“spectacular food served artistically and caringly”
Review of Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston
Ranked #30 of 3,627 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed July 6, 2016

This was a meal that will not be forgotten. Although we arrived a few minutes before the restaurant opened, the host welcomed us as though we were long-lost guests and seated us in the bar area. The food was beautifully presented and delicious in flavor. Decor was magnificent and the service was personal yet unobtrusive. Not to be missed is the "chocolate bombe", a dessert that defies description and can only be experienced first-hand. It easily fed six of us and has given us topics of conversation for weeks ever since!

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (6,365)

Reviewed July 6, 2016

My two friends and I showed up right at 7:00pm without a reservation. The maître d' was extremely friendly and had us wait at the bar to see if he could get us a table. After he gave us a tour of the restaurant and the different kitchens, he sat us down at right in front of the kitchen!

We ordered both tasting menus, the larger one has an additional (I think) 5 or so dishes. We were awed at every course and had a delightful time listening to the creativity and stories behind every dish. The timing of every dish was perfect and we were extremely excited that we got to eat here. Being from New York, I was also surprised at the price of the tasting menus - being able to get 20+ dishes for less than 130USD is pretty much unheard of in NYC nonetheless from a world renowned restaurant.

Make sure you get a chance to stop by!

3  Thank ofrizzzle
Reviewed July 5, 2016

We did their winter tasting menu (June 2016). They had 2 tasting menu and we did the smaller one since we don't have big stomachs to begin with. This was my first real fancy restaurant I have been able to go to since in the US it costs too much but this was worth the price! Our menu: La Cama mandinga (bed of goodies (not real translation) but lots of little goodies to start off with; homemade bread and butter oh my their butter was spectacular one had fish with tomato coal so flavorful and different, lard was another one with which I wasn't sure what to expect but it was delicious, avocado and a last one which had a pepper compote; limeno ceviche was the best that I've ever had it was just perfection; nikkel sea urchin salad was soft like satin and it melted in your mouth; 3 step guinea pig full of flavor they even made a taco out of hoisin sauce!; pacific fish amazonic scents never had a fish cooked that way was so soft; suckling pig (probably my least favorite out of all but still delicious); apple, pisco and peppermint (desert) so so good, chocolate, lemon and oregano also very good then last we had a surprise box full of chocolates and cookies, our waiter just kept opening compartment after compartment and you just couldn't chose what to have since it all looked amazing. The presentation and tastes were like no else. Every dish was beautiful. Who knew food could be art. The experience was great for breaking my cherry into fine dining. So since we had a good time there we also went to their other restaurant La Mar also in Lima and that was just as delicious but more moderately priced.

Reviewed July 4, 2016

So we had high expectations for Astrid & Gaston, having been to many outstanding restaurants around the world. We had the tasting menu and some items (the scallops, ceviche, and even the bread) were outstanding. That said, they weren't consistently superb and the dessert simply had too many competing flavors. Wine pairings were very good but the timing of the whole thing was a little off. Sometimes we received a course but then had to wait too long for the accompanying wine. And then once an additional course was served when my daughter had yet to finish what she was eating. That simply should not happen in a "top 20 in the world" restaurant. Don't get me wrong -- the food was very good. But it was not up to what one would expect, given the advance praise.

1  Thank gbsand81
Reviewed July 3, 2016

I am kicking myself that I have forgotten our servers name, she was fantastic! Was so generous when my husband at the last minute decide to eat a la carte instead of the 7-course tasting we had reserved for myself and our sons. She was so gracious, timed his asparagus and pasta dishes to come out perfectly with our courses and everyone was happy. She was very knowledgeable and shared about the food, the sourcing of the asparagus and even told me the history of the building as she escorted me to the ladies room. (Go-it's interesting.) The seven course tasting was well balanced- heavy/light, vegetable/protein, flavors/textures and full of surprises! The food was outstanding, the service was relaxed and polished at the same time. This would be the first place we would eat next time to Lima!