“Slightly flawed, but still a gem”
Review of Gran Hotel Bolivar

Gran Hotel Bolivar
Ranked #76 of 230 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Many criticisms you hear of this hotel are true, but I loved every moment of my visit!

I stayed at the Bolivar for three days during a two-week trip to Perú, and it was by far my favorite accommodation of the trip. For me, the selling points were the beauty of the building, the graciousness of the staff, and the perfect location in Lima's historic center, with the lovely Plaza San Martín right out front (be sure to stop at the hotel bar, El Bolivarcito, and enjoy wonderful nighttime views of the plaza while sipping a pisco sour...).

Unlike anywhere else I stayed in Perú, this hotel did not seem to cater exclusively to tourists -- for example, other guests I saw during my Bolivar stay included businesspeople, a middle-school athletic group from Cusco (well behaved), and so forth. Compared with much more touristy experiences in the Sacred Valley, my time at the Bolivar actually felt like a real slice of South American life.

There were some drawbacks. The bed was not very comfortable, and the one dinner I had there was not great. Also, there was a sign in the bathroom warning guests not to plug anything into the wall socket except, I believe, an electric razor.

Still, I thought the elegant, unique atmosphere of the place more than made up for its quirks. I really hope to return to Lima some day and stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers may want to ask for a room facing the interior courtyard. If you can stand a bit of t...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed March 27, 2012

On a first view, hotel seems quite nice. Old-fashioned and stylish. But when you enter the room, all magic disappears. Toilet was horrible and room was like it has never been renovated since opening before 100 years. Breakfast was also very poor for a hotel with 4 stars. I think that Lima has much better hotels for the same price. This hotel has only name and old glory. Who cares for the fact that Rollingstones has been there?

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I read about this hotel on tripadvisor before I went, so I felt like I knew what to expect. A lot of the reviews here say the same thing I would say - it's a gorgeous hotel with a lot of charm. The room was very large and classy. The location was perfect for us - it's right on the Plaza de Armas, so you can easily walk to a number of historic sites. And it felt safe as we walked, even at night.

When we first arrived at the hotel, it was about midnight and it looked so majestic with the lights on it. Then the power in the whole neighborhood went out literally as we arrived. The staff didn't seem to surprised, so maybe this happens a lot in this neighborhood. It was really hot that night without any air moving. But then we found out that the A/C doesn't work anyway, so the next night was equally hot. And the bed was seriously hard as a rock. Like camping & sleeping on the ground. So we didn't sleep too well.

So I guess I would say that if you can deal with a hard bed & a warm room, it's probably worth it to stay in a charming hotel in a good area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Beautiful glass dome, nice lobby. Location in downtown Lima is excellent. That's it. Hotel is outdated. Rooms are big, the furniture is uncomfortable, the bed is hard. If you happen to stay on a night when the ball room is in use, it is really loud. Plumbing is old, hot water not always available. There is no A/C. No hair dryer. Breakfast is simple, served by staff.. Staff is very helpful and will make every effort to accommodate your requests. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Checked-in round 1pm, wanted to take a shower but... No water at all!!! Only after I asked for a menager of hotel, water came!
Broken and VERY OLD toiletseat, bathtub old, rusty, rooms not redecorated or renovated for decades.
The only positive side of hotel is location and very nice lobby, but corridors and all the rest look like from a horror movie.
And all that for 85 dollars/night for a double room!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 17, 2012

On a two-night business trip to Lima, I wanted a location close to the historic district, so I could walk around during my limited time off. I like historic properties, so I chose the Gran Hotel Bolivar, being wiling to compromise on amenities. Upon arrival, I saw the majestic external structure, the stained glass ceiling, and the Model T Ford in the lobby. But from there it all went downhill. The guy behind the desk could have cared less about guests. My room was hot and humid, with a broken air conditioning (A/C) switch. A bathroom window pane was missing, and the place smelled musty at best. When I complained, the guy at the desk still cared less and said that that the hotel did not have A/C, but they could make a fan available.

Since I was on a short business trip, I decided to move on. i did not need this sort of hassle. So I used the hotel's wifi to locate a great alternative in Miraflores - the Antigua Miraflores Hotel. It was not close to the historic, but it was in a wonderful neighborhood with a terrific restaurant across the street.

The Gran Hotel Bolivar needs a large hotel chain with a respect for historic properties to take it over and do something with it. Until such time, I recommend that people stay away from it. THIS HOTEL IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time with this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank stan w
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Nice, old style hotel in the real heart of Lima. And actual its location and style (end of XIX I think - also the rooms) was what I liked the most. It makes your visit to Lima more.. exotic. Bathroom – also old style - looked nice but I would expect better shower and some A/C. As mentioned - street is quite noisy and it’s not easy to rest or sleep while windows are open. Hotel restaurant is ok, food quite good. But the staff, both at the reception and in the restaurant is slow. Would I recommend this hotel – yes, for weekend trip to Lima for instance. For longer stay I would rather look for some hotel with more comfy beds and A/C.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends