“Highly recommend for budget travellers”

Blue House Backpacker hostel
Blue House Backpacker hostel
Ranked #42 of 324 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Brisbane, Australia
“Highly recommend for budget travellers”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

When we arrived at the blue house hostel we thought this place was a little bit dodgy... Everything a little bit mismatching, the owner a little bit manic, but this is just Quique and one of the reasons we grew to love him. We were planning to stay 2 days and ended up staying over a month in a double room. All the shower heads were changed at the begining of our stay and the water was hot. We were waiting for our motorcycles to be ready for our road trip. If you are looking for a pristine and impersonal place this is not your hostel. If you are looking for a hostel with a heart, with travellers sharing theirs experiences, with other guests cooking for everyone and a real family atmosphere this is your place. Quique did EVERYTHING humanly possible to make our stay wonderful from preparing ceviche for us to letting us parking our motorbikes in the hostel... I also have to add that Quique's knowledge of the area and help was priceless.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karenfc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vancouver
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This place is LOVELY! Quinque and his wife were absolute gems. So friendly and helpful, treat you like family straight away. The kitchen was small but clean, the lounge area felt cozier than home, and the bright, plant-filled, airy breakfast area was delightful! If there was anything you neaded, Quinque was there for you in a second. Also hooked us up with discount taxi to the airport. I hope I get to go back and visit him some day, and recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Stayed in a bunk room one night when i was alone, and the couple's "suite" (large bed...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarassafras
Cartagena, Colombia
Reviewed March 25, 2012 via mobile

This place is very nice located Mira Flores etc. but the place it self is more than dirty. Don't be afraid of the kitchen it's running a way from you, cucarachas falling from the sealing on your face and a owner who is prommissing to fix your doorlocks, toilet, shower and serving breakfast at the same time. No more BHBPH

Stayed January 2012
1 Thank MAKPlanet

Travelers are raving about these Lima hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I hate to write this review because Quique, the owner, is so nice, but the hostel appears to be going through hard times. The photos online show a cheery, clean place, but when we arrived it was dingy, damp, and unkempt. The rooms we stayed in smelled bad, one like a sour mop and the other like something worse but unidentifiable. Hot water in our dorm's shower didn't work. Pillows and blankets smelled strongly of mildew. Mattresses felt like box springs. Breakfast was tea and a bag of bread with some margarine and jelly. This is typical fare in Peruvian hostels, but the difference here was that no one set it out nicely. Throughout the breakfast period dirty dishes were left on the table as guests passed through. No clean dishes were brought out and we had to search the kitchen shelves for them. Everything seemed neglected. I've stayed at 8 other inexpensive hostels in Lima; they were all more comfortable than this one. The main difference is that the staff at Bluehouse doesn't seem to have the energy to attend to cleanliness or presentation. A review from 2009 mentioned that the owner had expressed an interest in improving the place; I don't think that's really happened.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank PeruGirl_11
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Awful hostel, the owners were away and a friend was managing the place. I requested a female dorm but was told this was unavailable. I spent the night in a dorm room with one other person - the guy who was managing the hostel for his friends!! He was a total pervert, offering me massages - needless to say I never slep a wink all night!
The hostel was dirty, the bathroom disgusting and cold water - I checked out first thing the next morning and went to another hostel nearby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I feel compelled to re-post the review I originally made in hostelbookers.com, where most of it was deleted, except for the one positive comment I made...

My husband and I spent one night here. Upon arrival, the owner warned us that the shower in our en suite bathroom was in need of service. He explained that the water was warm, not hot, and that a repairman was coming in a few days. He said that if we needed to, we could always used the shared bathroom across the hall. He gave us a 10% discount for this inconvenience. Well, the next day at 6am, I went to the bathroom, stripped down and to my surprise - no water at all! I got dressed, gathered my belongings and dashed over to the shared bathroom. The bathroom was dirty and the water was lukewarm at best. I think I actually felt dirtier after having taken that sorry excuse for a shower.

No idea how the breakfast was, as we left early in the morning.

On a more positive note, I can say the the owner, Quique, seemed like a really nice guy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marginarg
U.S.A.
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We had an excellent experience staying at Blue House in Lima. The hostel is located near Park Kennedy and is close to the sightseeing and good restaurants. It is very safe and has a good mix of backpackers. The hostel recently expanded to the next block which offer apartments. We had a private room in the apartment and loved it. The owner is very friendly and helpful. He even let us have the room next day since our flight was at late night, so we didn't need to worry about check out time and luggage storage. Simple Breakfast is included, Internet is free. The car service at a low rate is another addition. We definitely would to stay there again and fully recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends