“Fumigated our room while occupied... NOT ACCEPTABLE”

Casa De Huespedes Porta
Ranked #205 of 393 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When we checked in they never mentioned that they would fumigate that day...We went out for lunch and when we came back they just told me that they had fumigated the hotel and sorry for the inconveniences, that the gas was non-toxic. I implied that it had been done in the hallways and kitchen. Our big surprise was when we entered our room and it was a very thick cloud of poison. All of our things were in the room, we had a bunch of food, cereals, etc to take home from here. There was not ventilation or windows to the outside, so the cloud just stayed. Our bags still smell like poison... I guess now we now everything is sterilized :-)

They kept saying that the poison is natural... but a poison nevertheless... My wife and myself developed a headache and nausea from just being there a minute. One of the workers approached me and told me I was right to be upset, that he himself had a sore throat and burning eyes...

We just couldn't believe how could they think it was ok to fumigate a room that is occupied and with all our things inside.

They refused to refund our money to find another hotel but the only thing they could do for us is send us to the other hotel they owned around the corner... that had been also fumigated at the same time but at least they told us about it and we had to wait until the poison dissipated to go into the room...

Please try to find a poisonless room instead... Do not stay here, they seem to not have any understanding of what safety and poison means...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chacaruni

Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed a total of 4 nights, 2 at the start of our trip and 2 at the end and we did not like our room. Hot water was either scalding or freezing, the room and bathroom was very old and had no window except into an interior maintenance room. When I complained about what sounded like a beeping battery in a smoke detector, i was told it was next door and not much could be done. And they were unwilling to change our room. We heard that for 2 nights.

There was no laundry service available, which we really needed. Breakfast was only a couple of rolls. Staff was courteous but not particularly friendly. The location was decent and there was no street noise. But the walls were very thin and we could hear other travelers at all times of the day and night.

Unless you want a really cheap sleep, I would move on.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms before checking in.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lfodea
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Located well in this touristic area, short walk from main square and new mall, rooms are big but not the most modern in decor. A solid hostel style place.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Very Good hostal.
The room is really good and clean the bed is comfortable and the shower is good.
Just have to be careful because is a boiler, so it makes a really good shower but the hot water ends.
The locations is amazing, really in the center of Miraflores, 5 minutes walking from Lacomar mall,10 minutes walking from the main square of Miraflores and 8 minutes from the major casinos.
The breakfast is not really god just a bread with butter and a juice. Nothing else, I asked for some scrambled eggs and without no warning they wanted to change me 4 dollars for it. 4 dollars is an almost a full meal in Lima. I sent it back.

Bacal

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leandrobacal
Reviewed November 26, 2010

This was the loudest hotel I have ever stayed in. You can hear every conversation from every room nearby and from all the common areas. There was at least 3 kinds of mold in my shower and the hot water only lasts a few minutes.

Bring lots of cash because they only take Mastercard. No Visa or Amex. Even though you can secure your reservation with a Visa Card, they will not take it at the hotel. A little trick to get you to pay in cash. If you plan to bring a guest back to your room, even for a few minutes, they will rudely tell you that you have to pay an additional $10.

Breakfast was two rolls, coffee and juice. Nothing special. Pay a few extra dollars and find something more comfortable. I regret staying here.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank j20beach
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We paid $35 for a double bed and bathroom with shower.
It was fine except for a strong and nasty sewer smell in the room that I eventually traced to the shower drain. Pretty much fixed it by putting a shower over the drain.
We didn't report it to staff, but how could they not know?
Staff were nice, breakfast ok.
We used their airport transport service for $18 each way - very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I stayed in a single room and paid $30 a night. The room was pretty small, a little run down and the bathroom was tiny. No air conditioning either. This is not a traditional hotel, it's an old colonial house converted into a small hotel. The hallway outside was pretty noisy at times, I could hear everyone from the back of the hotel to the front desk. The staff was helpful, but spoke little english. The free breakfast was very minimal: 2 rolls w/ jam & butter, coffee, tea and juice. The free wifi range was very limited, and only works around the front desk. There was 1 computer for guests. The location is decent, very close to the beach and a short walk to the Larcomar & Parque De Kennedy. Not much else to do in Mira Flores- most of the sites are in central Lima. In general my stay was pretty good. I don't mind staying in small rooms, didn't need the ac, and I used earplugs when it got noisy. If you can tolerate these things because you're on a budget, than this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo