“Middle of the road” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flying Dog Backpackers Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Flying Dog Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #75 of 323 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Melbourne, Australia
“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The important thing to note is that this backpackers is located in the safest part of Lima for international travelers.

There's nothing special about this hostel. It's not the cleanest, or the prettiest, or the newest.

However, the staff are very sweet and informative. The location is quite nice. All of the basic necessities are available. There are helpful travel agents who will help you book trips. We booked our Macchu Picchu trip there...and everything ran smoothly.

My husband and I shared a private room with a private bath. It was clean enough and relatively spacious for a private hostel room. It had a big window with a view of the park. It had a TV, which was clutch for my husband the day he got sick.

All in all, average. Nothing to complain about, and nothing to jump for joy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the Flying Dog in Miraflores for several nights, both at the Diez Consecos location and the Mártir Olaya 280 location. Both were great experiences, I was especially impressed with the staff of the front desk who were not only helpful, but went out of their way to make me feel at home, from asking about my day and experiences to helping me make travel arrangements. I met some amazing like-minded travelers with interesting stories. The kitchen was useful to prepare food and I saw people would often gather to cook and eat together. I stayed in a single private room with my own bathroom as well as a 6-bed dorm. Beds were clean and comfortable, extra blankets always available, water hot and plentiful, internet fast, and slept great each night. The breakfasts included at the cafes in the beautiful Miraflores Park were delicious as well. If I travel to Peru again, Flying Dog will be my home away from home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Having stayed in the Arequipa Flying Dog which I thought was great I was very disappointed by this one. I didn't feel particularly safe (even though my partner had the bunk above me)- partly down to a strange guy in the dorm but even so- the showers were mixed sex and only had a plastic curtain for privacy which I don't think is acceptable. I did complain about the guy to the staff who spoke to him (he obviously denied any problem). It was slightly less clean than I would like. The bar is good, the staff are great but I barely slept and left the following day. From the sound of it the tour agency is good. The kitchen was adequate and relatively clean and there was a large common area. It is very popular- there was no space in any of the private rooms or the other sister hostels.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Lima hotels

Lodz, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hostel is OK. We stayed in a 4 person room which was basic and kind of loud in the night (but we slept well nevertheless). The dorms looked worn out. Same goes for bathrooms - they are OK, but this is a South American, not European or US kind of standard. Main flaw for us - WiFi signal was only in the reception area.There is a pleasant bar with pool table and TV. Breakfasts are served in a neraby cafe and are good. The location, apart from the noise, is excellent right in the middle of Miraflores and a nice and vibrant Parque Kennedy.
In general - not a beautiful place, but a reasonably priced option in good location for exploring the city.

Room Tip: dorms looked bad, opt for privates
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the Flying Dog (next to Starbucks - Martir Olaya) for somewhere in the region of 45 days on and off. What a waste of a trip you might say, but it was an excellent base while I travelled back and forth as well as waiting for various paperwork to arrive when I bought a motorbike.

Miraflores is the up market district of Lima, so prices are hardly going to be cheap (Peru is surprising expensive by comparison to Ecuador given the generally poor infrastructure and crappy quality of most things). The Flying Dog is probably the cheapest hostel going (NS30 pppn in a dorm, cafe breakfast included). The hostel is not all that much different from thousands of others all over the world. The basics are basic - average beds, decent showers, large garden, pool table, bar etc. There are two kitchens allowing for a little less congestion at meal times. A very large and secure storage room as well as enough common rooms to keep everyone happy. WiFi here, as with most of Peru is incredibly poor. I have yet to establish how or why the country has such rubbish internet, but there is no improvement in Miraflores even. The Parque Kennedy has free WiFi, but this is beyond useless. The Starbucks next door is only marginally better than the hostel.

This particular hostel (there are 3 Flying Dogs around Parque Kennedy), is not a ‘party hostel’. Many of the travelers tend to stay here for a week+ while recovering from travelling or getting ready to do so. As a guest here, you can quite freely visit the hostel across the park which has a much better bar set.

What sets this hostel apart from the many I have stayed in is the staff. I was able to use the hostel as a home, having mail delivered, motorbike registered there etc. The staff went out of their way to help with pretty much anything I needed. New clothes - I was taken by one of the staff on her only day off to go shopping, just so that I could go and get the best prices. During the rather complicated process of buying a new motorbike in Peru, I came to the end of my tether (and Spanish capacity). No problem, one of the staff walked the few miles to the bike shop with me to clarify everything for me. Need my hair cut, the staff take me to the hair dressers, tell them what I want and negotiate a price for me. When I left the hostel for 6 weeks to travel elsewhere, they even covered up my motorbike to stop it from getting dirty. When I needed to make sudden changes to my itinerary (I was in the north east of Peru rather than at the hostel), I emailed them and had them look for the cheapest flights available. Even though I was not going to use the travel agency on site, they were happy to do the leg work for me - for nothing! I could go on, but I think that is more than enough of a demonstration of how good the staff are. Particular thanks to Melissa, Joey (Manager) and Leo for all the help you imparted during my stay.

Miraflores...

It must be noted that Miraflores is a hotbed for petty criminals. In the time I was there, many tourists had cash or other valuables stolen from their hostels, in the park or local shops (pay particular attention in Starbucks despite the security guards). I personally had a laptop and other bits and pieces stolen from the hostel by local criminals who managed to walk in and out picking up anything on display. You really need to lock your gear up at all times, even if you are only planning to be a few seconds away from your gear. Parque Kennedy would be a decent place to relax in the shade, but it is rife with brazen drug peddlers and con artists. Lima is the only place in South America I have felt the need to ignore and/or proactively remove said individuals from harassing me.

Room Tip: If staying in the dorms, ask for the one nearest the bar (it is not noisy). This is the safest of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a night and enjoyed the hostel. It has a nice outdoor area and good facilities. But being right on the main street, the noise from traffic and then from noisy people on the street was tough to bear. I was woken up more than once to rowdy kids on the street at 4am. Overall nice place.

• Stayed May 2013
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I don't normally stay in hostels, but this time my friend convinced me too and i had an amazing time! This hostel has great service, a full bar, commons area, kitchen, warm water. Everything you need! It was very safe and in a perfect part of the city!

Room Tip: I stayed in the mixed dorm and met a lot of cool people.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends