“A dining experience not worth the hype ”
Review of Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston
Ranked #30 of 3,627 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

There are so many amazing placing in Lima to eat, competition is tough. Comparable to other restaurants in Lima, Astrid & Gaston wins on presentation and nothing else. But the tasting menu is nothing I walked away from with the desire to have again. The presentation of the plating was more intriguing than the food itself. It was decent, but top 50 restaurants in the world? Not in my opinion.

Date of visit: March 2016
Write a reviewReviews (6,367)

Reviewed August 29, 2016

We went a group of 6 to Astrid and Gaston in the middle of the week.
Reservations were done on the same day , lucky for us we got a table.
The place is very impressive and actually quite big, (remember your way back when you go to the bathrooms  )
On our way in we were directed to the bar (you can have some small portions on the bar with the bar menu) and waited to be seated while tasting some of the cocktails (which were quite good although I have had better).
After a while (and asking about the status of our table) we were directed to the inner hall where we seated.
We decided to take the big tasting menu (you can choose between a 10 and 15 menu).
The plates started to come quite quickly with some explanations (in Spanish) about each plate. I liked the fact that the explanations were short and to the points as some of the restaurants tend to linger with it while all you want is to eat.
Comparing to other tasting menu which I had in the past the plates were not that small.
One should come hungry to the restaurant to enjoy all 15 plates, as after the 10 plate I started to feel full (and it was the same for the rest of the group).
The plates itself are very tasty and beside one plate (the rabbit) we enjoy them.
If it is you first time in Peru ,please note that one of the famous local dish call CUY which is actually Guinea pig (yes the same one many are growing as a pet) its tasty but some might find it hard to eat something they consider as nice ferry pets , I would not recommend to miss it and not at least try it.
For the tasting menu, Two bottles of wines and a cocktail we paid around 170$ (each) which to my opinion is a good price comparing to such restaurants around the world.

Reviewed August 28, 2016 via mobile

I'm in two minds about this restaurant - the offhandish maitre d' who refused to believe that his staff had confirmed a change in time of our reservation ? The somewhat stark lighting in the restaurant at lunch ? The loud kitchen where staff seem to encourage each other to shout things similar to the 'shamasay' you hear in upmarket Sushi places ? There were a lot of couples in the restaurant but it is not really a romantic place.
But I'll focus on the positives: the dinner dining room looked much nicer and warmer; the colonial mansion is pretty and impressive and has its own 'garden of Eden' where they grow their herbs.
The food arrived promptly and beautifully presented. Quantities are generous, the cuisine very artful and original. Many varied spices and superb tastes. The Santa Bomba chocolate desert was spectacular in presentation (it would feed 4 comfortably) but a bit sickly in taste.
I've given it 5 stars because the cuisine is of a very high standard. The prices are very high (much higher than Rafael's which I found had more charm while being equally good). Perhaps there are Michelin stars to preserve or something. I left with the feeling that I had eaten in a top restaurant in Lima but that the feeling was a bit soulless. I would recommend dinner but reserve a long time in advance. The tasting menu would also be a good thing to try - the neighbouring table had it and seemed to enjoy it very much.

Reviewed August 27, 2016

This is not only is this a top-ranked restaurant among locals and visitors from all over the world, it recently read that they received an international culinary acknowledgment and prizes when it became the first restaurant in Peru to make an appearance on the San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants list, a prestigious ranking second only to the esteemed Michelin Guide. Astrid and Gaston loves to welcome their guests with a natural warmth smile and handshakes and hugs. Cocktails and appetizers are out of this world. Dishes are spectacular in flavor and presentation, the place immaculate clean and beautifully decorated. A wonderful experience you can't miss!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed August 26, 2016

To our surprise we found such a wonderful restaurant in Lima. Their service station was nicely integrated within a bookshelf. Lots of room and easy to have your own conversation. The fixed menu was well balanced. from trout ceviche, sea urchin salad, to guinea pig.. Every dish was wonderful and the desert and nice candy shop