“Great service”

Flying Dog Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #57 of 366 Specialty Lodging in Lima
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the Flying Dog (next to Starbucks - Martir Olaya) for somewhere in the region of 45 days on and off. What a waste of a trip you might say, but it was an excellent base while I travelled back and forth as well as waiting for various paperwork to arrive when I bought a motorbike.

Miraflores is the up market district of Lima, so prices are hardly going to be cheap (Peru is surprising expensive by comparison to Ecuador given the generally poor infrastructure and crappy quality of most things). The Flying Dog is probably the cheapest hostel going (NS30 pppn in a dorm, cafe breakfast included). The hostel is not all that much different from thousands of others all over the world. The basics are basic - average beds, decent showers, large garden, pool table, bar etc. There are two kitchens allowing for a little less congestion at meal times. A very large and secure storage room as well as enough common rooms to keep everyone happy. WiFi here, as with most of Peru is incredibly poor. I have yet to establish how or why the country has such rubbish internet, but there is no improvement in Miraflores even. The Parque Kennedy has free WiFi, but this is beyond useless. The Starbucks next door is only marginally better than the hostel.

This particular hostel (there are 3 Flying Dogs around Parque Kennedy), is not a ‘party hostel’. Many of the travelers tend to stay here for a week+ while recovering from travelling or getting ready to do so. As a guest here, you can quite freely visit the hostel across the park which has a much better bar set.

What sets this hostel apart from the many I have stayed in is the staff. I was able to use the hostel as a home, having mail delivered, motorbike registered there etc. The staff went out of their way to help with pretty much anything I needed. New clothes - I was taken by one of the staff on her only day off to go shopping, just so that I could go and get the best prices. During the rather complicated process of buying a new motorbike in Peru, I came to the end of my tether (and Spanish capacity). No problem, one of the staff walked the few miles to the bike shop with me to clarify everything for me. Need my hair cut, the staff take me to the hair dressers, tell them what I want and negotiate a price for me. When I left the hostel for 6 weeks to travel elsewhere, they even covered up my motorbike to stop it from getting dirty. When I needed to make sudden changes to my itinerary (I was in the north east of Peru rather than at the hostel), I emailed them and had them look for the cheapest flights available. Even though I was not going to use the travel agency on site, they were happy to do the leg work for me - for nothing! I could go on, but I think that is more than enough of a demonstration of how good the staff are. Particular thanks to Melissa, Joey (Manager) and Leo for all the help you imparted during my stay.

Miraflores...

It must be noted that Miraflores is a hotbed for petty criminals. In the time I was there, many tourists had cash or other valuables stolen from their hostels, in the park or local shops (pay particular attention in Starbucks despite the security guards). I personally had a laptop and other bits and pieces stolen from the hostel by local criminals who managed to walk in and out picking up anything on display. You really need to lock your gear up at all times, even if you are only planning to be a few seconds away from your gear. Parque Kennedy would be a decent place to relax in the shade, but it is rife with brazen drug peddlers and con artists. Lima is the only place in South America I have felt the need to ignore and/or proactively remove said individuals from harassing me.

Room Tip: If staying in the dorms, ask for the one nearest the bar (it is not noisy). This is the safest of th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a night and enjoyed the hostel. It has a nice outdoor area and good facilities. But being right on the main street, the noise from traffic and then from noisy people on the street was tough to bear. I was woken up more than once to rowdy kids on the street at 4am. Overall nice place.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I don't normally stay in hostels, but this time my friend convinced me too and i had an amazing time! This hostel has great service, a full bar, commons area, kitchen, warm water. Everything you need! It was very safe and in a perfect part of the city!

Room Tip: I stayed in the mixed dorm and met a lot of cool people.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We arrived from Ica on a Thursday night (over Easter Long Weekend). The plan wasn't to stay in Lima but to go on to Huaraz, however we missed our bus...problem is, Lima's heavily booked up during Easter week. So we got dropped off by the taxi near Parque Kennedy, and I'm familiar with Lima and a number of hostels. After walking to 3 or 4 hostels at 11:30 pm at night, I finally went to this Flying Dog, figuring that they would at least have space in ONE of their properties.

They didn't. I said to the woman, in good Spanish, that we had been walking for over half an hour and asked VERY politely if she would be willing to allow me to call a few hostels to see if one had availability. She was completely rude and one of the most unhappy looking hostel workers I've ever seen and she told me very curtly and rudely, "no, you'll have to keep walking". With all of our backpacks in the middle of the night in Miraflores being hassled every 10 seconds by people trying to sell us either drugs or prostitutes.

I asked her again, very politely once more, to PLEASE let us make a couple of phone calls. And even more rudely this time, she said "No. Please leave now." So we started to leave, and I turned around told her that her attitude and unwillingness to even help the tiniest little bit would be earning the hostel a horrible review.

Well, just our luck, there was another couple just coming back to the hostel and said they were allergic to the cats they have (wtf, what a stupid thing for a hostel to have when SO many people are allergic), and that they, too, had been put off by this absolutely despicable woman working at the front desk, so they were changing hostels. Being that it was midnight and we were exhausted after a long day of sandboarding in Huacachina and then a 6 hour bus ride, we asked if we could have their room, and she hesitantly gave it to us. But she glared at us for the rest of the night, only grudgingly gave us the wifi password after we asked her for it three times, and was overall the most horrible person I've ever met in a hostel.

The woman we checked out through the next day, she seemed to be a manager, was lovely, though when she asked us how our stay was, I wanted to tell her that her staff managed to completely ruin it for us. I didn't, because I didn't want to get into it and just wanted to get to our bus to go to Huaraz.

But the one woman as well as their cats made our stay very trying (we're also allergic to cats, just more mildly so than the couple who so graciously left us their beds).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MapleHoja
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here by myself for five nights in a large dorm. Flying Dog rotates their staff from their several hostels and the two guys at the front desk during my stay weren't as friendly or easy going as in other hostels during my month in Peru. My only interactions with them were behind the glass window and I felt like I was bothering them when asking a question. Smile more.

The facilities are nice, especially the garden patio in the back and lounge up top, but in my four days there, they were rarely used. The location is great, in the heart of Miraflores, which is good and bad. You can find cheap eats here if you look hard enough though, or you can pretend you're in America and blow your money in Larcomar or on Starbucks and Pinkberry next door. It was interesting that for breakfast you get a ticket that you take across the way (they have two buildings, it's easy to be confused at first) to a nice cafe in the plaza.

I'd probably try another hostel out next time, but they're a good safe bet if you're only using it as a base for day trips.

Room Tip: Don't choose the smaller dorm on the 2nd floor as the 8 people in the larger dorm have to walk t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My main reason for writing this one is because I arrived there unannounced and unfortunately there were no rooms available at either of there hostels. The person at the counter was super busy but made time to ensure that I had another place to go. I have relatively no Spanish up my sleeve and he ensured I got to where I needed to go without it seeming too much of a hassle, thank you man!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank LPM81
Reviewed January 14, 2013

One of my friends & I travel to Lima & Cusco over the memorial had holiday in June 2012. This was my first experience staying at hostel and got what was expecting. We had a private room at the three locations we stayed (2 in Lima & 1 in cusco). Staff were friendly and the best part was meeting folks from all across the world.

We spent two nights when we first arrived at the Double Tree Hotel by Hilton since I had enough points for a free stay. But my friend & I both thought we would have enjoyed just staying the hostel from the get go.

Room Tip: Spend a little more $ and get a private room! It will be well worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends