“Best pisco sour and Ceviche”
Review of La Mar

La Mar
Ranked #11 of 2,556 Restaurants in Lima
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miraflores
“Best pisco sour and Ceviche”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

This place is just a must if you are in Miraflores! Order the 5 kinds of ceviche, you won't be disappointed. A table next to us with 6 guys ordered a diablo fish and it looked really good! Make sure you have a reso or go before 12pm.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extraordinary.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Absolutely breathtaking experience. The only reason I have only visited 5 times is because I do not want to wear out the novelty of what I consider the best lunch in Lima, bar none. Has all the basics (ceviches, tiraditos, causas, pulpo, etc) plus always puts out a few innovations to sample. Must stop multiple times if you are planning culinary tourism in Lima. And all of this at very friendly prices. Extraordinary. A testament to Gastón Acurio's mastery. He deserves every award he has been given and more.

• Visited September 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“BEING CARRIED BY THE OWNER'S NAME”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Was not impressed.
An open place with close to 100 tables (a guess).
Very, very expensive and the quality of the food was nothing to write home about.
Started with Cebiche - I have had better quality at smaller places throughout Lima.
My wife had the rice with seafood - the seafood taste was so strong she could not eat it and she is Peruvian!
The Pisco's - poorest I have had in Lima.
Service - we had to ask a waiter to serve us - not once but twice.
Not worth it, Not worth it, Not worth it.
I do not usually give negative reports; I think this is only my second out of 41 now, but this one deserves the raspberry…..
And be prepared to clean out your wallet to eat here!!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Wayne154943
New York
“A bit of a hike to get to, but well worth it!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Visited La Mar upon a recommendation from our Fodor's Peru book, as well as a personal recommendation from a friend of a friend. It seemed a bit of a hike from where we were staying (near Larcomar), but the walk was not too bad. We noticed they offered valet parking and it seemed like a fancy place, but upon entering the restaurant we were comforted by the casual, modern decor and friendly, attentive service. There was a good crowd there for lunch, I believe it was a mix of local business folk as well as tourists. We managed to get seats at the bar with no waiting.

We were given complementary chips, corn kernel chips, and a selection of 3 dipping sauces to start. They had an extensive wine list, though I ended up just getting a glass of Chardonnay and my companion ordered a Cusqueña beer. To eat, we ordered ceviche in a creamy sauce (leche de tigre) that included calamari, octopus, and 2 kinds of fish--very reasonably priced at 40 soles. We also ordered a grilled octopus and squid plate (anticuchos) that was extremely tasty and came with buttery spiced potatoes. We actually enjoyed that more than the ceviche, which is funny because we came here specifically for ceviche. These 2 dishes were just enough for a light yet satisfying lunch, and a perfect introduction to Lima seafood!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank AlainAlighted
Pennsylvania
“Not impressed.”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Arrived there for lunch and was seated promptly. Ordered pisco sour to drink and ceviche and arroz con mariscos. The pisco sours were good. The main dishes cebiche and arroz con mariscos were ok, nothing really special. I have tried better at other places. I do consider this restaurant to be overpriced.
I asked the waiter to take a picture of my and my friend, he did. But he did not like it, you could tell by his face that he wanted to throw the camera at us. He was not happy about it, so bad because I was visiting Lima and wanted a memento with my friend.
I agree with another reviewer you pay for the reputation and the environment not for the food because it is not really special.

• Visited November 2013