“Outside Room Very Noisy”

Hotel La Castellana
Ranked #101 of 234 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed June 7, 2008

The school I was attending in Cusco booked me for an overnight in Lima. The hotel they usually use was full, so the travel agency booked me here. I got in very early in the morning and was told that there were no rooms available inside. I ended up in an outside room. The hotel appears to be an old mansion that was remodeled. What looks like the old gargages are outside with one on both sides of the main entrance. I ended up in the one on the right side.

The room was okay and the staff was nice, but the noise was awful. The taxis line up in front of the hotel during the night and wait to be called for a fare. So there were cars coming and going all night. Car doors slamming. People talking right outside my door. It was my first night in Peru and I was alone in the room, so I didn't like it at all.

If I had been inside I might have liked the hotel. I recommend against the outside rooms.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Deguida

Reviewed March 14, 2008

Noisy - only because the walls were thin...not because of bad guests - you could hear doors slamming and people clunking their suitcases on the stairs. Other than that, it was a nice place to stay and the staff were friendly and polite. I loved sitting in the courtyard relaxing. I would stay there again, but would bring my earplugs :)

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank CVfromTO
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed at the La Castellana in Dec 2007.The room was especially noisy because of building works next door.They work from 7am til 6pm and it looks like it will be happening for some time yet.The room smelled of something like chemicals,maybe carpet cleaner or insect repellent.We had cold water for a shower the first day and the next when we wanted a shower there was no water at all??When we told them there was no comment at all and no apology.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank mcpops
Reviewed December 22, 2007

my tour operator ecs travel in lima made the arrangements
and i couldn;t have been more satisfied.staff bi ligual,attended our needs, meals were reasonable, ambience gave impression of staying in small castle like structure what with the marteel o tower on one end. we were within easy walking distance of all the main venues. nice and quiet. will keep your luggage while off travelling peru if you have a reservation to stay between trips. no charge. would stay here in a new york minute again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kewatin
Reviewed November 21, 2007

This hotel was recommended by a relative,from a visit within the past 12 months.
However, our experience this month was less than satisfactory.Our first offered room was too noisy,so we were allowed to move.The quiet room had no hot water in the sink in the bathroom and no heat in the room at all.The windows and doors did not fit, so could not be properly closed.The room and bathroom were dirty.Thestaff,particularly in the breakfast room,were not interested in service at all.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DerekFGuadalajara
Reviewed August 2, 2007

The Hotel La Castellana is well-located in the Miraflores section of Lima. The hotel itself is beautiful, a colonial hacienda built around a courtyard garden with floors paved in Spanish tiles. My room ($48 a night), however, was motel-shabby with lumpy carpeting, a thin blanket and thin bedspread on the bed, cold tile floor in bathroom with two little rubber mats and two windows so old they couldn't be closed. Lima at this time of year (July) is cold, gray and drizzly. My room was freezing! There was a hair blower in the bathroom that did not work, two wires sticking out were taped over. From my room I could hear everything going on in the lobby & kitchen. People walking down the tiled hallways with their luggage sounded like they were in a bowling alley. Although the staff was very nice and helpful, I can't recommend the Castellana.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SharonLosAngeles
Reviewed June 8, 2007

Peaceful location in Miraflores - walking distance to artesan markets. Taxi to central Lima can take up to 45 mins but Miraflores is a cooler (temperature wise) and apparently safer area to stay in. The hotel is past it's best - fixtures and fittings are a bit worn and dated but the rooms we had were a great size, beds were good, ceiling fans were welcome in the 40 degree heat. We didn't eat in the hotel apart from breakfast but had lovely toast and freshly made coffee (which was delicious) brought to us. Reception useful in arranging airport taxis etc.

• Stayed: February 2007