“Tourist Trap”

Cuisines: Peruvian, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Neighborhood: Miraflores
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I wanted to like Huaca Pucllana the two times I went there. Really, I did. It's set in a pre-Inca ruin, and the layout is spacious with lots of waiters running around and everyone says its good.

I'm sorry, but the food is vastly overrated and overpriced. I can get better comida criolla at a corner restaurant in Miraflores. (Caveat: I live in Lima year round.)

The first night I went, I was with a film crew of 15 people who ordered nearly every dish on the menu so we got to try everything. Two people ordered the seco de cabra (goat) which was so salty, it was inedible. Some good fish and an okay lomo saltado. Prices way too high for this kind of food. Waiters hovering everywhere.

The second time I was dragged to HP I was with tourists who insisted on eating ceviche at night. That is sort of a cultural no-no in Lima; marinated raw seafood is only to be eaten fresh, during the day, but the fact that it was on the nighttime menu made me realize that Huaca Pucllana does not aim at the local crowd. The ceviche was okay.

The setting is gorgeous.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,460)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Huaca Pucllana is fine dining with a view. Night time is the best, since the flattened pyramid is attractively lit. The pyramid is dated at 500 A.D. Outdoor dining is best for the view, even though the interior of the restaurant is attractive and very comfortable. The waiting ares is furnished with leather sofas and chairs. Not a bad place to have a pre-dinner pisco sour or two. Menu selections include Peruvian and International specialties and a great steak. Desserts include lucama ice cream. This was one of the best restaurants we dined in Lima.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Where else can you dine in a covered patio restuarant tucked inside the wall of Lima's largest ruins? Huaca Pucllana was the Inca administrative complex for their city that is now Lima. It is the largest huaca of many that remain in the capitol city, located in Miraflores and the only one with a fabulous restaurant. It is high end but the service and food are fabulous. I had the magret de pato as they call the duck in mustard sauce. A fine, full bar with great wine selections and reserves. Open air and charming decor. What more could you want?

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Our food was amazing as was the service & how cool to be dining in the midst of the ruins!! Definitely eat here!! Try the volcano cake!!!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went here for Christmas dinner, family of four(15,17,and parents). The settings is really beautiful, sat on the terrace. Food was excellent, all be it a lot of waiting staff hovering around, you get past that quickly. The prices are on the high side for south America but not crazy expensive for a special night out. We all enjoyed it! So glad they were open and could get a reservation.