“Extremely Disappointing!!!”
Review of La Carreta

La Carreta
Ranked #207 of 2,505 Restaurants in Lima
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: San Isidro
Lima, Peru
“Extremely Disappointing!!!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Maybe we were there at the wrong time of day (between lunch and dinner); maybe it's because we were using a gift certificate, and had to take whatever was offered, but it was one of the worst meals that my husband and I have ever experienced in a city, which is otherwise blessed with extraordinary restaurants. We were served the "Parrilla for 2": a pile of grilled "mystery meats" (most of which we could not identify), heaped on a heated platter. There were pieces resembling entrails that I didn't want to touch, much less eat. But I am an adventurous diner, and believe that one should at least sample things. So I did. I wish I hadn't. It was like chewing on spongy organ valves and intestines. The cuts of carne, which we could recognize, were barely edible. They were horribly over-cooked (and we had specifically asked for the beef to be rare), and extremely tough. I might as well have been gnawing on my own shoe. We ended up taking literally 95% of the meal home to our dog, who did enjoy it! That said, the place has a lovely atmosphere, but the service was slow and unresponsive. I would NEVER, of my own volition, go back to this restaurant.

4 Thank Ana lisa M

• Korean first
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Hmmmm . . . BEEF!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Come on - really . . . this place is awesome (yes - I know; I did not rate the restaurant with 5-stars . . . well, read on and you will find out why). The atmosphere is so classic "old world" Latin America. The meat, although very good, is not great. With that said - the true essence of the place is the . . . . well, the total package. This is a place that deserves a full night to soak-up and absorb. This is the type of place that you plan to go for dinner and you end up spending three hours deeply engrossed in conversation (ask to sit on the patio area and check out the old car in the courtyard).

The waitstaff are all schooled in the true art of service. The tables and the general ambience is just perfect. The wine selection - although heavily weighted toward Argentinean reds - is really just fair. They do, however, have a number of red and wine generous pours and a complete bar selection to satisfy everyones need for a Peruvian Pisco Sour.

I have been to "The Cart" a number of times. Until tonight - it had been a few years. I miss the classic nature of this pure Latin American steak house. I can guarantee you - it will not be another year-plus absence before I return again.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Superb Lima Steak House”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a a great place to go for a steak or salad - superb ambience in old style colonial building with courtyard

Good Points:

Food is excellent
Great ambience and decor
Great salad bar
Very well organise

Bad points:

Can get busy and service may slow donw a bit

Lima, Peru
“fine lunch in the business district”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

the restaurant is in the middle of the financial district and has great BBQ. Certainly worth a try. Different rooms provide a nice atmosphere and the service is really good.

Visited February 2012
Lakeland, Florida
“30-something years later, still number one”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

being originally from the beautiful city of Lima I have been familiar with La Carreta for many, many years. Last week I had the opportunity to visit and was once again reminded as to why they are the number one steak house in Peru. The ambiance is impeccable, the hostesses attentive, the drinks as good as they get and the food ... well I can't say enough about the food. The grilled chorizos were perfect in flavor and the way they were cooked, the bife de chorizo (sort of like a NY strip) was cooked to perfection, full of flavor and the best quality meat, tender and delicious, the home-made french fries, bread and sauces cannot be touched, their chimichurri is the best. I would take a trip to Lima just to eat there, and probably will

• Visited November 2012