“Home atmosphere, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Casa Rodas II
Ranked #69 of 321 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Warsaw
“Home atmosphere, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed there with my husband for 5 nights. The price is great as for Lima. The hostel is located a 20-minute long walk from the main square of the district and about 25/30 from the ocean. There is a big street with the buses in majority of directions 5 minutes away (on that street there is also a mall so you can buy you own food).

The staff is really friendly (two elder ladies) but only Spanish-speaking. The rooms are very clean, so are the restrooms. There is hot water, wifi and a computer with Internet. The price includes tasty breakfast with fresh juice and scrambled eggs.

It has home atmosphere, good location and great price. Ask the landlady about an awsome restaurant nearby which serve fresh ceviche and other seafood, cheap and tasty (the name was "Bahia... " something, i don't remember well).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna_Peru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

Extremely clean and well looked after. Rooms cleaned daily (new towels etc). Perfect location with friendly staff .very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephen e
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here for a week while doing medical work in Peru with 12 other medical students. The hostel itself is pretty standard - a few rooms with several bunk beds, others with just one bed. Some rooms have TV's. There are 2 shared bathrooms, which are well maintained. However you have to time it well to have hot water - if you shower at the same time as someone else the water will probably be cold!

The location is good - close to a super market and the artist markets that sell traditional crafts, and it is a safe part of Lima.

Breakfast was good - bread with butter and jam, fresh juice, tea/coffee. Sometimes fried or hard boiled egg. The owner Ronal and the main worker Omar were great - they always gave great service, and went above and beyond to tell us about Peru, things we should do, and make sure we were safe and having a good time.

Overall I would highly recommend this as a good value for a clean hostel in a good location with hardworking staff!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank IsisDawn111
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

Very well localized, great staff (Richard is so kind and helpfull). The best place I stayed in Peru. Close to Plaza Vea supermarket and Larcomar shopping.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dfma
Santa Cruz, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

My girlfriend and I visited Lima as the first city in our world trip of several months. While I wouuldn't recommend Lima as a city (Peru has much nicer cities, and certainly less cloudy ones), I definetely recommend Casa Rodas 2. We stayed for several nights due to the Fiestas Patrias parade we wanted to see. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean. There was free wifi-internet (and a pc as well), the breakfast was included and we had great papaya shakes at our breakfast. The hostess Janine was very friendly and arranged and even picked up our bus tickets without charging any extra. She speaks spanish but is very patient and makes sure you understand it all! If you wanted a nice quiet place outside the hectic (and according to the guidebooks, dangerous) centre, you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JasperKamp
Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

My wife and I arrived in Lima to start a 40 day trip through South America. Not only were we looking for an affordable hotel, but also one where we could get some much needed rest. We actually stumbled on the Casa Rodas by chance, but were grateful we did since we were planning on spending more money at a hostel in the center. We found everything we wanted and more at Casa Rodas. We spent three nights there.

Here are some quick comments about the hotel:

The staff is sparse, only one person working at a time, but very friendly and helpful.

The hotel itself is kept neat and clean.

The location is a bit far from the center, 7.5 blocks, but therefore is in a much quieter part of town while only being 2.5 blocks from the main street, Arequipa.

At $20 for a matrimonial room, it was one of the best deals we knew of in Miraflores.

There is an affordable restaurant for lunch and dinner (at times hard to find in Miraflores) directly across the street. There is also a supermarket 2.5 blocks away on Arequipa.

The hotel has good, free breakfast.

You are allowed to use the washing machine as long as you buy your own detergent.

The hot shower is GREAT!!!

The rooms are simple but quiet. Almost every room, except the one we stayed in, has a televisions. There are single, matrimonial, and bunk-bed rooms.

There is free, consistent, 24-hour Internet.

They allowed us to store our bags there an extra day, as well as get a shower, before leaving for the airport in the evening.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 40diassud
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Just returned from Peru and stayed at Casa Rodas 4 times during the trip. It was recommended by another traveler and I made the reservations over e-mail. Rooms cost $10 per night per person and they will arrange airport transportation for you, but at a more expensive rate than if you do it yourself.

I stayed 1 night at the Tarapacá location (they have 2 locations) and was in a room consisting of one single bed and a set of bunk beds. There was a bathroom just down the hall and 3 more in the building, all of which were pretty clean. Breakfast the next day was coffee and bread with jam and was free.

The other times (4 nights over 3 stays) I stayed at the Petit Thouars location. One room I stayed in had a double and a single bed (could sleep 3), while another had 2 sets of bunk beds and a double bed (could sleep 6). At no time were strangers put in my room, but probably because I was with a group and we filled most of the beds.

Beds have somewhat hard mattresses but not too bad, but the pillows are horrible - I wish I had brought or bought my own. There are 2 bathrooms at the Petit Thouars location and no free breakfast. The floors were dirtier than those at Tarapacá (but not disgusting or anything) and there was not always someone working the desk, so getting in the door was sometimes difficult (one of the people that live there had to let me in). When I complained about this situation, I was given a key to use. They did store our extra luggage between trips so I could take only what I needed and leave behind the unnecessary items.

Location is good with a grocery store 2 blocks away and many restaurants nearby. They record-keeping/billing was bad as they did not have a paper system but instead went off of memory, which resulted in some people leaving without paying and then me being approached about covering their bill. The airport transportation was sketchy as well, with rates being higher than the Taxi Green service that the airport provides. A car setup by Casa Rodas cost S/. 65 and a van costs $10 or S/. 30 per person. A Taxi Green car costs S/. 50 and a van S/. 75, regardless of the amount of people.

Casa Rodas is a cheap, safe, no-frills hostel that reminded me of a college dorm. The management seemed a bit unorganized, so if you have any complaints, good luck. If you stay there I would recommend making your own airport transportation arrangements, or checking the rate they want to charge you and comparing it beforehand. But the location and price are good, so depending on your priorities it may be worth checking out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends