“Totally innovative culinary treat”
Review of Amaz Restaurante

Amaz Restaurante
Ranked #35 of 2,924 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miraflores
Reviewed April 22, 2013

From the cocktails to the food, everything is a surprise in this unusual restaurant. The flavours are all slightly different to what you expect, with ingredients from the Amazon, unusual fish and spices, and intriguing design. I went there twice, both times experiencing very good service, and the prices were reasonable for a restuarant of this quality and location.

2  Thank Hugh S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I dined at Amaz on Thursday April 18 while staying in Lima for a golf tournament my husband was playing in. This was our third visit to Peru and as a true foodie I do a lot of research on the new restaurants where we dine during our stays. I had been to the Amazon in 2012 and was happy to see the chef of Malabar had opened Amaz which focused on the Amazonian products with a modern twist in a more casual environment. We had a reservation and when we arrived we were shown to a table in the front. After reading the reviews I knew immediately to ask for a table in the back room and we were quickly shown to a wonderful table in a back booth with a nice view over the entire restaurant. We were greated by our server Frederico who spoke very good English. He offered to assist us in making our selections. He chose many dishes in the half portion size which were still very generous for two to share. We wanted a tapas style meal so we could try many different things. We had a shrimp dish, a fish wrapped in a banana leaf, a pork dish and their version of lomo Salgado with bananas instead of potatoes. Each and every item were special and flavorful with the exception of the Shrimp which were bland and a bit overcooked. . We enjoyed pisco cocktails (a sour for my hubby and I had one with Campari that was very good) followed by a nice bottle of wine. The prices were fair for the portions and quality. We would return on our next visit without hesitation.

1  Thank Stephanie A
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were in a hurry (Fashion Week and all) and they not only opened the doors for us early, but our waiter volunteered to order for us after we described what we liked, just to get us our food quickly. GREAT Amazon food!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Live in san francisco and eaten at the best restuarants there. Been to Peru many times as my wife is Peruvian and experienced all the best restaurants there as well. We are not foodies but we love good food and atmosphere. this was our first visit to amaz and will not be our last. This was the best dining experience we have ever had. The food was unique and tremendously tasty. The service was attentive but not overwhelming. Luis gave us perfect suggestions. It was a relaxed environment that all could enjoy. Honestly I dont know if dining can be better. This is a must visit whether you are a foody or just want to enjoy amazing experience.

1  Thank Paulewood
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Amaz is more traditional jungle cuisine than Malabar and less formal/haut cuisine and the chef has chosen to have the staff emphasize family style dining. I think that is fine with food like Chinese where all the flavors are similar but Amaz is so good you might not want to share your food or it might result in odd food pairings due to all the varied flavors of fish pork chicken etc. The staff are amazing, very attentive, fluently bilingual, and the camu camu sours are a must try. I loved the apple banana appetizer stuffed with paiche and cheese, as did all my friends, it was gone in like 2 minutes. The Cecina with plantains was better than anything I've had in Iquitos as were all the desserts. A great choice if you are in Lima/Cusco on vacation and not able to go to Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado to try the local cooking of the Amazon region.

1  Thank Aegir101