“Fun restaurant to end our trip in Peru!”
Review of Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston
Ranked #43 of 2,762 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had such a fun time at this restaurant our last night in Peru. The service was fantastic, we had two servers handling our table so we always felt cared for throughout our meal. We ordered two starters - the cebiche which was fabulous and the scallops. Looking back on our meal, I think we would have been fine with just the cebiche because it was a very decent sized portion. I ordered the suckling pig leg which was also delicious but, it was very rich and a lot of food. It was sort of a fun dish, because they had three different preparations on the plate. My husband ordered the butter fish with the asparagus risotto and that was also really delicious. They also bring you a complimentary sampling of desserts at the end, I am still wondering how I had room to try anything else after that large of a meal! I do feel like it is was a great value, in hindsight, I probably would have ordered a little less food. I would have loved to order a bunch of appetizers because everything looked great on the first page of the menu. The couple next to us did a tasting menu which also looked pretty fantastic. If you would decide to go, I strongly suggest reservations.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I planned to go there in advance and I had asked to arrange a business dinner there. Unfortunately the expectation clashed with the reality. I am not excluding, in view of the general positive reviews, that I was dining in the wrong day.
The interior and service is somehow "tired". It gave me the impression of a restaurant that used to be of top level long time ago and could not modernize itself.
The food was pretentious but with lack of substance and in general I could not really understand which direction the chef was willing to give to the dishes I tasted. No big change with the dessert. Cocktail was good. But you don't got o Astrid y Gaston for a cocktail...

1  Thank mbors
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We should know by now not to go to these vaunted restaurants. The concierge booked us a late luncheon, as we thought things might settle a little at the busy place. We arrived on time and were given a crummy table. The wait staff seemed more interested in every other table than us. Then we got rushed into ordering, and given remarkably bad information about the items on the menu. The appetizers came fast and furious, then we waited and waited for the entree. After seeing others get their orders, and seeing others being handled professionally, and waiting an inordinate amount of time, we got up, offered to pay for what we received, and left.

From what we did see, the food looked extraordinary. The appetizer was very good. However, I think the service here must be highly overrated. I think that the service staff was poorly managed, and I think the service staff decided when we arrived that we were not worthy of their ministrations.

There are other fine restaurants in this city. Some are not as renowned as this one. However, I will never make this mistake again. Just because you have a reputation, deserved or not, the customer is always to be treated well. This did not happen here.

2  Thank 2Journeyfolks
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The service was perfect. It was definitely the best place to try guinea pig. The food was flavoursome and we were provided with 2 courses on the house. Granted the decor isn't up their with some of the best restaurants in Europe but i had a great time.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We heard loads about Astrid y Gaston and were not at all disappointed. The chicha morada(purple corn juice) is a must try since they mix it differently with pineapple and lime which adds a unique after taste. Tres Ceviche was very refreshing, made with extremely fresh seafood (the prawn was really sweet!). Lomo Saltado was okay, asparagus risotto with fish was nice but a little too creamy for my liking.Favorite main was the Saltado de Premavera. Had a little spice (aji) in the fried seafood plate along with tacu tacu. Lots of flavor, great for spice and seafood lovers.

Our waiter was very attentive and explained each dish in detail. The good service might be attributed to our odd dining hour (2pm) but either way, definitely worth the money!