All reviews min walking water pressure in the shower few blocks the pacific ocean quiet area larcomar shopping centre hotel is located comfortable beds location is great miraflores peru proofing cab
Selected filters
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Location was the plus here. We could walk everywhere. Morning wait staff were rude and were more intent on eating their breakfast in the little kitchen than getting coffee out to guests. The breakfast was wonderbread, we don't eat that anymore in the US. The first desk manager we encountered was not helpful but the second one on duty was more than helpful. Rooms were shabby but clean. Not impressed at all.

Date of stay: October 2009
Reviewed October 16, 2009

This small hotel or if you prefer fancy B&B was got for us by the taxi driver coming from the airport.
A number of places were called on route as my friend wanted to stay in Miraflores rather than in centre which I wanted for museums, gallery, history etc. Anyway my friend won that debate. So we needed a place. Hotel El Ducado was available for one night basic B&B, the place was safe, secure, the room was large with 3 beds, internet was avaiable in the hallway, breakfast was no frills continental, the croissant was wonderful, the juice and coffee too. The hotel minded our bags while we walked around the seafront before departing Lima. At $80 for the room (2 of us) seemed a little steep. There is better value to be had - but I am not complaining as it was booked en-route from the airport and we only needed it for one night.

Date of stay: September 2008
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I stayed at this hotel at the start and end of my trip to Peru. After 11+ hours of traveling I wasn't sure what to expect behind the iron gate. I found an extremely helpful staff who were always willing to help me with my quesitons (and I had many). My room which was originally going to be for one night was quite small and sparse, however if you only are going to sleep for six hours, shower and go it was more than adequit. I ended up being there a couple extra nights due to a change in plans so it was a little snug, but I really enjoyed it. It was in the "front building".

On my return I was in the "back" building which had basically one bedroom apartments. I had a kitchen, living room, dinning room, bedroom with a king bed and a good sized bathroom. Comprable to many timeshares I've stayed in.

The breakfasts were traditional Peruvian. Coffee / tea, hard rolls with jelly or butter, and your choice of eggs. Not facny, but filling.

Date of stay: September 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2009

If you're not ultra selective and want a simple hotel to stay in Lima, than this is your place. It's one of those of those layover stay places....a basic hotel that will fulfill most of your needs before jumping on a plane to Cusco. Nice hotel, perhaps in need of a slight makeover. Service was a little slow, but at most time very accomendating. Not centrally located within Miraflores, but walking around wasn't a problem.

Date of stay: September 2009
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Don't be fooled by the web pictures shown on Expedia, etc. regarding El Ducado, Lima Peru. Yes there is a very sweet patio (prominently shown on hotel sites). Again it all depends what you are looking for.

Pros: location, location. It is located in Miraflores which has great safe night walking about 2 minutes in any location to the Pacific Ocean and cliffs. Park of Love is a nice walk, and Larco Mar - the western type restaurant/shopping centre with amazing views, is down the street. Also it's cheap per night, and located on a side street. Near a couple of casinos and cafes. Staff were kind and helpful, though wait staff at breakfast were unwelcoming in an indifferent sort of way.

Cons: the room we had faced the street. Car alarms going off all the time, the old fashioned ones with about 5 varying and hideous alarms in one. Also being on the first floor, every time the gated hotel clanged open to pick up/drop off passengers or otherwise leave at all hours, it slammed and jarred you awake. At times tour buses idled outside in the morning and if you open the window you are faced with a few dozen tourists idly gaping in your window while they dully wait to pick up other hotel guests.

Where to begin with the room. Not one picture on the wall. It was painted a drab colour with dirt. I was tempted to pull out a pen and lipstick and do some patterns to relieve the prison-like atmosphere. Or perhaps scratch the days a la an inmate. One was assaulted by the stench of mould which could be seen in the bathroom ceiling. No air or heat and in July in Lima at night, one needs heat, especially this July it seems. When we took a shower, the entire hotel room walls dripped with mist for several hours, despite opening all windows. The bedding was incessantly damp with mildew smell and the synthetic quilt was thin, drab and depressing. There's an internet - good luck trying to get on it as everyday someone different character/guest decided to spend many hours on it.

Unless you're ok with hostel arrangements, good with noise and/or are only spending a night en route to Machu Picchu, do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere. Best Western is just a few doors down (double the price per night though).

Date of stay: July 2009