“Fabulous afternoon!”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for lunch at 1 and finished just past 4! Yes, we had the tasting menu "Love Lima" which was 12 courses long. We were sat in the conservatory area, a huge space with lots of natural light and plants all around - without a doubt one of the best ambiences I've experienced. The service is superb and thanks to the waitress we discovered Chilcanos (a pisco cocktail) and have just been drinking those at lunch since then! Each dish was explained and was as pretty as a picture (took almost 100 photos of the food!) and just as delicious. They have THE BEST ceviche in town (we also went to Maido and Central, so I'm not exaggerating when i say THE best!) and I can say with some authority (having traveled and eaten all over the world), the most incredible bread basket!! We were actually told off and warned not to eat too much off it as there was still lots of food to come.....Apart from those two call outs, I have to admit to being enamoured of their pea parfait (I know!!). The fig dessert was also awesome (with grated frozen fig - what a great idea, one I plan to steal!). We each got a box of petit fours to take away, and I'm not a great sweet person so expected to just eat the chocolate one, but somehow managed to inhale all 6 without even realising! What a treat to end the meal!

1  Thank apara
Write a ReviewReviews (5,394)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had the tasting menu and there is not much I can say about it other than absolutely incredible! 15 courses and every one of them excellent, perfectly balance favours through every course. Service was excellent as well!

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I did the Lima Love tasting menu, and it was outstanding. The presentation, pacing, service, and flavors were just fantastic. My husband, being celiac, requested in the reservation for Gluten-free dishes, and they carefully offered each dish prepared with that in mind, pointing out any differences they made to his portions (several dishes had to be altered to be GF, and in the case of one dish - a dumpling - they prepared an alternative octopus dish for him that more than made up for the change). The variety and different culinary representations of Perú really impressed us, and the different ingredients that were native to Perú gave each dish a truly special character. We were looking for a dinner that would give us a taste of Perú, and Astrid and Gastón did that and more, giving us a truly memorable dinner we will never forget.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was very excited to book what I read was one of the best restaurants in Peru and with a highly regarded chef, in a wonderful old castle. I booked the tasting menu. I was attracted to and looking forward to the environment of a restaurant in a converted castle. I had read that the atmosphere was intimate and fitting of being in a classic regal residence. Well, they sat me in a large cavernous and fairly modern plain room next to the kitchen. It was a cold space with no textiles--no tablecloths, carpets, or drapes. Also there was American style music which I did not find appetizing. It felt like they put me in the room that they thought the 20-35 year old trendsetting couples would enjoy, but were insensitive to my being more mature, dining solo, and someone who would have preferred a quieter cozier setting.

I was not offered water at all while the tables around me were. So, after finally getting someone's attention and speaking with the sommelier I let him know that I did NOT want a sweet cocktail, and he recommended the strawberry basil Pisco sour. I explained that I only wanted dry or sour Pisco drinks. After it took 15 minutes to arrive, the drink was undrinkably sweet. I had to refuse it. It took a long time to get the mineral water con gas. They poured a glass and took the bottle away. I tried to ask whether I was able to have the rest of the bottle, but the Spanish speaking waiter didn't really understand me but tried to explain something about it not being "legal" to leave the bottle on the table (??). He took it away, and luckily was able to fill up my glass later on. I settled on a white wine instead of the too sweet cocktail.

After a time, my tasting menu dishes started to arrive. There were silly props with the dishes, and too plain dish-ware, very much unlike the much more sensitive prop treatment at Central, where I had eaten the day before. For example, the first dish was called "The Indecent Bed" which was like an amuse bouche. It was served on a too large ceramic box made to look like a rumpled bed. Very strange. There were small bites of food--to their credit, they did give me a little GF empanada, but the meat inside was way too salty.

The waiters and the sommelier really didn't know enough about the food or drinks. One of the dishes was called "cuy" which I learned later in the trip meant guinea pig. The waiter told me it was rabbit. It tasted good! But, I was told it was a different protein than it was.

All in all, for a 12 course tasting menu, I found about half the dishes to be exquisite and half to be not up to par. They give you two chocolate desserts to depart with. I didn't care for the cigar dish, but nibbled on the box of 6 unusual truffles for days after.

I didn't like the atmosphere at all. While I had a view of the kitchen, it was from everyone above the waist. So, all I could see was a bunch of cooks running around the kitchen--nothing to do with the food they were preparing. However, a few things I would have rather not seen were these cooks sweeping brooms, and cooks writing on a white board with magic marker--both of which having no business around food preparation.

After my meal, I took a little tour around the place. There were many more appealing places to be seated including an inviting outdoor terrace area. I mentioned to the receptionist that I would have rather been seated anywhere than where I was, and she delivered to me the news that since I was dining solo, my options were limited. Ha! Punished for dining solo, at a cost of about $160 US!

This restaurant does not hold a candle to Central.

1  Thank bumblebee1
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was by far the best dinner we had while in Lima. I would recommend this to anyone looking to have a fantastic dinner. Great food. Great atmosphere. Great service.