“Fashionable, traditional, expensive.”

Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miraflores
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This has been a fashionable coffee shop/restaurant for more than 50 years and it shows in a good way. Food is (mostly) always good quality and well presented. Service is courteous, as to cater the older public.

At tea time you can see old ladies meeting friends and younger nieces being prepared for the next generation.

It can be noisy sitting outside!

There are newer reviews for La Tiendecita Blanca

Reviewed January 21, 2013

As the previous review suggested, this "Swiss" (?) restaurant is expensive AND mediocre. I never follow other people's opinions, or write reviews lightly, but this time I must agree: it's true (from my own perspective).

I've been to "La Tiendecita" 4 times. The first time was really nice. I was a "newbie" in Lima. Full of hopes and ideals. Google suggested this is the No1 place to go to for breakfast. TripAdvisor implied (among its ratings) the same. So I went there quite a few times.

Some of the staff speak English. Some don't. Those who don't look at you as if you're from another planet, and, seemingly, *insist* on using Spanish to converse with you, whether you like it or not. Of course, it's fun :) A good way to practice your non-existent Spanish! Sometimes (but just sometimes) you wonder what kind of inept management, though, runs this place: in this metropolis of 9-something million people, the majority of members of staff they could find *do not* speak English? Seriously?

Never mind that. They'll always find you someone who speaks English. So far (is this a mere coincidence or what?) those who spoke English would be so much nicer to me than those who didn't. Other members of staff would openly (and I'm not exaggerating!) display an arrogant attitude towards you, at which point you cannot help but smile.

There was a moment when I had to actually *persuade* a Spanish-speaking-only waitress to change my table-cover, after it was soiled by the previous customers. She already put the cutlery for me on the table....next to some unappetizing long, human hair. Only when I made a face full of disgust (I'm sure my facial expression, at that time, could transcend all cultures and languages), whilst pointing my finger at the long hair....then and only then did she quietly apologise and proceeded to change the table-cover with a new one. As if that were not enough, when they brought a bread-basket, and by some cruel twist of irony, there was another long, human hair lurking *under* the basket. I didn't make any scene out of it, though. I thought this whole thing is getting ridiculous: you just escape the sight of one hair, and there is another one brought right to your table.

Of course, this might have been a one-off incident. Maybe it would have never happened to me again, had I elected to visit that venue once more. If anything, this incident simply showed the staff's lack of attention to detail.

One thing which stuck in my mind in particular is the "crowd" that chooses to have breakfast there. You could tell they are regulars. And I, for one, didn't like that crowd. Too pretentious. You could spot people like that easily: people, waltzing into the restaurant, with that special gait and look on their faces. The waitresses smiling at them whilst opening the main door, as if they are long-awaited dignitaries, only to drop their smiles and resume their mundane tasks as soon as they start facing the customer's back. All this looked like a circus. Too superficial and laughable. I guess if you're a social scientist, writing a paper, you might enjoy observing that kind of thing for research purposes.

And, of course, the prices at "La Tiendecita" do not merit a visit to that place either. Seriously? Breakfast menu which is priced in such as way so as not to include coffee and orange juice? Who walks into "La Tiendecita", orders "lomo saltado" omelette for 26 soles, gets content with that, and leaves? No one. Most people will *also* order at least a cup of coffee (an Americano will cost you an additional 8 soles, and orange juice - 7 to 10 soles). Leave a tip, and say goodbye to a 50-soles bill. That's your breakfast cost (per person) at "La Tiendecita".
I wouldn't mind this if I were in New York or London. $25 USD is a reasonable price to pay in those far-away cities for quality breakfast. But Lima? Really?
Why should I pay 50 soles for breakfast at "La Tiendecita", when I can walk for 2-3 minutes down the road (down Larco Avenue), and turn into Kennedy Park, and then pay for a mighty breakfast in a much quieter and serene location 17 soles only? (That's right, I became a regular at "Cafe de La Paz", where I pay 17 soles to get my omelette with ham and cheese, which comes with a generous helping of toast and butter, AND coffee of your choice AND juice AND a helping of strawberry jam).
Compared to "Cafe de La Paz" those running "La Tiendecita" look like right outsiders (at least to me). I seriously don't know what planet they are on, when the service at "La Tiendecita" is abysmal, and the food is not of such a quality, so as to expel a loud "wow!", and forget what your name is!
For the reasons specified above, I am giving "La Tiendecita Blanca" two stars: I thought I would be unfair if I gave that place one star only (after all, "La Tiendecita's" food isn't bad at all), and I would be misleading other reviewers if I gave this venue three stars. Because this restaurant doesn't deserve it (at least in my opinion).

4  Thank Lukas999
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I think the title sums it up. I had heard good things about it here so excitedly went for dinner. I was greeted by a waitress who was rude and condescending who then proceeded to upsell everything on the menu. Ugh and uncomfortable to say the least.

I had one of the pastas with tomato sauce which was just sort of meh. It was weirdly sweet but bland. Dousing it in salt and pepper and cheese kind of helped add some kind of flavor but I could have made a better dish at home with sauce from a can.

So after all this the bill is thrown down on my table with the waitress informing me tip wasn't included. (was she mad I refused desert, who could blame me?)

I haven't had such an upleasant experience of both subpar food and not only bad (ie slow) service but rude as well!

I certainly felt resentful paying the bill which is significantly higher than other places probably because they're getting by on their reputation at this point, though from the looks of it things are sliding.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a very nice a cozy restaurant in front of parque Kennedy. The most important one in Miraflores district on Lima city. Ask for a red wine meat fondeau, exquisit! and for dessert! the chocolate fondeau is THE option. If you think is too much (The dishes are very big) Try the "Torta de Queso" Is not a simple chesse cake, is a "Torta de Queso"

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very good cafe/restaurant/bar, for any time....with a special dish for lunch each day of the week...The food quality has improved since last time.... few years ago.