“A Great Dining Experience”
Review of La Gloria

La Gloria
Ranked #91 of 2,556 Restaurants in Lima
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miraflores
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Had a wonderful business diner at La Gloria. My first trip to Peru and this was the first diner restaurant of the trip. It was so good that it is going to be a tough standard to beat. We started by sharing several appetizer. They were all ordered by my local host and all were very good and great presentation. For diner I had Corvina and it was prepared nicely.

• Visited August 2013

Mukilteo, Washington
“Go for the food, stay for the service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My companion would rave about the Pisco sour, but I'm here to say that it's hard enough to find a well made Old Fashioned in the states, let alone overseas, you know the bartender is first rate when they make as good a version of your favorite cocktail as you've ever had.
The wait-staff practically falls all over you, but in a professional and unobtrusive way that makes the meal run like clock-work.
The food was fabulous. I had duck con arroz, my companion had steak. the portions were large and the food was perfectly prepared, presented and timed. Our waiter was wonderful at explaining the menu and making subtle suggestions.
The atmosphere is very lively, crowded but not crowded feeling.
A lovely place to have a good meal.

• Visited August 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
“A Pleasing Experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I travel to Miraflores each year and always eat a minimum of one time at La Gloria. I give this restaurant a high rating as I have never been less than satisfied one time. That is difficult to do for a restaurant over several years. I suggest going 30 minutes before your reservation and enjoy a pisco sour in their bar. It is always the same bartender and he makes an excellent pisco sour. They have always been prompt with my seating but I go early as normally eat at 8. Just know the restaurant is small but I have never felt it is too crowded even though the tables are close.

The service is excellent and attentive. I have eaten fish and steaks and both have been good. The only drawback is what one earlier review stated. Their wine list does not match their food but we managed to find one Argentine Malbec and Cabernet that was to our liking. They used to have Montmayour wines from Argentina. The reserva is very nice but I didn't see it on the wine list during my last visit. Too many of their wines are in the average class. but might do this to keep the prices lower. The wines in most Latin restaurants are overpriced so I am used to it. Argentina is the only country, along with Panama, that have fair priced wines.

It is an expensive restaurant but I always return as I walk out feeling pleased.

• Visited November 2012
chico
“Marvelous food, great service, lovely bar”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We came across this little gem quite by accident as it was across from our hotel. Hotel staff made a reservation for us without a problem for that very night. We arrived before restaurant opened and sat in bar, which was absolutely lovely...quiet and beautiful....we felt nestled in. Had the best Pisco Sour of our trip (maybe more than one...) and a wonderful lesson on how they are perfectly made. There was a reason why those were the best of our trip...the bartender takes his time and makes mix by hand, and also shakes a lot....it was heavenly. Food and service was great. As previously reviewed, tables were close and restaurant was a bit loud, and waiters had to closely scoot around chairs and tables, but I thought that was wonderful and just added to the flair. Service was exceptional; staff was kind, attentive, and figured out our orders with our broken Spanish and their broken English. It was an absolutely lovely evening and I would highly recommend La Gloria.

• Visited June 2013
Barcelona, Spain
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Yes, it's worth visiting.
1- Booking. An earlier reviewer complaint about that. My booking was speedy and professionally handled. 10/10
2- Seating. Well, this is an area where they can certainly improve. My table was small and very close to others. Waiters often squeezed through between my table and the one behind.. However, table, cutlery, linens... were all outstanding. 7/10
3- Service. Very good indeed. Professional helpful, always ready but kept the distance. We asked to share all the dishes and they promptly suggested to make separate half portions. I'd go for a 9/10
4-Wine list. Hummm... They really should have a proper look. Overpriced and limited. In South America you old go for a South American wine, they were only 1 Tannat, 3 Carmenere and an handful of really expensive Malbec. Definitely ther weakest point. 5/10
5- Food. Outstanding. All four dishes we tried and two desserts had the "wow factor" Tuna Tartare, Ceviche a la Gloria, Tuna and suckling pig were just gorgeous. If I have to criticise something, perhaps salad wasn't the best side for tuna... Serving salad on a hot plate isn't a very good idea, however you soon forget when every mouthful of food you take makes you feel so bewildered. 9/10
6- Value... Well it isn't cheap nor it's too expensive. I'd say its appropriate for what you get, (forgetting the wine issue) a full three course meal with no wine will go or 50$ per person.

Yes, I'll be back