“great place to stay”
Review of Casa San Martin

Casa San Martin
Ranked #51 of 316 Lima B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a wonderfully cozy, down-to-earth small hotel in one of the best locations in Lima. It is not fancy but it doesn't pretend to be and it provides everything you could want from a small, family-run hotel, and more. The owner, Lidia, and her staff are wonderful. They are very helpful and will go out their way to make your stay comfortable and fun (if you are on vacation) or productive (if you are on business). As just one example, when the airline messed up a traveling companion's reservations, Lidia spent a long time on the phone and got it all straightened out--with a smile. After a few days, it was like staying with family. The rooms are clean and comfortable with cable TV, working phones and free wi-fi. The included breakfast is fast, fresh and delicious. The location is amazing. Miraflores is one of the liveliest, most cosmopolitan and safest neighborhoods in Lima, and this hotel is on a relatively quiet side street just blocks from all the action. The price for this location and quality is unbelievably reasonable. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bigjinak
There are newer reviews for Casa San Martin

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We loved this property. Our room overlooked the wonderful streets of Lima. The hotel is not far from the beach and downtown district with wonderful shopping and restaurants.

We spent our anniversary here in Peru. Our room was great and we were even served breakfast in our room. What a treat!

Monica was wonderful!! We cannot say enough, how helpful, friendly and fun she was. We sincerely appreciate all of her hard work in making our stay so great!

We highly recommend this property
The rooms were clean
Lots of hot water showers
Great meals
Close to town
Close to beach
Lots of great sites to see within walking distance

A perfect little gem of a place and the price is perfect!

Cheers,
The Harris' : )

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William H
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed six nights here upon my arrival in Lima. I recommend this hotel as having a very helpful staff, comfortable rooms, and a wonderful breakfast cooked to order. The hotel is in a good location, a few blocks from the shopping center at the sea, and a few blocks the other direction from Parque Kennedy, which is an area with excellent restaurants. I never felt unsafe walking back to the hotel at night, although past 10 pm or so, I'd take a taxi. I'd do this in any city, as I am a woman traveling alone. The hotel is in a safe neighborhood, two blocks from one of the main streets, so it's nice and quiet.

The rooms were very comfortable, with lots of blankets. I was still a bit cold, as no heaters in the room and no sun for more than a few hours in Lima. Of course, I'd just come from California, so I hadn't acclimated yet!

They also arrange a private taxi for airport pickup, $20 and we'll worth it. Their taxi service is always available if you request it.

I'd return to this hotel anytime I was coming to Lima.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street get more light, so it seems a bit warmer. They are larger with more wind...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CaliforniaWoman42
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Location is very good if you wanna be in Miraflores. The facilities are old and dark, bed is not very nice and the not very nice (and not very clean) bathroom has an unreliable shower (terrible towel, by the way). The staff is helpful and breakfast is really good with fresh bread, cheese, ham, eggs, fresh fruits and juice, but the place is just too simple for the price and to be called a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Excellent location. Near shops, restaurants, laundries and transporation. Two doors down from our Spanish language school. Hotel arranged (for $20) safe airport pick-up for our 2 AM arrival. The room rate included a full hot breakfast with tropical fruit, freshly squeezed orange juice, etc. served in a charming courtyard. Our room (at the front) was very large and comfortable. Receptionists were very helpful but at times, Lidia (the manager) was difficult to deal with.

If internet (WiFi) in your room is important to you, do not stay here. We were told it was available but it never worked, despite daily assurances (for our 10 day stay) by Lidia that "it will be fixed tomorrow." We met other guests who checked out early for this reason. We were told it had been like this for months. On the other hand, we were able to use WiFi in the hotel's public area in the breakfast courtyard.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Checked in to San Martin and was given a great room on the fourth floor with a balcony. The entire time, staff was friendly and incredibly accommodating. Breakfast is served until 10, so I went on a run around 9:00 and tried to hurry to be back in time. When I came back, they told me not to worry, that they would make it for me whenever I was ready. The complimentary breakfast is excellent -- freshest fruit I've had in a long time! Lidia also gave me some great restaurant tips. Great location, walking distance to Parque Kennedy, Larcomar, etc. Very safe & such a nice, tranquil hotel. Would DEFINITELY recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank dctraveler2012
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I picked Casa San Martin because of its good price (60$ a night, single room) and its Miraflores location.Very good choice. Most impressive was the level of attention of the staff, which was unique during my two weeks stay in Peru. Three examples:
1. The cold water and the toilet water were not running. I brought this to the attention of the manager (Lidia) who personally came to verify. It turned out a knob was off. The problem got fixed in literally 60 seconds.
2. I had some dirty clothing washed, including my favorite hat. I was told it will be ready at 10am next morning. However, my Lima tour started at 10am. At 9.30 I asked the hotel if I could have the hat earlier. At 9.45 I had it (the rest of the clothes came later).
3. They arranged for taxi drivers at arrival and departure, despite my very odd hours. The drivers were in stand-by 1 hour before the set time, ready to go at my signal. This is remarkable, since nothing else was on time in Peru.
A small downside was that the room furniture and decoration was outdated, but still functional. The hotel looks very clean, with a lovely inner patio where you're served a hearty breakfast (included in price). Lidia was very quick to answer all my emails, and her staff speaks English reasonably well (another rarity in Peru).

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo