“Cab Driver Said to Get out of the car on the Hotel Side”

San Agustin Riviera Hotel
Ranked #157 of 232 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We chose this hotel on the recommendation of a travel agency as it was supposedly close to the airport. We were only looking for a place to spend the night enroute to Cuzco but after a 42 dollar cab ride (non negotiable), we made it to the hotel. The driver told us to get out of the car on the Hotel Side..... Though the staff was friendly, the hotel did not meet our expectations. The room was hot and stuffy and the window opened on to a busy, noisy street. Not a good area to stay in at all, with prostitutes lining the street across from the hotel and the room being only bare bones. I don't know why you would stay here for any length of time. As it was were were here for barely 8 hours while awaiting our next flight.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank William H

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The website for the hotel said there was shuttle service, but that you needed to arrange for it 24 hours in advance. I called and left message after message 3 days prior to arrival up until my arrival date. When I landed at the airport it was obvious there would be no shuttle service. Since no one at the hotel would answer the phone, I had to decide if I wanted to just spend the night in the airport and wait for my early flight, or catch a cab to the hotel. I was tired and opted for a bed in a nice three and a half star hotel, which I had already paid for.

Catching a cab proved to be a bigger challenge than I thought. It turns out most cab drivers wont drive to that part of town at night. Once I found a driver on the outside of the airport who was willing to take me to the San Augistin for a small fortune, I discovered why it was such a challenge to get a ride. The historic Spanish colonial buildings were all but boarded up at night and the lonely streets were home to the homeless and the strays. When we arrived to the hotel the Cab driver pulled up to the empty looking building with dark windows and pulled my luggage from the trunk. I pulled open the front doors to the hotel lobby only to discover they had been secured shut with large chains and a wood plank on the opposite side. A professional looking man appeared from the shadows of the vacant lobby and unwrapped the chains and removed the wood block that kept the building secure.

The lobby was dated and dark but clean. The nice lady behind the desk pulled my registration information and provided me with a hard key she pulled from a wall of boxes like they would do in an old-time movie. My room was on an upper floor, so I took the rickety elevator. The elevator was most likely original to the rest of the building; it was old and I had a sense that it was unreliable, but I was paranoid from the moment I got to the hotel. The elevator safely climbed the floors as the numbers lit up one after another until arriving at my floor; with an echoing DING the elevator doors opened and I entered a long tiled hall. My 3.5 star room was at the end of the hall and I had no idea what to expect. The reverberations of my footsteps followed me down the long lonely corridor to an open door with same room number found on my registration. The door was left open about 4 inches and behind that 4 inch gap was total darkness. I slid my hand along the wall to feel for a light switch which wasn't in an obvious location forcing me to enter the unsecured dark room with all the caution of a samurai warrior. My fist were tightly clinched and ready to strike as I followed the wall feeling for a light switch or lamp, or TV, or anything that could shed some light. I made my way to the bed table and turned on the lamp which revealed my 3.5 star guest-room! The AC was nothing more than a box fan, the TV was a rectangle cube nearly as old as me and 7 times my age in TV years. The beds were twins and the bedding was sketchy but on closer inspection, the sheets were of a high quality and well laundered with the exception of a possible tiny blood stain on one and a cigarette burn on the coverlet. I continued to inspect the room to ensure I was alone and then did my regular critter inspection. The inspection is routine for me but this one was in-depth and I can conclusively say the bed was free of bugs and the sheets were well laundered. I continued on to the bathroom, the tiles were dated, but clean, the fixtures were so historic they were nearly cool again; nevertheless, the 3.5 star standard amenities were absent.

The room was hot and the box fan was dressed in dust, so I opted to open the windows rather than use the amazing cooling device. I clicked on the TV and uncomfortably settled into the bed as I watched late night American TV with the distractions of the barking stray dogs which surround the hotel at night.

I awoke from a night of broken sleep with a sigh of relief that I had only booked the room for one night. I enjoyed a hot shower with plenty of pressure and quickly got ready. I made my way to the lobby where the helpful staff hailed me a taxi and I made my way to the airport confident I would never use an opaque booking site in Lima ever again.

This hotel would never meet the minimum qualifications of any of the 3.5 star hotel brands used as examples when describing the potential hotel. Buyer beware!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Blake C
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We arrived at midnight to this hotel to be greeted opposite the front entrance with "ladies of the night"! And it only got worse from here! We were greeted by friendly reception staff who informed us to not walk around the adjoining streets after 6pm!!! The hotel is situated only a block from central Lima which is a lovely historical region, we were just not in a good location to it! The reception area is old and dingy and dining room was appalling. We had free breakfast included in the rate which was atrocious. The selection was minimal with stale bread and cereal and cold eggs due to no heater below the bay Marie, and the staff seemed to enjoy eating the breakfast more than the guests! Our room was on the 12th floor but right beside the elevator which was a nightmare for noise, this along with the constant street noise of sirens, whistles and horns (windows not double glazed) and the paper thin curtains which let all light in led to a very unenjoyable stay. The bed wasn't too bad but the sheets didn't fit therefore were short sheeted!!! Internet in the room was a joke, we had to stand right at the door to get coverage and the air conditioning came on when ever it felt like it!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay near the elevator
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tassie7
Reviewed November 24, 2012

the room was fine at this hotel, the staff were less than helpful. The lobby has a most peculiar smell and there are hookers on the opposite side of the street. Breakfast was reasonable but much better at the San Augustin in Cusco which is where we stayed next.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pendene
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Hotel situeted in a very bad and dangerous area.
First night i found insect in the room.To apologie the management offered me a free dinner to the restaurant.I whish i never accepted it.The meal i was served was for sure the worse i ever seen in my life and i had to send it back. I also had to leave the wine because was ossidate.The waiter did'nt even bother to ask me if there was something wrong with it (I thing he was in the hurry to go home and it was only 9 o'clock). No wonder the restaurant had no customers.
The day of my departure when I was actually leaving the hotel the recepnionist called me and told me that there was a bill from the restaurant to be paid. I told her that that dinner (if you want to call it so) had been offered by the hotel. She phoned the manager and than she said to me that I was only offered the food but not the wine. I was really enbaresed and I had to pay 50 soles (about 22 dollars) for a bottle of a supermarket style Argentinian ossidate white wine. I felt like they grabbed the last money they could.
Do you want my sancere opinion? STAY AWAY! Look instead in the Miraflores area if You want to go to Lima.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank carmelima_calzolari
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We arrived to the hotel around 1030pm at night... the reception clerk was nice and offered us 1 welcome drink even though there was two people. They told us the dining closed at 11pm so we went to grab some food and our welcome pisco sour drink only to be greeted by a nasty ill tempered dining staff. Actually we weren't even greeted, she came over and snatched the welcome drink card from us without a word. We got our own menus and after 15 minutes we went to see if we can order food, she told us there was no more pisco sour drinks. Nevertheless we left and went to a local chicken chain next door. Front desk told us not to wander around too much since it wasn't too safe. The rooms were ordinary... could've been nicer for the establishment they represent. During our stay there was also a bunch of school children from a high school team or something staying at the hotel also. Let's just say the morning breakfast was fend for yourself... with empty bowls of food at the breakfast buffet. The area during the day was fine with beautiful architectural buildings and cute shops. Don't let the hotel order a taxi to the airport for you... they charge 50/s and they kept insisting. Ripoff... we got a cab off the street for 30/s and it was perfectly fine.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank lwtomcat
Reviewed July 26, 2009

After reading the reviews, we expected the worse. BUT we were pleasantly surprised. Downtown Lima is not safe at night but during the day, it is safe...really fun to mingle with the locals, eat & shop where the locals do. The closeness of this hotel to the historical part of downtown was great too. The hotel itself is a little dated but clean. We got upgraded to a suite, two unexpected welcome drinks (Pisco Sour!), comp. fruit basket & 2 bottled water. Breakfast was so-so but so were the b'fast in the Miraflores area hotels where we also stayed at. The staff were very helpful. All in all, great bang for our bucks. They also offer "day room" rate (check out 7PM) if you're catching a late international night flight out. BTW....also free internet.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple