“Not at all what it used to be !!!!!!”
Review of La Carreta

La Carreta
Ranked #211 of 2,924 Restaurants in Lima
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Isidro
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have previously rated La Carreta as above average - good meat ,..... 7 of us went on Saturday 23 of March and it was just awfull .... i realised things were not going well right from the get go when the waiter kept on insisting that the T BONE was really what we should be ordering ( the most expensive on the menu !!! ) anyhow we ordeded BIFE DE CHORIZO , BABY BEEF , FILLET MIGNON ( all american beef !! according to the waiter ) ,... we could telll as soon as the food arrived that we were in for a bad expierience . the meat had a pale look to it and didnt look like it had even been cooked on a parilla .. anyhow we all tried to eat it but it was just so tasteless and tough so we decided to complain and ask to speak to the head waiter , first of all there is no way this was imported beef from the United States .. whatever it was they defrosted it quickly in a microwave or warm water , the french fries were cold !!! the waiter did offer to change the dishes but truthfully we now had such a bad vibe about the place that we just decided to leave , we were not charged for anything , not even the soft drinks or pisco sours but honestly we went there as a group for a goodbye lunch before heading to the airport and it was SO SO BAD , what a pity ... this used to be one of THE places to go for good meat in Lima ...

2  Thank John M

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Maybe we were there at the wrong time of day (between lunch and dinner); maybe it's because we were using a gift certificate, and had to take whatever was offered, but it was one of the worst meals that my husband and I have ever experienced in a city, which is otherwise blessed with extraordinary restaurants. We were served the "Parrilla for 2": a pile of grilled "mystery meats" (most of which we could not identify), heaped on a heated platter. There were pieces resembling entrails that I didn't want to touch, much less eat. But I am an adventurous diner, and believe that one should at least sample things. So I did. I wish I hadn't. It was like chewing on spongy organ valves and intestines. The cuts of carne, which we could recognize, were barely edible. They were horribly over-cooked (and we had specifically asked for the beef to be rare), and extremely tough. I might as well have been gnawing on my own shoe. We ended up taking literally 95% of the meal home to our dog, who did enjoy it! That said, the place has a lovely atmosphere, but the service was slow and unresponsive. I would NEVER, of my own volition, go back to this restaurant.

4  Thank Ana lisa M
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Come on - really . . . this place is awesome (yes - I know; I did not rate the restaurant with 5-stars . . . well, read on and you will find out why). The atmosphere is so classic "old world" Latin America. The meat, although very good, is not great. With that said - the true essence of the place is the . . . . well, the total package. This is a place that deserves a full night to soak-up and absorb. This is the type of place that you plan to go for dinner and you end up spending three hours deeply engrossed in conversation (ask to sit on the patio area and check out the old car in the courtyard).

The waitstaff are all schooled in the true art of service. The tables and the general ambience is just perfect. The wine selection - although heavily weighted toward Argentinean reds - is really just fair. They do, however, have a number of red and wine generous pours and a complete bar selection to satisfy everyones need for a Peruvian Pisco Sour.

I have been to "The Cart" a number of times. Until tonight - it had been a few years. I miss the classic nature of this pure Latin American steak house. I can guarantee you - it will not be another year-plus absence before I return again.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a a great place to go for a steak or salad - superb ambience in old style colonial building with courtyard

Good Points:

Food is excellent
Great ambience and decor
Great salad bar
Very well organise

Bad points:

Can get busy and service may slow donw a bit

Reviewed November 26, 2012

the restaurant is in the middle of the financial district and has great BBQ. Certainly worth a try. Different rooms provide a nice atmosphere and the service is really good.