good. The price was almost $1000/night, all inclusive. That's not quite as bad as you might think as the hotel in Aquas Calientes are also expensive and don't have the benefit of the Sanctuary Lodge's location. If you have the money, stay here. If you're expecting unparalleled luxury, you'll be disappointed. I'm glad we stayed here, but I probably wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank stoneguy
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for helping us to improve our services with your comments.

Based on our regular’s guest’s comments, their experiences may be very different from yours but, however, it is good to know the reasons why we couldn’t achieve your expectations, so we can take special attention to each one.

Hotels located in in the town of Aguascalientes, none of them offer the privilege to overnight nestle in the flank of Machu Picchu Citadel. Also, in the case you overnight in town, the for concerning prices none, our hotel is an all-inclusive and offer the privilege to overnight on a platform of the Citadel when our guests do not suffer any noise disturbance from evening to morning as they overnight “alone” in this Sanctuary. Also, in the case you overnight in town, you may suffer from the noise a town generate until late at night, also the time consumed by the bus trip means that between the line to purchase your bus ticket, the queue to get to the bus, the half an hour trip to get from the town to the Citadel, all round trip take away an average of two hours on your visit of Machu Picchu Citadel. Also, staying in our property offers to our guests the freedom to enter and exit the Citadel as many times as they wish during the day in order to lunch, refresh or rest for a while before to continue the discovery of Machu Picchu.

We can guaranty you of our permanent commitment in keeping on with all the efforts and focus, reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers use to rank.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Machu Picchu
#2 of 24 in Aguas Calientes
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
Casa del Sol Machupicchu
#4 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Belmond Sanctuary Lodge? Share your experiences!