“Punctual, safe, friendly...”

Discovering Peru
Ranked #30 of 236 Tours in Lima
“Punctual, safe, friendly...”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Between flights, my wife and I had 5 hours in Lima so we decided to take a quick tour with Discovering Peru to know the city while we could. The agency responded all my emails quickly and the payment of the reservation was easy. At the airport they were right on time and had a very comfortable car waiting outside. Liliana, the tour guide and Alex, the driver, were friendly and nice. Alex was quiet. She had her presentation clear and smiled all the time. We stopped at some historical plazas to take pictures and even though I was carrying an expensive camera, somehow I felt safe to use it. There is a fountain at Plaza Mayor which apparently is filled with Pisco once during july to celebrate a national holiday. Got to go! The catacombs at Monastery of San Francisco were interesting too. Miraflores has a nice park called Parque del Amor with beautiful surroundings and gardens, and a shopping center called Larcomar with a spectacular view to the sea.
Unfortunately the ATM machines couldn't read one of our debit cards (the one that had the money of course) so we had some serious trouble since we were short on money, hungry and exhausted. Luckily we found free short internet access at Larcomar and were able to plead for help to our family. I was a bit worried because we were left alone at the mall for one hour, after paying the tour and I was already asking myself if the driver would show up! But he did, drove us back to the airport and even bought us some Olé Olé chocolates at a stopping light. It was a very kind gesture.

We are sorry we couldn't give you any tip Liliana and Alex. This review is the very least we can do. Thanks for your time and words. We had a good time!

Visited April 2014

Quito, Ecuador
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Tour guided in Lima”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The tour was good! Lima has many different things to do but I guess that one full day was not the best option anyway the guide was friendly and punctual to pick up us in the airport and she explained everything.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jorge S
Sao Paulo, SP
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My ultimate guide to Lima”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Going to Lima for the first time? This is my 2 cents contribution:

Starting with the basics:
1. Taxis: There is no such a thing as a taximeter on the taxis in Peru, you basically have to negotiate the fare with the taxi driver, so ask to the Hotel's concierge how much it will cost before you take the trip to somewhere - and negotiate the fare with the driver before you get in the cab. Also, as any place in the world... rely on taxis suggested by the hotel or restaurant... taxis in Peru is pretty cheap anyway...
2. Currency – Exchange at the Hotel or Airport (bad rates, I know). Know that restaurants, hotel and pretty much everywhere else accepts US dollars normally, but its better if you can pay with USD and get Nuevos Soles back, so you don`t get false USD bills.

Places to go in LIMA:

Museums: Don't have been to many, but the Museo Oro (Museum of Gold) is very nice and if you like ancient art (Inca and Pre-Inca), you must visit Museo Larco - there are huge amounts of pieces to see, and the place itself is very nice to visit.
Landmarks: If you like downtown, go to Plaza de Armas, it’s nice to walk and take pictures of the time of the Spanish colonization. The first time I was there, I went to the Sao Francisco Church where you can visit the Catacumbas – it’s kind of scary – but well, I was young and I was amazed.
Miraflores: The tourist neighborhood. Ask the cab driver to take you to the Love Park (El Parque del Amor) and you can start walking from there. There are plenty of stores, restaurants, etc. But go during the day to enjoy the ocean view.
Circuto de Playas: Nice sightseen too. Ask the driver to take you to the Bridge of Sighs (Puente de los Suspiros) and walk from there.

Shopping:
1. You´ll probably want to buy handcraft/folk art (artesanías), so you can go to the Mercado Inka (in Miraflores) – it’s basically for tourist, but you´ll find thousands of things.
2. The Peruvian cotton and wool are the best in the world, and buying there is very cheap – Peru extracts wool from llama and alpaca (which is a kind of llama) - the best is from the Alpaca, and even better if is from a “baby” alpaca witch is softest and more expensive - the best store (for me) is KUNA by ALPACA (www.kuna.com.pe) – but there are plenty of locations.
3. Gold and silver are cheap too – and also you can find lots of gems made jewelry
3. There are of course big shopping Malls, with brand stores and etc… you can find Peru stuff there, but not much. There is a Mall in Miraflores called LARCOMAR (http://www.larcomar.com/) that pays the visit. The place itself have an amazing view, go in the afternoon, before the sunset, do some shopping and find a restaurant with a view to the ocean! Superb.

Restaurants:
If you like fish and sea food… Peru is the place to go. My restaurants choices:
1. Astrid & Gastón – absolutely fantastic. Make reservations in advance. I didn’t, but I went alone and sit by the bar - the menu is the same. Ask for the cebiche trio (sampler) and the coquilles Saint-Jacques if they are still on the menu. And of course drink something with Pisco.
2. Cebicheria La Mar – opens only for lunch. Ask for cebiches (of course) and you should try causas – I like a lot – which are made of seasoned smashed potato. You may also want to try the anticuchos (kind of kebabs).
3. Pescados Capitales – Also for seafood. Try the shellfish or octopus. And again, the causas are fantastic there.
4. La Rosa Náutica – In the past (like 10-15 yrs ago), was the only choice when you try to find a nice dinner in Lima, I didn`t go there last time, but I heard it’s a little bit old fashion. But the view is incredible, the restaurant was built over a pier and therefore is literally over the sea – which makes the view incredible at night.

TIPS: If you want to eat/drink something different – drink Inka Cola – a local yellow soda - or try chicha morada – made from a purple corn – very refreshing. I personally like a fruit called chirimoya, which makes incredible deserts. If you like hot, try aji de gallina, nothing special, but very well know locally. Like beer? Go for Cusqueña, Cristal or Arequipeña. Never come back without trying pisco sour – the famous local drink. And I almost forgot: Coca Tea! It’s nice, I always bring some when I travel. You’ll find coca tea everywhere (in bags) but only restaurants can use the raw coca leaf to prepare the genuine tea. Ask for a teapot at the end of your dinner.

Other:
If you can't afford or haven't time to go to Cusco/Machu Picchu: Visit the archeological site called Pachacámac – google it to know a little bit more. Its 40km south of Lima - Try to negotiate with a travel company or with a taxi driver.
There are 2 other archeological sites in the city of Lime, but I never been there.
At night, you can go to Barranco, which is a neighborhood with lots of pubs.

So, relax and enjoy your trip to this beautiful location. Even if you try everything that I suggest I bet you'll love to come back. I did it for six times!

Visited May 2013
5 Thank E_Marques
“Lime, Cusco, Machu Picchu”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I can not speak more highly of Perutourism and Condor Tours. Recetly returned from a trip which included Lima, Cusco, a hotel at the Sacred Vally and Machu Picchu. The tiour were all conducted by Condor tours and were all exceptional. Tour guides all spoke English which worked for me since I did not speak very much spanish. All events came off exactly as planned. Condor tours even had to change our original agenda due to a difficult time we had adjusting to the altitude at Cusco. This could not have been handled better. All medical expenses were covered by the insurance card provided by Perutourism/Condor tours and special transportation was arranged to have us rejoin with the original trip schedule. Machu Picchu was as spectacular as I expected. I can understand why it is on the new list of new 7 wonders of the world! All in all a wonderful trip!

Visited April 2014
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“SAFE AND GREAT”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

It was one of the set places to visit in Peru. There are so many travel agents to help with exploring Peru. There are also tourist police who ensured everyone was safe. Would definitely return. The beach is close and it was just amazing. The locals are super friendly and honestly made my trip.

Visited February 2014