“Excellent staff and location”
Review of Casa San Martin

Casa San Martin
Ranked #46 of 327 Lima B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I picked Casa San Martin because of its good price (60$ a night, single room) and its Miraflores location.Very good choice. Most impressive was the level of attention of the staff, which was unique during my two weeks stay in Peru. Three examples:
1. The cold water and the toilet water were not running. I brought this to the attention of the manager (Lidia) who personally came to verify. It turned out a knob was off. The problem got fixed in literally 60 seconds.
2. I had some dirty clothing washed, including my favorite hat. I was told it will be ready at 10am next morning. However, my Lima tour started at 10am. At 9.30 I asked the hotel if I could have the hat earlier. At 9.45 I had it (the rest of the clothes came later).
3. They arranged for taxi drivers at arrival and departure, despite my very odd hours. The drivers were in stand-by 1 hour before the set time, ready to go at my signal. This is remarkable, since nothing else was on time in Peru.
A small downside was that the room furniture and decoration was outdated, but still functional. The hotel looks very clean, with a lovely inner patio where you're served a hearty breakfast (included in price). Lidia was very quick to answer all my emails, and her staff speaks English reasonably well (another rarity in Peru).

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Andrei F

Reviewed December 27, 2011

I had a great time at this hotel earlier this year. It's very possible to have a comfortable stay here, just realize some things about the type of place it is.

The property advertises itself as a boutique hotel, and it is this to a T. I suspect that the building's a little bit old, and this colored some of my first impressions when I arrived. There were a couple chips in the staircase, some areas of faded wood stain, and my bedding wasn't great. But settle in and you realize... it's still a nice little boutique hotel. And let's talk about the positivies,

Location
Two blocks from a live music and salsa dancing club, walking distance to the beach / cliffs (I wouldn't swim here - the good beaches are a half hour south of Lima), the plaza, a grocery store, easy to find taxis a couple blocks away, lots of local food nearby...

The Staff
Really, the staff is very warm and personal if you stop to chat. I've seen this in review after review and I absolutely agree. I don't think that anyone on the crew is fully fluent in English (Lidia's pretty good), but with a phrase book you'll get by.

Accessible at a Decent Price
This is not a terribly expensive hotel by standards of signing up with Expedia. And, maybe that's the the point ---

Breakfast
The staff will make breakfast for you. Toast, eggs, fruit, purreed papaya. Quite nice.

Here's the point
Just around the corner there's a hotel that costs less than half of this place. There are definitely cheaper places even in Miraflores.

But here you can stay in a slightly fancy if faded little boutique hotel, at a decent price, in a relatively safe and convenient area, spending time around nice people, and it's easy to find and do business with them.

There's an awful lot to be said for that.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Timhavingfun
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel was a great find in the Miraflores district of Lima. It is located on a quiet street but only 2-3 blocks to the busy Larco shopping district and only a few more to Parque Kennedy. The staff were friendly and helpful and welcomed me warmly when I showed up quite early and guarded luggage for me while I took a side trip for a few days.

There were a few spots inside where the building needed a little work, but the rooms were clean and comfortably furnished as was the breakfast area. Hot water was hot and in adequate supply. Extra blankets were already in the room if you decided you couldn't take the cool Lima nights. There is no pool or spa on the premises, but several local salons nearby offer massage at reasonable rates.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I am afraid I do not have very good things to say about this hotel. I wanted to like it because the staff was very pleasant and attentive, and the location was great, however my room was less than perfect.
The real deal breaker for me was the quality of the shower and the bathtub. The shower head was just spraying water all over, and I was unable to control the pressure. In addition, he bathtub drain was absolutely slow/clogged allowing the tub to fil up with water up to my mid lower legs. Obviously, did not feel very sanitary to have to be stepping in the waste wash water.

Also no refrigerator in the room so that I can keep cool water or fruit

Plus expect to pay an extra 8% if you are paying with credit card

I had a 2 night stay and I had to switch for the second night. The shower was unusuable

With a little more care and maintenance of the rooms this hotel could be better. But for now I would not go back to it

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank ekeinos
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Although chilly (there were no heaters in any of the rooms we stayed in at Lima), the blankets were warm and the service was great, staff was very friendly. Breakfast was very good. The rooms had plenty of space and were clean and nice. My husband even left his wallet in the hotel room, and we were able to come back and get it 3 days later, everything was still there.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We were visiting Lima with young adult kids and my parents and were looking for a reasonably-priced hotel in Miraflores that would be more than just a chain hotel. Casa San Martin was a great choice - and the staff were very accommodating and helpful. A bit like a home away from home!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I read the reviews of Casa San Martin and thought they sounded pretty good. So I booked the first night of our trip to Lima there. Well it was everything other people said and more. The owners are wonderful and helpful people. The rooms were clean and had great views. The breakfast was fresh and yummy. We couldn't of asked for a better experience!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple