“Loved this place!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Machu Picchu
Mass
“Loved this place!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was here in January 2013. After reading other reviews, I was wondering if they all went to the same place! I had stayed in 3 different towns before AC, and found this hostel to be the best one I stayed in. I thought the room was very clean, the bed was super comfortable and the shower worked just fine. The breakfast was the best out of any I had in a hostal in Peru, came with eggs, nice bowl of fruit and any cereal and bread you wanted. I paid for the bag lunch and liked it as well. Marguerite, the owner was very helpful with hints about the town. Her son was there the second night and was just as friendly. I would recommend this place to anyone. Hey I got a facecloth here and they had bath mats!!!! They are currently updating the place and I am sure it will be even lovelier!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cajrn57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Nothing really special about the shower actually, but after the 6-day trek I was on, it was the best shower I ever had.

Breakfast is average, strange paintings all over the place, and the ugliest dog I've ever seen. That's the best way I can describe Gringo Bill's. It did it's job by providing a comfortable room and working shower, but that's about it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Waterville, New York
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent 2 nights here on either end of our Machu Picchu visit. We got the impression that the quality is slipping quite a bit. Although it was marginally OK, I cannot recommend it. We stayed in the family room, which had 5 beds total in two bedrooms which is great. However the master bedroom and bathroom had a real funky smell, and cleaniness was iffy. It is becoming a bit run down all over. The view from the balcony of this room was very nice. Yes you see laundry on neighboring rooftops but that is true of every place in Aguas Callientes except the two very high end places at the far ends of town.
Breakfast was poor, and if you wanted eggs it was an extra charge.
Pool/spa was closed (probably is except for the busy season)
Service was friendly at the front desk and helpful.
Location is good.

Room Tip: unless you get a good deal, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bill S

Travelers are raving about these Machu Picchu hotels

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked a suite at Gringo Bills in October, and after discussing it with the other women traveling with me, we decided not to stay overnight in Aguas Calientes. So, I canceled my hotel reservation, literally the next day. It has been over 4 months and multiple emails back and forth between various "management" personnel at Gringo's and I have yet to receive my refund. I have not stayed at this property, and therefore cannot rate the rooms, etc, but I can say that I will NEVER stay here or recommend that anyone else stay here if you value ethical business transactions. I knew planning a trip to Peru would come with the occasional snag and didn't expect it to go smoothly all the time, but I had hoped that a seemingly reputable hotel like Gringo's would provide better service. So bottom line, unless you are 100% sure you want to stay here and nothing will come up that will require you to change your reservation, look elsewhere or wait until you are sure because if you cancel, you won't see that money ever again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stephanie S
Currumbin, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at Gringo's in December 2012. Arrived in the dark around dinner time to find my booking had not been logged in.
This was interesting, as my name was on the sign to be met at the train. Which I was not!
One staff member hurried to find a vacant room, which was cleaned and allocated in around 30 minutes.
Because of the error, I accepted the clean would be below par. The room was as well. Noisy, no hair dryer. Took 2 hours to get a hair dryer.
No introduction to the hotel or its facilities. Restaurant currently closed except for dinner, don't know why.
Cleaning and kitchen staff friendly but no English at all. Just a tiny bit would be great.
Breakfast ok, bed less than ok.
Only saving grace was price around $100.00 Australian per night.
It was a shame, as Macchu Picchu is the crowning jewel to most travelers vacation, to have poor accommodation when returning from this wonderful part of the world was disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nathan717
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The wifi is not working in the room. The whirlpool and the swimmingpool were both out of orther. The room was not cleaned.
The only positive aspect of the hotel we can say, is its central position to get the bus to Machupichu and to go to the restaurants. Even though we stayed only one night, we really did not enjoy our stay and we cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We arrived on the first night to a blackout throughout the entire town. Luckily, they hotel had solar lamps prepared and that got us through the first night. We got a decent room with comfy beds and clean sheets. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast is below par, you get cold bread some fruits and eggs (seems that way throughout peru). Avoid the 25 soles lunch pack, just make do at Machu Picchu with some biscuits or something, it'd taste better than the lunch pack sandwich. Wifi speed was okay but PC at reception was spoilt though they let you use they working laptop. Chill out area was nice though, with cable TV and occasionally an amusing hairless dog. Priced reasonably for Aguas (we got room for 3 at $105 a night).

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Casa Andina Standard Machu Picchu
Hotel Ferre Machu Picchu
Hotel Ferre Machu Picchu
#10 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Gringo Bill's Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!