“Nice and convenient”

Kamana Hotel
Kamana Hotel
Ranked #173 of 236 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I found this to be a nice hotel. It was clean, had very friendly and extremely helpful staff and they served a good breakfast. It's smack in the middle of the historic Lima Centro, making it very convenient for wandering around and checking out the sites, or for going out to dinner. It was a good hotel for what we needed - a place to sleep while we toured around. Maybe the people on this site that are full of complaints aren't actually leaving the hotel to learn about Peru and are expecting it to be some sort of spa. The only thing to keep in mind is that it IS smack in the middle of the city, so if noise bothers you, you probably should find something else outside of Lima.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank CherylEss

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I began my group tour at this hotel...the rooms were filthy to the point of not wanting to hang my towel on the rack. The staff is very accommodating aside from not being able to make the noise stop (banging was changed to sanding). Finishing my group tour and staying at the Kamana was worse. Upon arriving in my room I had a 10 minute battle with a large spider in the bathroom. After getting about 5 hours of sleep on the one morning I had in 21 days to sleep in I was abruptly woken up by a worker doing demolition work in the lobby which echoed to my room. Upon asking the manager to quiet the work down I was met with an apology but the banging only changed to a loud scraping, again forcing me out of bed. After getting out of bed I realized I had an enormous spider bite on my back...I guess my previous combatant had a family looking for vengeance in my bedroom. Needless to say I will never be staying at the Kamana again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed here as part of a Tucan tour. Was very disappointed with this hotel, the hotel is dirty and outdated. I dont mind basic hotel, but unclean rooms and specially dirty toilets is totally unacceptable.

The only good thing is of course the location, right in the historical center of Lima. Other than that I have nothing good to say about this hotel. Its time Tucan stopped using this hotel as a starting point for their tours.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank preeths1472
Reviewed March 12, 2011

My parents and I stayed in this hotel when traveling to Lima for pleasure. The hotel it's self is very basic but I've never seen service like it anywhere. They bent over backwards to assist us and memorized our names immediately. The security guard in front helped us hail "safe" taxi's and helped us bargain for the best rates.

There were safes in the room, the front desk kept our key when we went out and they were willing to store luggage when we where heading out. They moved us to and from larger and smaller rooms as the size of our group changed, even giving my parents the larger room and the same price when they came back a second time a week later.

The rooms were pretty large but basic. Most of the middle class hotels in Peru are not fancy. If you go to the tourist hotels you can probably get nicer accomodations but your more likely to run into locals at a place like this. The room was clean, with one exception - the carpeting had not been shampooed in awhile. It did not look dirty but my socks got dirty walking on the carpeting, so I just kept my sandals on.

There was reliable hot water and water pressure, and this is no small feat in Peru and most the hotels I stayed in did not. This hotel provided linens, soap and toilet paper - all of which I often had to request at hotels in the Cusco region.

The location was great, very near the Plaza del Armas and not too far a walk to China town (which is a definate must see - the market is very interesting with fresh meats hanging and great fruit and vegetables), many attractions in walking distance as well. A large popular shopping mall was nearby as well.

The area was a little noisy at night, the windows were single pain and let in the sounds of a band playing nearby. I personally enjoyed the extra ambiance of the city but if you like quiet it could present a problem for you.

In a nutshell the hotel is safe, with excellent service and in a good location for walking to places. Accomodations are basic and functional. I would stay here again. However, if you prefer westernized accomodation standards when you travel internationally I would not recommend it for you.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank traveler53719
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Good location, good wifi and cable TV. Dodgy looking entrance but once inside they have a cheerful looking bar and restaurant. Helpful doorman. No air-con, just a wall fan. Dingy corridor and dirty looking carpet in room. Good hot shower but need to run water for a while first, common in Peru. Good enough for a nite or two stay, not beyond that. Anyway most tourists in Lima would likely be there for just a couple of nites enroute to Nazca, Cusco, Machu Pichu, etc., where hotels are in much better condition. For $32/ nite, you probably get what you pay for.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Stayed there for one night as part of a tour. Location is very busy but close to sights. hotel itself is dark and a bit dingy. Rooms dated and uninviting. I thought the staff were unhelpful and just didn't seem to be bothered about anything. Wouldn't stay there unless it was part of the tour.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed there with a friend as part of a Tucan tour - it was booked for us, and if I knew then what I know now, I would probably have tried to stay elsewhere.

A lot is said in previous reviews that I'm not going to repeat here; but in brief, the negatives where:
- grotty rooms
- generally unkempt and "tired" above the entrance foyer
- we didn't have a window that opened to the outside in our room; thus no fresh air
- damp smell in room wardrobe
- attached cafe is expensive relative to others around

On the plus side, they provide free wifi, which was a godsend to me.
Any dealings I had with the staff were fantastic - they couldn't do enough for us.

The location, on the up side, is great - within walking distance of two of the main squares in Lima, and smack bang in the historic centre

Overall my negative feeling was towards Tucan, rather than this hotel. I think Tucan use cheap accommodation to maximise their own profits, which leaves customers feeling a little cold when they end up in low-end hotels such as the Kamana.

If you know what you're paying for [and I think the cost for this hotel was about €48 per room per night, room only] and know that it's a low-end hotel before you get there - i think it might not be so bad.

But would I stay there again if I had a choice? No.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends