“Nice interesting place”
Review of Second Home Peru

Second Home Peru
Ranked #2 of 316 Lima B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Small I believe there are only 5-6 rooms. We had one in the back of the building and came in at night from the airport and it was dark and cold, so my first impression was not great. The next day looking around the grounds it is a very pretty place and the location is great. Right on the ocean in Lima and in a quiet neighborhood. If you like B&B's you will enjoy this place. If you are looking for something with more variety i.e. walking distance to nearby places, this might not be your location. I typically dont like chain hotels so I choose this place. The chain hotels were in the heart of Lima also mostly on the coast. Interesting property but it was dark and cold at night. Lights were all out by 10pm so if a quiet get away is your thing this is a good place for that. I was there with a friend so we wanted more activity. There is no bar or restaurant so no place to hang out there in the evenings. Beds were hard as a rock so also if you prefer softer beds look elsewhere. Nice grounds and location so that was the benefits.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PattiHenry
There are newer reviews for Second Home Peru

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Second Home Peru is not for everyone ... if you need the fitness centre, room service and other amenities of a larger hotel, stay elsewhere. However, if you like the idea of a one-of-kind B&B/small hotel - architecturally interesting rooms (all different), among the best oceanside views available in Lima, a secluded estate property in a quiet neighbourhood away from the bustle of Miraflores (just a $5 cab ride away), a surreal amount of remarkable art and sculpture created by the insanely talented Victor Delfin (worth the price of admission alone), friendly caring service offered by Lilian and her staff - then you are in for a treat. (And even if you need those hotel amenities -- give them up for a few days and stay at Second Home anyway!)

Room Tip: I suspect all the Second Home rooms are terrific but ours was unusually special ... the first room i...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed four nights at Second Home Peru - two at the start of our trip and two at the end. Not enough. What a fabulous place! The first day we were there, we knew that because we didn't have a lot of time in Lima, we really should go out and sightsee, but I kept saying, "but we haven't seen everything here at the hotel yet!" Between the turn-of-the-last-century home, lovely grounds, ocean views, a variety of birds, and Victor Delfin's remarkable original sculptures, paintings and mixed media placed throughout, there is more than enough to occupy at least half a day.

Oh, and then there are the accommodations. When my husband, having arrived earlier in the day, met me at the airport, he told me the hotel was the nicest he had ever stayed in. Upon arriving, I had to agree. That was, I believe, the Mirador 2 room (the center one of the three new units carved into the cliff below the main house). Very high ceilings, the entire front of the room glass for unimpeded ocean views, a private balcony, and an overall feeling of exceptional stylishness. When we eagerly returned a couple of weeks later, we discovered that we'd been wrong - in fact there WAS a better hotel room, and now we were in it. I believe this room was Mirador 3 - the northernmost of the three modern rooms. This room was similar to the last except larger, with a bigger balcony, more windows, and a hammock. It also seemed a bit quieter - there are some clubs nearby that keep going very late on Fridays and Saturdays. But either room is fine as long as you have earplugs. Beds were very comfortable in both rooms.  Additionally, the staff was helpful, particularly the women who work in the morning. Breakfasts include fruit, bread, eggs cooked to order, and quinoa. We enjoyed chatting with Lilian Delfin, and we felt privileged that she made time to show us her father's studio and introduce us to him. The Barranco neighborhood where the lodging is located is lovely, a mix of expensive-looking modern construction, refurbished handsome old fine homes like the Second Home, and in between the two, crumbling abandoned yet romantic old mansions that one fears/knows will soon be making way for more of those sleek new buildings. Singing birds, lush flowers and crashing ocean waves finish the setting. Unless you prefer a typical/standard hotel, I recommend the memorable Second Home Peru 100 percent.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

WE were so surprised when we entered the gate to Second Home to see a lovely, stately house in the midst of a sculpture garden! The architecture and the art in this small hotel is really something to experience. Our room had a drop dead view of the ocean, was tastefuly frunished, and the bathroom modern. the breakfast was in an eat-in kitchen with a large hearth. Helpful staff. Nice walk in the neighborhood, a few blocks to the main square and cathedral of the district, and a few blocks to a great store of handicrafts and modern design home accessories, Dedalo. The reason I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that, unfortunately, there is a disco about 1/2 mile away; we were there on a Saturday night and I ended up putting ear plugs in my ears; I am a light sleeper; my husband slept like a baby. We were in the annex with the gorgeous view of the ocean ( and we did hear hear waves mixed in with the dico music); I believe that if you are in the main house you would not get the same level of noise, and that is where we would stay if we were going to Lima again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in the main building although the rooms in the annex are charming and have a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We only stayed here for two nights, but I wish I had stayed a lot longer. The house and grounds are absolutely beautiful - right on a cliff overlooking the beach, gorgeous furnishings, very unique and tranquil. We had the pleasure of meeting Victor Delfin and touring his art studio while we were there. His studio is right on the property, so do not miss this if you have the opportunity. His sculptures and paintings are also scattered around the property and really add something special to the experience. You are literally staying in an amazing art gallery when you stay in this B&B. The location is on a quiet street, but within walking distance of everything in Barranco. We enjoyed chatting with Lilian Delfin at breakfast, and the breakfasts were some of the best I had on my entire trip to Peru! This place is truly a gem, I feel so lucky to have found it!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My friend and I stayed here our last 2 nights in Peru. It felt like a luxurious treat after a week of trekking and traveling. Lilian, the owner, was so nice and accommodating. We arrived a couple hours earlier and she made us eggs, served us coffee, and chatted with us about where we went during our vacation as we waited for our room to be prepared. She's a great conversationalist as well, and has many interesting stories to tell you. The house is absolutely gorgeous, and the view is even better. The room we had was perched on the edge of the land, over-looking the Pacific ocean. The windows were from floor to ceiling, and there was a small balcony. We walked to Miraflores for dinner and drinks, and the taxi back was cheap. Late night attendants were so nice and arranged for a taxi to the airport when we left. Comfortable, peaceful, inviting, everything you want your Second Home to be!

Room Tip: Just ask for a room over-looking the ocean!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Arriving late afternoon in Lima with no room booked, I ended up in Second Home, quite by haphazard. Immediately, looking at the space,I knew I'll live something different. The house and the surrounding are just incredible, you feel that an old soul is breathing here. The room and the staff are just great. I had the chance to visit the workshop of the sculptor that live there.

Breakfast in the "family" kitchen will remain one of the great moment of my stay in that city.

Great persons to meet, great memories, amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: The room I got (2nd floor with Terrase and bath) was just great. No ideas about the other rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo