“Wouldn't recommend!”

Kamana Hotel
Kamana Hotel
Ranked #177 of 229 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Sent to this hotel through our Tucan tour. The first 2 nights we stayed in a dark and dingy room with 2 ancient fans and the view of brick walls. Wasn't so pleasant. Then our tour ended we stayed back in for another 2 nights and we were put in another room with awful camp beds. One fan that was so dusty and dirty. then just before bed i saw a small bug which looked to be a cockroach.!! Yuk! Couldn't catch the thing so slept in fear. I would say the only good thing is the location , wifi and friendly staff (they helped me recover my missing luggage from the airline) Other than that not so good. I was advise not to stay here unless you have to and its a 1 night stay. Oh also WARNING do not get your laundry done here. We had no price list and they charge per item. When we went down to pay they tried to charge us 120 soles!! Which is around £35. Outrageous!!

Overall I would not recommend!

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Kamana Hotel

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that it is close to all the main attractions. The main shopping mall is one street over, the post office on the same road and there is a great eatery attached to the restaurant called Mr Koala (saving grace of our stay get the Lemon Grande so good). WIFI connection is great !

The hotel doesn't have much else going for it. Our room was small and the lifts and rooms smell like damp floors. No air con and the windows have no fly mesh.. so you either deal with mosquitoes or no air movement at all. Even when it cooled outside the rooms did not cool down. We did have one small wall mounted fan to push the hot damp air around. Beds are hard.

Whilst we were here there was a bit of construction going on too on the floor above us, and our bathroom channeled the work mens radio from the top floor (we had a hole in the wall where i am guessing a air vent may have been). Made for interesting showers,

Another good point is that everyone has been lovely... but i still would not bother. We stayed as the starting point to a tour but i would have not stay here if given the choice.

Room Tip: Take the front rooms in summer as there is plenty of air flow !
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ischaa R
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I'm not picky when it comes to hotels. But hotel kamana....don't waste your time. The only thing going for it is location. That's it. The beds are horrible. I really believe it would have been more comfortable to sleep on the floor, while someone poked me in the eye every 10 seconds. Staff there are helpful and the tv is the newest addition to the room in about half a century. So there's a plus.
What else...oh and the smell. It was like a punch in the face when you open the door to your room. This was what the tour company had booked and was glad I only had 1 night there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank W S
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was here for several nights. Kamana is located in a really great place. Everyone tells you, usually, to go and stay in Miraflores. But here, you are within walking distance of the city center, historic buildings, and the main market. You are not close enough to the center center, however, for the price to be outrageous. So, it is an option for those who are more interested in the historical center of Lima. I would also agree with another reviewer that while the hotel was certainly not dirty in a lot of ways, I did happen to see a few roaches. The noise coming from the street was also very distracting. I would imagine more so on really hot days if you feel like you must keep the windows open to air the place out a bit. Still, the bathroom was probably the nicest I've seen so far in any of the commercial lodgings I've seen while in Peru. The wifi worked on my laptop. The staff was friendly and would help with directions or giving change. They also keep a non threatening security guard outside the place as you come in, which might make visitors feel safer. One word of advice to make sure any tours or groups would be willing to drop you off or pick you up here since it is a bit farther than the usual touristy hotel route.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Muckwa_Bear
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed before and after a tour of Peru and like most of the other reviewers on here I can agree that it hits the major buttons. The hotel is centrally located within the historic district, within easy walking distance to the Plaza del Armas, a large local supermarket and the local pedestrian shopping streets. The hotel itself is not going to win any architectural awards for style etc, but the rooms are large, relatively clean and most come with a table and chairs, flatscreen TV and a couch. The front desk staff are friendly and willing to help when they can; organising a reputable cab to the airport and assisting with the printing of boarding passes etc. The hotel has free WIFI everywhere and two PC's in reception for internet use and the Koala Cafe restaurant attached to the hotel has decent cheap food anytime day or night.

As a tip: ask for a room not on street side - the view will be terrible, but you will sleep at night and not be woken up at 5am by the ever-present horn tooting that is a daily occurrence in Lima.

Room Tip: Anything that isn't on street side!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sazmcphee
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Standard big city centre hotel. Friendly staff, good size rooms and a great restaurant (Koala cafe). Great location, only 1 block from Jiron de la Union pedestrian street, and close to the Plaza de Armas and Plaza San Martin, make this a recommendable hotel if you need to stay in Lima centro.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mark7780
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 1 night in October, 2012 and it was the worst traveling experience I've ever had. The hotel smelled bad. But worst of all, I used the travel agency (Free Tourist Information) endorsed by the hotel. The woman who runs the agency, Pocha Cruz, criminally cheated and hoaxed us. One of the services we bought from her was the flight from Cuzco to Lima. She said the flight ticket would be $230. The truth is she bought the air tickets from StarPeru (a much cheaper airline than LAN) which only cost $70. (we figured out the real price later by asking our flight neighbors). She also booked a hotel in Arequipa without our consent. In order to make us stay in that hotel, she lied to us that our payment to her included the hotel. But when we arrived in the hotel, the hotel management said it was definitely not paid. I'm deeply disappointed in her dishonest service and would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family