“Great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 226 Hotels in Lima
North Bend, Ohio
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

We also stayed here at the front and rear of our trip to Peru. The two nights at the beginning of the trip, our room was on the second floor, facing the courtyard. It was hot, but the unique fan they rigged to the ceiling (actually a tabletop-style oscillating fan) helped circulate the air from the small window in the room. Room was basic, with very poor lighting, so if you're planning to read anything at night, bring a headlamp. They didn't give any shampoo or lotions, just 2 very small bars of soap in the bathroom. Also, be prepared for dogs barking all night.
The area is very safe to walk at night and the hotel is just a few blocks from the square and all the restaurants, nightlife, and shopping one could want.
When we returned 10 days later we were given a much nicer room, but still dimly lit.
Our flight back to the US didn't leave until midnight, and we had to be out of the room by noon, so they locked up our 2 bags for us while we did some more sightseeing. We asked the desk clerk (a young man with zero personality) if we could return to the hotel and hang out in the large room off the lobby that had couches and tables for a couple hours till our driver came to get us at 8 p.m. He said "NO". We told him we had nowhere to go and since our bags were there in the lock-up, and we had stayed here a total of 4 nights, couldn't we just sit and read for an hour or two. "NO". We asked him if we could sit outside on the sidewalk. He answered "YES". We're hoping he just couldn't understand us. The staff really wasn't that personable.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

I stopped at this hotel twice during a package tour to Peru (after & before international flights)- the hotel was selected by my tour operator.

The first time I had room number 4 on the ground floor which frankly was terrible. Had it not been the case that I was wiped out after travelling 14 hours to get there, I would have complained but as it was, I could have slept on a bed of nails!

The room was dark, dingy and dpressing. The bathroom was in desperate need of modernisation. The room reminded me of what it must feel like to be in a prison cell. Fittings and fixtures were old and tired.

The room was also very, very noisy - being only a few paces away from reception.

However, on the second visit at the end of the tour, I had room 43 (about the furhest away from reception it is possible to get) and it was like being in a different hotel - much more modern room, more roomy and generally much more comfortable. No real complaints at all about this room.

The hotel itself seems quite nice - done out in old colonial style villa & the staff are friendly and helpful. It seems to be in a nice area of Lima (Miraflores) and it's easy enough (and seems safe)to walk to the main square of this district.

However, your stay will either be spoiled or enhanched by which room you get so choose carefully - not sure if they are refurbishing the rooms and I just got unlucky (as did several other members of our group) or if they really do have such a wide variation in the quality of the rooms.

I would have scored it 3 points if it wasn't for the first room we got.... avoid these 'old' rooms at al costs!

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank Jono_T

Travelers are raving about these Lima hotels

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

I thought this wa s great little place and good value.

From the outside it looks like an old spanish Villa. And inside the courtyard is a nice haven away from the city.

The rooms were a little outdated but they were clean and pleasant. Our room looked the same as one of the photos posted. Some of the other posts complained about noise but we didn't find it noisy at all.

The location is great. Its easy to walk to the beach area and Miraflores shops and restaurants. There are a lot of amenties close by - within a block or so is a supermarket, a laundry, courier service, a restaurant and stores.

The staff at from desk were helpful - they promptly called cabs, booked tours and exchanged money.

Breakfast was standard for Peru - tea, coffee, juice and bread with jam. we didn't eat any other meals there but the restaurant area was lovely.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DebDeb07
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

The school I was attending in Cusco booked me for an overnight in Lima. The hotel they usually use was full, so the travel agency booked me here. I got in very early in the morning and was told that there were no rooms available inside. I ended up in an outside room. The hotel appears to be an old mansion that was remodeled. What looks like the old gargages are outside with one on both sides of the main entrance. I ended up in the one on the right side.

The room was okay and the staff was nice, but the noise was awful. The taxis line up in front of the hotel during the night and wait to be called for a fare. So there were cars coming and going all night. Car doors slamming. People talking right outside my door. It was my first night in Peru and I was alone in the room, so I didn't like it at all.

If I had been inside I might have liked the hotel. I recommend against the outside rooms.

• Liked — Good location for visiting Miraflores.
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank Deguida
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

Noisy - only because the walls were thin...not because of bad guests - you could hear doors slamming and people clunking their suitcases on the stairs. Other than that, it was a nice place to stay and the staff were friendly and polite. I loved sitting in the courtyard relaxing. I would stay there again, but would bring my earplugs :)

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank CVfromTO
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed at the La Castellana in Dec 2007.The room was especially noisy because of building works next door.They work from 7am til 6pm and it looks like it will be happening for some time yet.The room smelled of something like chemicals,maybe carpet cleaner or insect repellent.We had cold water for a shower the first day and the next when we wanted a shower there was no water at all??When we told them there was no comment at all and no apology.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank mcpops
Fort Ogden, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2007

my tour operator ecs travel in lima made the arrangements
and i couldn;t have been more satisfied.staff bi ligual,attended our needs, meals were reasonable, ambience gave impression of staying in small castle like structure what with the marteel o tower on one end. we were within easy walking distance of all the main venues. nice and quiet. will keep your luggage while off travelling peru if you have a reservation to stay between trips. no charge. would stay here in a new york minute again.

• Liked — clean,spaciuos and very comfy
  • Disliked — would be nice if they had an elevator to second level
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple