“Nice small hostel with great location!”

Barranco's Backpackers Inn
Barranco's Backpackers Inn
Ranked #52 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Reviewed January 24, 2014

BBI was the first hostel I stayed in for my trip to Lima - got picked up from the airport for S/50. I would have rather started my first few days in Lima in Miraflores, which is a bit more active and touristy, because it was a bit harder to meet people like myself (early 20's, solo travelling). Either way, it is right next to some great beaches, and is in an amazing small town that I wish I could have spent more time in.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Barranco's Backpackers Inn

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Theft of expensive electronic times by backpackers inn employee. The items were in a locked and secure area only accessible by employees. Great location, fun area but the loss of very expensive items that will take a long time to replace is inexcusable. Warning, stay elsewhere!!!!

Room Tip: This theft was blatant and premeditated. Stay elsewhere.
Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank M P
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I would highly recommend this hostel to anybody travelling through South America or visiting Lima. I stayed here with my friends while travelling in South America and I have to say it was one of the hostels that stands out from our entire trip. Right from our arrival to the hostel we were greeted by Chris, the owner, who went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and enjoyed our time in Lima. We were given a map and advice on where to eat, where was best for shopping and told the sights to visit. The breakfast was simple but delicious and there was plenty of books and magazines to read while having a cup of tea. The showers were hot and the rooms clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hostel was ok to spend a couple of nights in Lima, because the owner was nice and the location was good, being right next to the beach and restaurants in Barranco. We had an en suite bathroom which was good, but the room was very cold and the floor was not very clean (I had to wear flip flops in the bedroom or I would get black feet). There was a basic breakfast included of bread, jam, fruit, tea and coffee, which was nice. The owner was very helpful and we even booked our bus tickets to our next destination through the hostel. The hostel was quite expensive for what it was, so it wasn't the best value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Any bad review would be an inaccurate review. I enjoyed my stay here very much and even tho I've been there twice I'd go back anytime I'm in peru again and would suggest anyone do the same! Comfortable beds, hot showers, clean, friendly staff, and you're right beside the ocean! And barranco is the most beautiful, charming, little neighbourhood and in my opinion a better option then miraflores!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great place to stay, in a lovely chilled out area of Lima. Run by a Brit, there is everything you need here including a good breakfast, comfy rooms and friendly staff.

Not much more to say really... Rooms were very clean, as were the bathrooms, beds very comfortable, a really lovely crowd staying there (Not a party hostel, thank God!).

Recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. We had room number 6 at the top of the stairs, it's a big room with 2 single beds, a tv and 4 lockers. Simple wooden furniture, we think the floor was clean but it's a black vinyl and hard to tell. We wore flip flops just in case.
They had lots of hot water, our first after a week in the north of Colombia where there is none.
It's cheap, convenient and safe.
Also, they organised a taxi to pick us up from the airport at night which was great, nice driver, Lima airport is pretty crowded with dodgy taxi drivers so if you are arriving by plane we recommend you book the hostels taxi.
Unfortunately we never saw the mystical Chris to ask advice on local travel and our Spanish is not great and the ladies don't seem to be able to speak much English, our problem really. There was a very helpful and cheery lady on staff on Saturday night when we arrived and Sunday morning when we had breakfast, but the lady who took our money and was on staff Monday morning looked like she was chewing a wasp.
Note: Pillows are wafer thin, we asked her for an extra one and were told there are only enough for one per bed, so we folded up our jackets and put them under the wafer.

Room Tip: Rooms have hard floors so probably try and get a room on the top floor. It's a converted house s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple