“Great value in Miraflores”

Hostal Residencial El Faro Inn
Ranked #203 of 350 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is perfectly located; it is in a quiet area, two blocks from the ocean, a few blocks from a great supermarket and near many tourist destinations in Miraflores, at a great price.
There are 2 sections in this hotel. We stayed on both sides (on two separate trips) and found the rooms to be basic and comfortable. The newer side has larger rooms, but we preferred the older side. The rooms are smaller but you get a nice view from the large windows (see photos). We stayed on the 4th floor just one stairway from the upstairs outdoor lounge. I am very sensitive to noise, but did not have any problems during our 3 day stay.
We actually enjoyed this hotel because they have two outdoor areas where you can sit out with a glass of wine and relax.
I was surprised about all the negative comments by the other travelers, since I found the staff to be very helpful…a bit slow maybe, but this is due to the fact that they only have one person for luggage, kitchen and bar. Besides this is South America where things can be a bit slower. I do speak Spanish and perhaps this helped to get what we needed. They took and retrieved our luggage from the 4th floor, served us drinks in the little patio downstairs and in the lounge upstairs. The server even brought me an opener and a wine glass so I could enjoy the bottle of wine I purchased at the supermarket.
Yes, they asked us to wait while they checked the mini bar; I consider that to be a standard procedure for many hotels and did not bother me a bit.
Would I stay at the Faro Inn again? Absolutely!

P.S. Check the Altamar restaurant a few blocks from the hotel if you like fresh sea food...Excellent!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinava
There are newer reviews for Hostal Residencial El Faro Inn

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Very basic hotel - preferable to speak Spanish language - English very poor - phone call to my wife took several minutes of limited Spanish to even get to understanding point with hotel staff - then several attempts to find her and eventually put through to her room. Breakfasts are basic coffee, roll and jam, - but you have to chase staff to get it - starts at 7am but if you want at that time start chasing 15 mins earlier. Evening meals available, cooked on demand - our simple order required 45 mins to prepare - then later extended by a further 45 minutes as cook had run out of ingredients. Rooms OK but generally small. Staff found my bags heavy to carry up stairs, so I carried them - I am well over 60 years of age. OK to stay here if a simple overnight transit and cost is major factor, and you are not fussy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Room was okay but that's the only positive thing we can say. Breakfast took twenty minutes before they cleaned the previous diners' mess off our table, and another twenty minutes before we even received a drink. The breakfast food was pretty inadequate.

When we came to leave, they showed us a tiny mark on the (filthy) blanket from the bed and tried to argue that we had to pay for it to be cleaned. We pointed out that they are a hotel and should clean their bed linen anyway, not to mention the fact that whatever the mark was could have come off with a bit of water. They were very aggressive about this. We were not prepared to be bullied into paying extra, so we just walked away from the place.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wheresmyhatat
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place was ok until it was time to leave. But they ruined everything by demanding that we wait while they checked the fridge to see if we had taken anything. Do they even know what an "honor bar" is? I have traveled in more than 30 countries and have never seen anything like this. What an outrage. Intrepid should stop using them immediately.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of the Intrepid "inca trail and amazon" trip.

Rooms were large but basic. Breakfast was average and slow wi-fi was only available in the hotel lobby.

Staff not particularly friendly and insisted on checking the mini bar before we were allowed to check out. They applied this rule to other members of our tour group so they must mistrust all their guests.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed for one night on arrival in Lima. Staff was unfriendly and unhelpfu. Room was large and clean - but it smelled moldy (with a spray of deodorizer overtop)... bathroom was very large and clean -but no hot water at all. One positive is the hotel is close to the shore/walkways of Miraflores and only a few blocks from a supermarket/banks. Picked up some snacks/breakfast and spent some time enjoying the view from the seawall. I would recommend staying elsewhere in Miraflores though and give this one a miss.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights, arriving in the middle of the night. There are two parts to the building, one older and one newer. My room was in the older part of the building with a window into a light well (other rooms have windows looking out). Very small room and a tiny tiny bathroom with intermittent hot water. Also the bathroom had only an accordian door which may be a little cramped and have a lack of privacy if you are sharing the room. A little bit of a damp smell in the room. Wifi in the room that seemed to work quite well. Lock is only a push button in the door knob - as a single woman, I prefer a little more security. Someone else made arrangements for me - I would probably look elsewhere for my next trip through Lima. The room was just too cramped and I did not feel like spending any time in it.

The location is fairly residential and quiet, although it is not a long walk to get to other parts of Miraflores for restaurants etc.

Breakfast was good (eggs, bread rolls, fruit juice, coffee) - open the doors in the dining room and sit outside if the weather is pleasant. The rooftop deck is quite pleasant.

Room Tip: Get a room in the newer part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business