“Nice, if you like gaudy churches”

San Pedro Church (Iglesia de San Pedro)
Book In Advance
Ranked #26 of 333 things to do in Lima
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Built by the Jesuits in 1638, this ornate church features baroque altars decorated in gold leaf, several colonial paintings and La Abuelita, the oldest bell in Peru.
Busselton, Australia
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Nice, if you like gaudy churches”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Let me preface this review with a disclaimer: I have set foot in church rarely in my life. A couple of weddings (not my own) and a few sightseeing tours in various countries. Whilst I found this church interesting, I also found the some of the statuary/icons/whatever-you-call-'ems rather gruesome and a trifle disturbing. The Catholic church seems to have a fixation on the "suffering" bits of the Jesus story and not so much on the other 33 and how-ever-many years.

It is very fancy and extremely opulent so worth a quick look but I thought it was a tad grisly!

Visited August 2013
3 Thank JibsOz

• Korean first
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“A Local's Church”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Out of all the cathedrals and churches we visited in Lima. This one was spectacular and more of a feel of the local church. We were not bombarded with requests for a guide, we did not have to pay to get in, nor were there scads and scads of people trying to sell goods to us on our way in and out.

The church itself is wonderful and well preserved and quieter than other churches we visited so it was nice to sit and take it all in without a lot of distraction.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank ColoradoJojo
Tampa,Florida
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Awe inspiring”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Really beautiful church. This is a vision you don't want to miss.a quiet place for reflections and prayers. The surroundings are magnificent.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Tampa_FloridaWisher
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“The church with three doors”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The church is probably the most sumptuous church of Lima's Historic Center. When visiting the church, ask why its three doors are never open. It is a picturesque story that explains well how was Lima's society during colonial times.

Visited February 2013
Budapest, Hungary
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Impressive Church”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is a Jesuit Church I love. Its open in the mornings. I entered here without any guidance but I could enjoy it. However, if you have a guide I think you can profit your visit more. Its big, full of pictures who have been recently restored. If you are lucky you can access the Virgin de La O chapel which is near it. Also you can cross the street and enter to the Foreign Affairs Cultural centttre which is just in front and offers frequent exhibitions of photography, art and a great bookstore.

Visited July 2012