“Just Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

$410.00*
and up
Machu Picchu Full Day Tour by Train
More attraction details
Owner description: This three-hour rail journey between Cusco and Machu Picchu takes passengers through spectacular mountain scenery, dramatic canyons and along the beautiful Urubamba River with stops in the picturesque village of Poroy and other colorful small towns in the foothills of the Andes.
Quito, Ecuador
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went there with my best friend and boyfriend, the traintrip was very nice. Once we arrived to Aguas Calientes we went to buy Machu Picchu entrance. The have limits to let people go in, so buy it kn advance if you can, specially if you would like to go to Huaina Picchu ( from where most of pics if Machu Picchu are taken), we couldnt go :(. There us a bus you can take to go up to Machu Picchu from Aguas Calientes, but id you like to walk, you should go up the stairs!!! It was hor and humid but we did it, its quite tough, tough!!!

And of course , once you are up its just amazing, i really recommend to pay a guise or read a book bedore you go ther, otherwise you'll see just stones. Once uou are up, there are some trekking routes you can take......

No wonder its a WONDER!!!!

1 Thank wfogred

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Westport, Connecticut
“great experience, organized by “Escaped to Latin America””
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

One week filled with so many experiences! First enjoyed the beautiful Inca Capital Cusco, followed by a 4 day walking tour on the Incatrail to the Machupicchu. Intense and exhausting but rewarded. Perfectly organized by “Escaped to Latin America”. All shuttles were waiting for us, we got a very interesting guide, the best cook you can expect on this height and always smiling porters. This trip and the travel agent are very much recommend! Anna

Visited March 2013
Vienna, Austria
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not enough points to give!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Machu Picchu is one of the greatest sites i have ever seen! Everybody knows pictures or reports on TV about Machu Picchu, but iis absolutely sensational to see this place with your own eyes!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank oldieheinz
Canterbury, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“What an amazing journey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We catch the amazing vista dome Peru rail train down to Aguas Calientes. It is like heaven on earth to sink back into the comfortable leather seats and be served little snacks as the sunlight poured through the roof and the large picture windows of the carriage. The attendants would not be out of place in a Dickens novel with their smart uniforms and their hands kept behind their backs. We travel in blissful comfort as the train passes frighteningly close to the roaring, crazy red brown waters of the Urubamba river. The river is fearsome as it swirls around huge boulders and I imagine you could only survive for seconds in that turmoil and have heard from locals about serious floods that have destroyed part of the railway line and many houses. Tiny plots of cultivated land and small shacks flourish dangerously close to the swirling waters that tirelessly erode the river banks crashing them with roaring water. The train stops and people come running to it's side. A boy with a deformed face, a man without hands, an old woman, bent double proferring bunches of bright gladioli. I cannot resist buying the flowers and the old woman smiles as we move on through huge valleys and past mountain peaks. It is a tremendous journey you never want to end and we are sad to leave the train at Aguas Calientes. This is a really busy place with a bustling exciting market and there is a ceremony taking place in the main square with much pomp and brass music. This being Peru there are dogs everywhere of every known shape and size and breed. Dogs with their owners at the market place, dogs on leads, dogs listening to the music with their owners and dogs who appear to be strays wandering everywhere but we never encounter any aggressive dogs or any barking and fights nor any dog mess. Again the town is spotless and steep. This is the end of the line, the only way to get to Machu Pichhu is by train. The river is too violent to navigate and the mountains too steep for road building so the railway is the transport to this town and the trains turn round on the streets. Highly polished decorative bright blue Peru Rail trains and old rusty trains transporting goods locals and tourists all compete for space in the main street when you arrive. Getting anywhere means climbing and there are restaurants of every kind selling food from every corner of the world as well as the ubiquitous adverts for roast guinea pig and llama stew.

The sadness of leaving Machu Pichhu was lessened by the thought of another amazing train journey back along the Urumbamba river and going back to Casa Andina, our lovely hotel in the heart of Cusco. We boarded the vista dome feeling excited at our four hour train ride from Aguas Calientes to Poroy just outside Cusco. We were not disappointed. Our peace and quiet was interrupted by the train attendant whirling through the carriage like a dervish, we found out he was dressed as a devil dancer. The train went at a leisurely pace past huge valleys and then right by steep precarious red banks held in by netting. Snow capped Mountain mountain peaks and glimpses of huge glaciers. The raging torrent of a river still swirled but at points it was less fierce and there were little islands in the middle of the river with trees and birds. At one point our driver had to get out and help a railway crew to clear the line, all part of the excitement of this truly wonderful journey. A word of advice do not book cheap tickets but enjoy the relative luxury of the vista dome, the Hiram Bingham coaches are for the mega rich only.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank DrAnnaSG
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Trust me on this one!!! Tips for Machu Picchu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I are huge travel nuts. We've been to more countries than I can count. Here is some advice about Peru that you won't regret taking. My family and I recently traveled to Machu Picchu. My husband and I were there to renew our vows (my uncle is a priest in Pucallpa). We were all traveling separately and were to meet up at various points before heading north. I tell you this because we had three separate experiences of Machu Picchu. My mother and aunt bought a one package deal from Cusco which included their hotel, transportation and admission to the ruins. My husband and I are slightly more aloof and just showed up in Cusco with the intention of figuring it out from there. My in laws reserved the most expensive hotels they could find and hired a private tour guide. Three very different experiences. My mother and aunt had to wake up at something like 4am to get on the train to go to get to Aquas Callientes which is where the bus takes you up the mountain to Machu Picchu. After that they hiked around all day and then didn't get back on the train until almost dark. After this you will be on a bus for a couple of hours. They were both completely exhausted (and not in a good "that was awesome" way). My husband and I on the other hand opted to stay the night before in Aquas Callientes. I cannot recommend this option enough. Not only did we not have an exhausting trip the morning of our hike but we were able to make it to Machu Picchu early enough to see the sun rise and were the first in line for Huayna Picchu (which I do not recommend if you are terrible out of shape or afraid of heights). After our super long day of hiking I was so grateful that we were able to go back and relax in the hot springs unlike my mother who had to face a 5 hour journey back to her hotel (after being up at 4am). We stayed at Gringo Bills which is a nice place and not nearly as expensive as where my in-laws stayed. Keep in mind though, I think you have to buy your tickets to Machu Picchu in Cusco and if it's peak season you want to get them as early as possible because they have a limit on how many people are allowed on the site in a day. So lesson 1... if you can, stay in Aguas the night before and the night after your Machu Picchu trek. Lesson 2... DO NOT underestimate altitude sickness in Cusco. If you are from a low lying area (we are from Toronto) you WILL feel the effects even if you are in great shape. For some it's just a small amount of fatigue and for others its a serious illness. My husband and I felt great when we first arrived so we dropped our backbacks and started wandering around the steep hills of Cusco. We didn't feel it until it really hit us and we were gasping for air. It felt like having an asthma and a panic attack all at one. The hotels all keep oxygen tanks for this very reason. Trust me... do nothing on your first day. Drink Coca tea and relax. Give your body a chance to adjust. Its better once you get to Aquas but chances are you are going through Cusco first. Lesson 3... If you have the money, spend it on a guide. We went to Mach Picchu the first day by ourselves and very much enjoyed the breathtaking views. On the second day however, my inlaws came with us with their private guide. I learned so much about the same ruins I had seen the day before. I never would have appreciated it as much if I did not have someone who knew the history so well and could explain to me what the significance of every rock and crevice was. I'm never the "tour guide" type of person but this completely made my experience. Anyway, hope this advice helps and hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did!

Visited May 2012