“Not the best”
Review of Hotel El Ducado

Hotel El Ducado
Ranked #83 of 236 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Situated off the main drag but not a bad location.
The staff attitude left a lot to be desired and it seemed overall not a happy or enthusiastic place.
There was no bar facility but they did let you bring a drink in if you wanted to.
The breakfast was ok ish but quite limited to bread and jam.
Rooms were quite average.
There must be lots of better options to choose from in this city and you would not want to stop more than a night or two here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed in this hotel both the first and last night of our journey in Peru. The hotel has an excellent location: Jose Larco avenue with many banks and shops is just a one-minute walk away, it takes 5 minutes to walk to the Larcomar shopping mall with a large variety of restaurants and you can walk down to the beach in about ten minutes. The hotel is well secured with a gate that can only be opened from the inside, has a very nice interior courtyard with a terrace and has both wifi and a computer (both of which we used for hours without any problem). The staff were very helpful, providing us with extra blankets and with a very early breakfast when we had to get a bus earlier than the hotel's official breakfast time. They also helped us arrange a bus tour in Lima's old city centre for a decent price.

The problem with this hotel is the rooms. They were small and the furniture was old and dirty. There were no window frames, so that there was considerable space between the window glass and the wall. That was quite problematic as it was rather chilly when we were there (hence the extra blankets) and since the room we stayed in the first night was located right above the kitchen, a lot of noise came into the room as well. The room we stayed in when we returned had the same type of windows, but was at the streetside where it was not noisy at all. I would therefore recommend to ask for a room at the front of the building.

The bathrooms were pretty gross: everything we touched was sticky. The hotel is simply very old and used and needs a serious renovation in order to provide just a bit of comfort to its guests.

Room Tip: Rooms on the streetside are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rob v
Reviewed July 26, 2012

It has been a hectic day. First we got fumigated out of our hotel in the Hostal Porta ant then we got transferred here. The rooms were not that bad, but definitely not the quality for 80 dollars per night. We were sleeping and the alarm started to go off really loud starting 5 am. It kept going every 2 minutes.

Room Tip: get another hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chacaruni
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Definitely do not stay here! The rooms look much better in pics than in person. The rooms are very dirty and smell terrible!! They also charged for services i did not use. They charged me 80 dollars for 2 towels they say were too dirty to wash. The staff was constantly in my personal business. When i would bring my finance to the room they would harrass us and make us wait forever to go to the room. Later when my finance called my room they refused to transfer the call and told her i had another woman with me. I stayed there 2 nights and the rooms were never cleaned. I had to beg for towels. On check out the bill was alot more than their advertised price online. DONT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank CarlCounts
ElDucado, Manager at Hotel El Ducado, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

This review does not give a fair experience of our hotel. The guest showed up with a girlfriend who could not identify herself. Any guest in our hotel always must identify at checkin, and a copy of the document is made for security/administrative reasons. In this case the girlfriend had not any document, which gave problems at checkin.
Then during the stay they left two sets of sheets, and two towels with blood, which simply cannot be washed out, and is highly unhygienic to keep on using for other guests. We had to charge this damage, and we simply charge our costs for replacing them, our business is not to take advantage of damages caused by guests, but simply charge our cost to replace them.
Then the guest just left without paying, but as we saw him enter a hotel nearby we had to present him the bill in the other hotel, which he finally paid. He was charged exactly the rate as agreed on in the reservation, so the claim that we charged more, is unjustified.
A review of a guest who caused so much problems and damage, left without paying is not a good representation of Hotel El Ducado.
The majority of our guests enjoy a good stay, and enjoy the proximity to the main attractions of Miraflores.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed for one week and I found a nice courtyard, but the rooms looked better in the pictures of the web, and even knowing the category of this hotel I supposed it was going to be better. So if you don't find another place available you can stay here, but if you can, look for a better place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jlamoros
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed for 3 days, i choose this hotel only by its location and price, not bad at all... but reception staff never send me the driver to the airport.. so I took and paid for a taxi for myself, I complained to them when I arrived.. but they never asume its fault, they finally gave me free of charge the cab for my last day.. just because I pushed for my rights,
The staff of the restaurant and Housekeeping was ok, the rooms are suites and they have microwaves, kitchen, fridge; ideal for families, this hotel is close to the Avenida Larco and few blocks from LarcoMar.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mdager
Reviewed February 23, 2012

The rooms look old, they need to remodel and change the furniture.
Staff friendly, breakfast was ok not much choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family